Used 2003 Volvo V40 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volvo V40 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Volvo V40

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (21 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Why Europeans tend to get it right
By Adam Lausch

2003 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I must say that this is truly a unique car. I've rated it as unbiased as tough as I can. I simply love to drive it, and I've owned some pretty nice vehicles. I think one of its major downfalls is that Volvo didn't offer a manual transmission, that would be a blast. I love the V50s, but we were able to find a very nice V40 with low miles for $6K. I couldn't pass it up. So far I've have the check engine light come on once, and I think the ignition timing may have been off a bit. So I changed out a set of new high-performance plugs, and it's running superbly. Good performance, not great. It's so comfortable as well. Why buy a SUV for a small family when there are fun and economic wagons like this

Favorite Features

1.9 Turbo torque, very fun to drive because it weighs just under 3000 lbs.

Suggested Improvements

It's peppy but a bit more HP couldn't have hurt. Where's the manual trans?

Great car. Would like more room.
By DBK

2003 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I really love this car. It handles beautifully. The safety components (that are standard on all Volvos are very rare on other cars. Great heating/ac system and thermostat. Had some problems with the back latch. Other than that, the car has been reliable and very enjoyable to drive.

Favorite Features

Heating/AC/Thermostat Handling

Suggested Improvements

Larger (I wish I had the V50)

From Volvo patriot to to Volvo hostage
By bigalexk

2003 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The car was a subject of three repairs by warranty including one when I stuck in the road and the car was towed to an auto repair shop. After the warranty the owning of the car has turned into financial disaster. The car is purposely design to exclude or hinder repair by the owner. Now my car is 6 years old having 73000 miles on odometer and it has serious transmission problem. The repair costs so much that I cannot afford it. The car is filled with manufacturing defects and bad design solutions. While it was in repairs and I had chance driving S40 and V50. I found them even worse. What a big mistake I made when I got into this Volvo bondage!

Favorite Features

Wagon with roof rack

Suggested Improvements

Shutting down manufacturing and sale

Not Bad/Not Great
By Lincoln Steffens

2003 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I wanted the Passat Wagon, my wife did not. We chose this primarily because of the Volvo name and safety features. The price as also competitive. We live in the city so we V70 would have been too big. This car is somewhat too small, particularly in cargo area and backseat when compared to its competitors. He drives and handles well and is pretty zippy on the freeway. Gas mileage for city driving is surprisingly poor for a 4 cyl. car (15 mpg). Requires premium gas too!

Favorite Features

Superb stereo. Accelerates well.

Suggested Improvements

A little more room. Better gas mileage.

V40: What a nice surprise!!!
By Solo

2003 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I chose it over the VW Jetta and Passat wagons based on price and performance, V40's are absolutely a better value in Puerto Rico because VW's are overpriced. The exterior design is simple, but refined and tasteful. Interior design looks and feels expensive and well- finished. Excellent very supportive front seats. There is limited space on the rear seat, but it is roomy and comfortable enough for children and average adults. Acceleration and braking are more than adequate for daily commuting and will even allow some fun on twisty roads and long stretches. It cost only $26k, but every friends and aquaintances guess has been from $38k to $50k.

Favorite Features

Integrated child booster seats, cargo belt in the trunk, powerful engine, sweet sounding music system, and great looks.

Suggested Improvements

Unrefined turbo boost, limited rear legroom.