2003 Volvo V40 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (21 reviews )
Fine used car
By gordon on 06/27/10 09:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased this in 2009 with 38,000 miles on it. Have put 2 2,000 mile trips on it and averaged 39 mpg. Around town it gets around 22 mpg. Car has plenty of zip and handles well. Both my wife and I find the seats comfortable. The lumbar support helps. A/C blows cold and have had no work other than regular maintenance done on it. Would recommend as used car.

Why Europeans tend to get it right
By Adam Lausch on 05/21/10 15:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I must say that this is truly a unique car. I've rated it as unbiased as tough as I can. I simply love to drive it, and I've owned some pretty nice vehicles. I think one of its major downfalls is that Volvo didn't offer a manual transmission, that would be a blast. I love the V50s, but we were able to find a very nice V40 with low miles for $6K. I couldn't pass it up. So far I've have the check engine light come on once, and I think the ignition timing may have been off a bit. So I changed out a set of new high-performance plugs, and it's running superbly. Good performance, not great. It's so comfortable as well. Why buy a SUV for a small family when there are fun and economic wagons like this

From Volvo patriot to to Volvo hostage
By bigalexk on 11/25/08 10:16 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The car was a subject of three repairs by warranty including one when I stuck in the road and the car was towed to an auto repair shop. After the warranty the owning of the car has turned into financial disaster. The car is purposely design to exclude or hinder repair by the owner. Now my car is 6 years old having 73000 miles on odometer and it has serious transmission problem. The repair costs so much that I cannot afford it. The car is filled with manufacturing defects and bad design solutions. While it was in repairs and I had chance driving S40 and V50. I found them even worse. What a big mistake I made when I got into this Volvo bondage!

Great car. Would like more room.
By DBK on 01/23/05 22:08 PM (PST)

2003 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really love this car. It handles beautifully. The safety components (that are standard on all Volvos are very rare on other cars. Great heating/ac system and thermostat. Had some problems with the back latch. Other than that, the car has been reliable and very enjoyable to drive.

v-40
By Patwest on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

It is almost as heavy as my old '95 850T (which had 210000 on it). Handles like a larger car. It has a lot of zip with the turbo engine. It U-turns in 3 lanes. Plenty of room for a bike, wheelchair, or lots of luggage. Middle seat is short, but not as bad as some compact wagons.

A great car at a great value!
By akke bengston on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've always wanted an 1800ES wagon and I was surprised to discover the stylish v40 among the usual Volvo boxes. We drove it, liked it and bought one. The incentives on this car make it very appealing, especially considering next year's replacement looks too much like another VW. The more we drive it, the more we like it.

Not Bad/Not Great
By Lincoln Steffens on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I wanted the Passat Wagon, my wife did not. We chose this primarily because of the Volvo name and safety features. The price as also competitive. We live in the city so we V70 would have been too big. This car is somewhat too small, particularly in cargo area and backseat when compared to its competitors. He drives and handles well and is pretty zippy on the freeway. Gas mileage for city driving is surprisingly poor for a 4 cyl. car (15 mpg). Requires premium gas too!

Love My Swedish Souvenir
By Reina on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My car has been great so far! It's a smooth, comfortable ride that's nicely equipped and offers good fuel economy-- especially highway. Cozy driver's seat too. And at $24K (including the Premium Package, Climate Package and a week-long trip to Sweden and London) the deal through the OVERSEAS DELIVERY program was beyond fair--and a fun experience!

Great Little Car
By DKRoss on 06/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Well built car, lots of standard equipment. At $29.5K, it's not the best deal on the planet....but after a $4500 incentive, and a $200 deal...the net was $22.5K....a GREAT deal...when used MY2000's sell for $17K. mine has the 15" wheels and tires, I think I would go for the 16" setup. I added the Volvo front strut bar, makes a great differance in handling.

Very Pleased
By tdtg72 on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car after VW had to buy back my lemon Jetta. I really enjoy the wagon with my large dog. It looks youthful and doesn't necessarily scream soccer mom like the larger wagons. My V40 is fully loaded and everyone always comments on the headlight wipers. I love it.