Used 2004 Volvo V40 Base Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V40 model:

Consultant's Car
By SRH

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This was our first Volvo purchase. We wanted a car that was safe, but fuel efficient. We also wanted a car that was flexible enough to be both our family car, but also a respectable car to be driven for my consulting work. The V40 fit the bill. I have to drive both short distances in city traffic as well as long distances on highways and the V40 handles both nicely. Four years later I still love my car. I would buy another.

Favorite Features

Handling, seat comfort, available options, storage capacity, fuel efficiency, general style and safety.

Suggested Improvements

Next model year changed the exterior features that I wasn't so pleased with, better brakes (they work well, but pads need to be replaced too frequently).

Transmission issue
By logiclane

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have 37,000 miles on mine, and it has been a great car for highway travel. I too have had the transmission hangup issue, which the dealer was able to diagnose and replace the shift control unit under warranty. I drive on the highway quite a bit, and like the solid, heavy feel of the car without it driving like a tank.

Volvo replaces a winner
By siwanoy

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I don't understand why Volvo replaced this pure winner in 2005. We went shopping for a Mini or something similar to offset the gas guzzling mileage of our SUVs and found this V40 wagon small enough, wonderfully fuel efficient (occasionally averaging 30 mpgs for a tankful), with quality fit and finish and ever so much more practical than compact sedans. It is responsive in every way, has been great in the snow, and is fun to drive. It is the perfect car for an empty nest couple who still need to move things from place to place and are still young enough to want a great driving drive vehicle.

Favorite Features

styling, handling, nifty cargo storage extras (belts, nets), gas mileage, quality cabin, intuitive controls

Suggested Improvements

A simpler radio, ground clearance in front too low, bigger rear view mirror would be a plus

Low Reliability, High Maintenance!
By rgmurphy

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Second set of brakes being replaced after only 89000 KMS (55000 miles). Rear brake pads and discs failed after 24000 miles, replacement of pads and discs= brake job. Now front brakes, pads and discs have failed with rear breaks @ 40%. Typical service is no maintenance but diagonistics with simple oil change costing minimum of $200 and full service around $400. Break jobs are $1000 (CDN) Brakes are not warranteed items and no wonder why. New brake pads and disc on back order in Ottawa and require special delivery and no wonder why. Volvo for life sentence or 15000 miles which ever is less. Never again Volvo. Switching to Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Nissan.

Favorite Features

Nice to drive but..... very high maintenance costs, poor warrantee, difficult to get service dates (1 month in Ottawa).

Suggested Improvements

New V50 fixes issues with offer of standard transmission. Problem is related to substandard brakes for North American driving conditions and Automatic transmission.

Great Car
By Rabbit Volvo

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car to replace a perfectly good honda civic as a reward for quitting smoking. I picked this car out of the beetle, element, and audi wagon because it has versitility, styling, and is great to drive. I can have kids, get a dog, and still keep this car, yet I am single and my friends want to ride with me when we go backpacking. The price was only a bit more than the rather poorly finished element with the $4000 off invoice.

Favorite Features

It gets 23 MPG around town and 33 MPG on the highway and still has lots of go. Better than my civic, though it does require premium gas.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger side pockets on doors. I need a place to put my purse. Have ignition key up higher as dangling keys hit my knees now.