2004 Volvo V40 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V40 model:
Bitter-Sweet Feelings for the Vovo V40
By BrainEdge on 07/08/08 16:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

On the first long trip, the engine light came up. Then again, and again. For the first 2000 miles drive, the car was 15 days in the dealership service bay. Then, the best feature of its turbo was not set right. The dash lights keep coming up every now and then without any pattern. Still not fully 'exorcised' and the warranty is over. I will probably never buy a Volvo again, safety or no safety! If your car transmission dies suddenly on a freeway, I don't know how you call it safe or reliable. But only one thing I like about it, the peppy turbo charged engine. Muscle car drivers hate its guts!

Worst car ever?
By I Hate Volvo on 11/09/04 18:24 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

back brake pads went out before front pads. The volvo tech basically told me that it was common but there was nothing that he could do about it. Volvo didn't even bother to respond. Car handles like a banana on wheels, the interior is awful and the seats now that are worn, feel like they are filled with straw. Do I hate it? YEAH! Why don't I sell it, because I'd have to sell it for 12k and I am into it at 27K. Think that I am joking, try to trade one in and then you'll see the grim reality. Buy a used BMW 325 Wagon, better everything!!!! I hate this CAR!

My Volvo V40 Experience
By silver bullet on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is absolutely the smoothest driving automobile ever. I've driven them all. It is my wife's car. She loves the size since it is easy to park. The miliage is very good. Interior comfort is excellent.

Superb Compact Wagon
By rachmaninov1 on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The car is great for families with small children who want an entry-level luxury car. Seats: In both short trips and hundred mile journeys, the driver and passenger front seats are extremely comfortable. However, a rear seat with integrated booster can feel awkard at first. Leather is beautiful, rugged, and cleans easily. Handling: Extremely responsive, though steering is tighter than I had expected. Acceleration: 170hp w/ Turbo provides a smooth, powerful push. Braking: Very strong; have not had problems with pads. Stereo: Takes a while to get used to knob-only control. Rich sound. No satellite option.

Buy a BMW or Audi instead
By George M on 05/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased this car recently...back brake pads needed to be replaced, it is a common problem according to the service people at the dealer but they refused to cover under warranty. The paint on the car is very soft and scratches very easily. Overall is an okay car, not worth the money. It is our fist and last Volvo, customer service is a joke! Don't buy this car, the BMW is going to be our next mini wagon, a much more solid car that only costs a few thousand dollars more.

Love this car
By Njooshka on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is a great combination of performance and practicality. It is fun to drive, gets great gas milage and has plenty of storage.

V-40 Hot
By daddy daniel on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

After owning a 1987 Toyota truck for 17 years I wanted a car that was quick, fun to drive on highways and city st, I live in San Francisco. I looked at a number of wagons, and found my V-40 to be just what I was looking for. Safety, fun, very sexy. mpg 24.7 in the city and 30.2 on the highway. I don't think this is a family wagon, but for singles or couples who like long weekends all year round, or a shop till you drop Queen. I use mine to drive the coast to see my horse to the south of the city and weekend resort trips. City driving is easy I can sit in traffic with cars costing thousands more.

Money Well Spent
By gilp on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I never thought I'd be driving a Volvo station wagon...but the V40 SPORT changed all that. Looks, performance, comfort - I could have purchased a similarly equiped Jetta Wagon for the same amount of money...I'd rather have a Volvo on my driveway. Take itr for a test drive and you'll know what I mean! VERY highly recommended!

misunderstood
By Danick on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

North American People don't know how to appreciate a real good car!