2004 Volvo V40 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V40 model:
Consultant's Car
By SRH on 12/14/08 12:59 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This was our first Volvo purchase. We wanted a car that was safe, but fuel efficient. We also wanted a car that was flexible enough to be both our family car, but also a respectable car to be driven for my consulting work. The V40 fit the bill. I have to drive both short distances in city traffic as well as long distances on highways and the V40 handles both nicely. Four years later I still love my car. I would buy another.

Bitter-Sweet Feelings for the Vovo V40
By BrainEdge on 07/08/08 16:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

On the first long trip, the engine light came up. Then again, and again. For the first 2000 miles drive, the car was 15 days in the dealership service bay. Then, the best feature of its turbo was not set right. The dash lights keep coming up every now and then without any pattern. Still not fully 'exorcised' and the warranty is over. I will probably never buy a Volvo again, safety or no safety! If your car transmission dies suddenly on a freeway, I don't know how you call it safe or reliable. But only one thing I like about it, the peppy turbo charged engine. Muscle car drivers hate its guts!

Transmission issue
By logiclane on 07/26/05 16:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have 37,000 miles on mine, and it has been a great car for highway travel. I too have had the transmission hangup issue, which the dealer was able to diagnose and replace the shift control unit under warranty. I drive on the highway quite a bit, and like the solid, heavy feel of the car without it driving like a tank.

Volvo replaces a winner
By siwanoy on 12/22/04 22:26 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I don't understand why Volvo replaced this pure winner in 2005. We went shopping for a Mini or something similar to offset the gas guzzling mileage of our SUVs and found this V40 wagon small enough, wonderfully fuel efficient (occasionally averaging 30 mpgs for a tankful), with quality fit and finish and ever so much more practical than compact sedans. It is responsive in every way, has been great in the snow, and is fun to drive. It is the perfect car for an empty nest couple who still need to move things from place to place and are still young enough to want a great driving drive vehicle.

Worst car ever?
By I Hate Volvo on 11/09/04 18:24 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

back brake pads went out before front pads. The volvo tech basically told me that it was common but there was nothing that he could do about it. Volvo didn't even bother to respond. Car handles like a banana on wheels, the interior is awful and the seats now that are worn, feel like they are filled with straw. Do I hate it? YEAH! Why don't I sell it, because I'd have to sell it for 12k and I am into it at 27K. Think that I am joking, try to trade one in and then you'll see the grim reality. Buy a used BMW 325 Wagon, better everything!!!! I hate this CAR!

Low Reliability, High Maintenance!
By rgmurphy on 09/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Second set of brakes being replaced after only 89000 KMS (55000 miles). Rear brake pads and discs failed after 24000 miles, replacement of pads and discs= brake job. Now front brakes, pads and discs have failed with rear breaks @ 40%. Typical service is no maintenance but diagonistics with simple oil change costing minimum of $200 and full service around $400. Break jobs are $1000 (CDN) Brakes are not warranteed items and no wonder why. New brake pads and disc on back order in Ottawa and require special delivery and no wonder why. Volvo for life sentence or 15000 miles which ever is less. Never again Volvo. Switching to Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Nissan.

My Volvo V40 Experience
By silver bullet on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is absolutely the smoothest driving automobile ever. I've driven them all. It is my wife's car. She loves the size since it is easy to park. The miliage is very good. Interior comfort is excellent.

Great Car
By Rabbit Volvo on 06/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car to replace a perfectly good honda civic as a reward for quitting smoking. I picked this car out of the beetle, element, and audi wagon because it has versitility, styling, and is great to drive. I can have kids, get a dog, and still keep this car, yet I am single and my friends want to ride with me when we go backpacking. The price was only a bit more than the rather poorly finished element with the $4000 off invoice.

Superb Compact Wagon
By rachmaninov1 on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon LSE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The car is great for families with small children who want an entry-level luxury car. Seats: In both short trips and hundred mile journeys, the driver and passenger front seats are extremely comfortable. However, a rear seat with integrated booster can feel awkard at first. Leather is beautiful, rugged, and cleans easily. Handling: Extremely responsive, though steering is tighter than I had expected. Acceleration: 170hp w/ Turbo provides a smooth, powerful push. Braking: Very strong; have not had problems with pads. Stereo: Takes a while to get used to knob-only control. Rich sound. No satellite option.

Great car
By VVolvo on 05/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is one fun car to drive. It is small but capable of handling large loads. The steering is tight and responsive. Sleek and solid.