Used 2004 Volvo V40 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V40 model:

Consultant's Car
By SRH

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This was our first Volvo purchase. We wanted a car that was safe, but fuel efficient. We also wanted a car that was flexible enough to be both our family car, but also a respectable car to be driven for my consulting work. The V40 fit the bill. I have to drive both short distances in city traffic as well as long distances on highways and the V40 handles both nicely. Four years later I still love my car. I would buy another.

Favorite Features

Handling, seat comfort, available options, storage capacity, fuel efficiency, general style and safety.

Suggested Improvements

Next model year changed the exterior features that I wasn't so pleased with, better brakes (they work well, but pads need to be replaced too frequently).

Bitter-Sweet Feelings for the Vovo V40
By BrainEdge

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

On the first long trip, the engine light came up. Then again, and again. For the first 2000 miles drive, the car was 15 days in the dealership service bay. Then, the best feature of its turbo was not set right. The dash lights keep coming up every now and then without any pattern. Still not fully 'exorcised' and the warranty is over. I will probably never buy a Volvo again, safety or no safety! If your car transmission dies suddenly on a freeway, I don't know how you call it safe or reliable. But only one thing I like about it, the peppy turbo charged engine. Muscle car drivers hate its guts!

Favorite Features

Definitely the turbocharged engine. The premium sound is enthralling. Headlight wipers do attract nice comments from drive-thru window attendants. Compared to my Camry's soft suspension, I like V40 sportier suspension.

Suggested Improvements

I would have said to Volvo company to discontinue this car but they already did it and nothing compares V40 styling other than their SUV.

Transmission issue
By logiclane

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have 37,000 miles on mine, and it has been a great car for highway travel. I too have had the transmission hangup issue, which the dealer was able to diagnose and replace the shift control unit under warranty. I drive on the highway quite a bit, and like the solid, heavy feel of the car without it driving like a tank.

Volvo replaces a winner
By siwanoy

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I don't understand why Volvo replaced this pure winner in 2005. We went shopping for a Mini or something similar to offset the gas guzzling mileage of our SUVs and found this V40 wagon small enough, wonderfully fuel efficient (occasionally averaging 30 mpgs for a tankful), with quality fit and finish and ever so much more practical than compact sedans. It is responsive in every way, has been great in the snow, and is fun to drive. It is the perfect car for an empty nest couple who still need to move things from place to place and are still young enough to want a great driving drive vehicle.

Favorite Features

styling, handling, nifty cargo storage extras (belts, nets), gas mileage, quality cabin, intuitive controls

Suggested Improvements

A simpler radio, ground clearance in front too low, bigger rear view mirror would be a plus

Worst car ever?
By I Hate Volvo

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

back brake pads went out before front pads. The volvo tech basically told me that it was common but there was nothing that he could do about it. Volvo didn't even bother to respond. Car handles like a banana on wheels, the interior is awful and the seats now that are worn, feel like they are filled with straw. Do I hate it? YEAH! Why don't I sell it, because I'd have to sell it for 12k and I am into it at 27K. Think that I am joking, try to trade one in and then you'll see the grim reality. Buy a used BMW 325 Wagon, better everything!!!! I hate this CAR!

Favorite Features

That is silver.

Suggested Improvements

Absolutely everything.