2004 Volvo V40 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V40 model:
Consultant's Car
By SRH on 12/14/08 12:59 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This was our first Volvo purchase. We wanted a car that was safe, but fuel efficient. We also wanted a car that was flexible enough to be both our family car, but also a respectable car to be driven for my consulting work. The V40 fit the bill. I have to drive both short distances in city traffic as well as long distances on highways and the V40 handles both nicely. Four years later I still love my car. I would buy another.

Transmission issue
By logiclane on 07/26/05 16:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have 37,000 miles on mine, and it has been a great car for highway travel. I too have had the transmission hangup issue, which the dealer was able to diagnose and replace the shift control unit under warranty. I drive on the highway quite a bit, and like the solid, heavy feel of the car without it driving like a tank.

Volvo replaces a winner
By siwanoy on 12/22/04 22:26 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I don't understand why Volvo replaced this pure winner in 2005. We went shopping for a Mini or something similar to offset the gas guzzling mileage of our SUVs and found this V40 wagon small enough, wonderfully fuel efficient (occasionally averaging 30 mpgs for a tankful), with quality fit and finish and ever so much more practical than compact sedans. It is responsive in every way, has been great in the snow, and is fun to drive. It is the perfect car for an empty nest couple who still need to move things from place to place and are still young enough to want a great driving drive vehicle.

Low Reliability, High Maintenance!
By rgmurphy on 09/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Second set of brakes being replaced after only 89000 KMS (55000 miles). Rear brake pads and discs failed after 24000 miles, replacement of pads and discs= brake job. Now front brakes, pads and discs have failed with rear breaks @ 40%. Typical service is no maintenance but diagonistics with simple oil change costing minimum of $200 and full service around $400. Break jobs are $1000 (CDN) Brakes are not warranteed items and no wonder why. New brake pads and disc on back order in Ottawa and require special delivery and no wonder why. Volvo for life sentence or 15000 miles which ever is less. Never again Volvo. Switching to Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Nissan.

Great Car
By Rabbit Volvo on 06/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car to replace a perfectly good honda civic as a reward for quitting smoking. I picked this car out of the beetle, element, and audi wagon because it has versitility, styling, and is great to drive. I can have kids, get a dog, and still keep this car, yet I am single and my friends want to ride with me when we go backpacking. The price was only a bit more than the rather poorly finished element with the $4000 off invoice.

Great car
By VVolvo on 05/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is one fun car to drive. It is small but capable of handling large loads. The steering is tight and responsive. Sleek and solid.

My first Wagon
By arness on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I recently purchased a new V40 and so far, I was quite impressed with the features that it came with for the money. The seats are comfortable as well as the ride without eliminating the road feel (I have 16” wheels with 50 series tires). The V40 is a perfect family car and perfectly fits my needs of hauling family and groceries without the gas mileage of an SUV and most of all; it is a very SAFE car. I like the quality of fit and finish of my Audi A4 better but I would say I get more value on the V40 for the money I paid for it. It is definitely a better choice than any other common SUV since it is not only practical but it looks good on my driveway.

Outstanding Quality
By johnnie on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This vehicle is extremely comfortable and has an incredible ride. I highly recommend it for singles, married couples, and couples with young children, as the rear seating area (leg room)is a little snug.

New to Volvo
By jsb1970 on 04/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first Volvo and I love it. The design inside and out is fabulous. The turbo engine is very smooth and the power and torque are very good. I was pleasantly surprised by the kick that this engine has (way more than the Toyota Camry I traded in)! The seats are great and were designed by an orthopedist (find your "sweet spot" and you'll never want to get out of the car).

V40
By fjpost on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

It's really a great car, though it is a bit tight. The new model promises to be bigger. It's a wonderful drive and basically, bought off lease, the same price as a Honda Accord or new Civic. It has more style and zoom however, and a really excellent warrantly (100,000).