Used 2003 Volvo V40 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volvo V40 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volvo V40

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (21 reviews )

Fine used car
By gordon

2003 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased this in 2009 with 38,000 miles on it. Have put 2 2,000 mile trips on it and averaged 39 mpg. Around town it gets around 22 mpg. Car has plenty of zip and handles well. Both my wife and I find the seats comfortable. The lumbar support helps. A/C blows cold and have had no work other than regular maintenance done on it. Would recommend as used car.

Favorite Features

Great highway gas mileage. Car is nimble and seats are comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Gas gauge is not accurate. When it shows 1/4 you have at least 1/2 tank left, maybe more.

Why Europeans tend to get it right
By Adam Lausch

2003 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I must say that this is truly a unique car. I've rated it as unbiased as tough as I can. I simply love to drive it, and I've owned some pretty nice vehicles. I think one of its major downfalls is that Volvo didn't offer a manual transmission, that would be a blast. I love the V50s, but we were able to find a very nice V40 with low miles for $6K. I couldn't pass it up. So far I've have the check engine light come on once, and I think the ignition timing may have been off a bit. So I changed out a set of new high-performance plugs, and it's running superbly. Good performance, not great. It's so comfortable as well. Why buy a SUV for a small family when there are fun and economic wagons like this

Favorite Features

1.9 Turbo torque, very fun to drive because it weighs just under 3000 lbs.

Suggested Improvements

It's peppy but a bit more HP couldn't have hurt. Where's the manual trans?

From Volvo patriot to to Volvo hostage
By bigalexk

2003 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The car was a subject of three repairs by warranty including one when I stuck in the road and the car was towed to an auto repair shop. After the warranty the owning of the car has turned into financial disaster. The car is purposely design to exclude or hinder repair by the owner. Now my car is 6 years old having 73000 miles on odometer and it has serious transmission problem. The repair costs so much that I cannot afford it. The car is filled with manufacturing defects and bad design solutions. While it was in repairs and I had chance driving S40 and V50. I found them even worse. What a big mistake I made when I got into this Volvo bondage!

Favorite Features

Wagon with roof rack

Suggested Improvements

Shutting down manufacturing and sale

Great car. Would like more room.
By DBK

2003 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really love this car. It handles beautifully. The safety components (that are standard on all Volvos are very rare on other cars. Great heating/ac system and thermostat. Had some problems with the back latch. Other than that, the car has been reliable and very enjoyable to drive.

Favorite Features

Heating/AC/Thermostat Handling

Suggested Improvements

Larger (I wish I had the V50)

v-40
By Patwest

2003 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

It is almost as heavy as my old '95 850T (which had 210000 on it). Handles like a larger car. It has a lot of zip with the turbo engine. It U-turns in 3 lanes. Plenty of room for a bike, wheelchair, or lots of luggage. Middle seat is short, but not as bad as some compact wagons.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any, but wish I had a t ape payer wi th the Radio/CD.