2002 Volvo V40 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )
great!
By mel_e on 02/01/11 19:13 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My car has 114K miles and still runs great. It definately burns through headlights as other reviewers have noted. I had some electrical? issues a short time ago, my mechanic thought there may have been a recall but the volvo mechanics said not. The dealership mechanics are the problem. apparently I needed new sparkplugs and the head gaskets cleaned. I think they just didn't want to reimburse me for the THREE sensors that needed to be replaced within one month of each other, if its an electrical issue they're supposed to refund your money. Regardless, I love my V40. Also, when i got it i got 32 mpg. after disconnecting the computer, it now gets 26+ but i drive more in town now so...

Very Good Car
By Jay Bee on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Had my V40 for 8 years, 120K miles. It is a great sport wagon. Excellent cargo room, comfortable for my family of 4. Handles well and was my 50 miles a day commuter averaging 26 mpg mixed driving. Expensive to service but there were no major problems in 8 years. Burns through headlights and bulbs. Don't know why. All over the internet but dealers claim ignorance. My 16 year old just inherited it. Safe, runs great, expect another few good years from it. Over all a good purchase new, and if taken care of, worth the blue book value used. Maybe even undervalued in blue book if clean and taken care of. Just keep after those damn bulb changes.

Goodbye Old Paint
By Victor the Volvo on 08/31/09 14:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I just traded in Old Vic aged 98,000 miles. I have read other reviews and found them unappreciative. First, you need never be ashamed to pull up in a Volvo, no matter where, no matter how small. Second, although maintenance wasn't cheap, it was great at my local Volvo Dealer - Coast of Sarasota - very professional and thorough. Third, this car was gas-efficient and capable of carrying a number of dogs, cargo, and other assorted living/inert objects with grace. Fourth, it was comfortable. You sank into the seats, not on top of them. A million organized cubbyholes for all your junk are provided. It's a nice, sane, well- planned ride. Great visibility. I hope you enjoy it.

Vord not what Expected from the Swedes
By arad on 11/29/08 13:36 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I loved this car when I bought it. I believed in the Volvo reputation of long-life and reliability. Honestly, I thought I'd found my match for life. It handled well and was very comfortable. Had this car for about a year before experiencing major problems with overheating. Dealership repair visits 4x over the next year until, at 112K mi, the vehicle overheated one last time, the head gasket blew out and the turbo charger wanked. $5000 in repairs! If you can find one of these cars still on the road, I'd be surprised. I haven't seen one in about 1 1/2 years. You might not see it in the dark though, because they burn through lamps like crazy. Also, expect to replace brakes frequently.

Very happy Volvo owner
By jk on 11/22/08 12:34 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first Volvo, and I bought it used two years ago. It replaced a Honda Civic. So that's the car to which I compare my V40. As noted, I bought the car two years ago. I haven't replaced a headlight yet. The windshield does need to be replaced, but living in Wyoming means high winds and sanded roads will affect a windshield negatively. I wish the fuel economy were better, but who doesn't? The cargo room is just about perfect. The seats are comfortable, and the ride is very quiet. (Perhaps it's my tires.) In fact, given the choice between taking our newer Subaru or the Volvo on a 2,000 mile round trip road trip, we decided on the Volvo. This won't be my last Volvo!

The Best!
By Anna on 04/08/08 12:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car overseas with American specs. I drove it three times round trip to Italy and back to Brussels, Belgium (over 20 hours drive) and never had a problem. It spacious, reliable and looks great. I do keep it up. I take it only to Volvo for any required check up or parts. The headlights I only had to change them twice but this is normal for any car. I had little problem with the check engine light but it got resolved. Great car and I would buy it again. Rule of thumb: Take it only to Volvo for any problems and you will never have to complain about it.

Saved my daughter's life
By meonly on 03/13/08 20:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My daughter totaled my first V40, hit on 3 sides, air bags inflated, went airborne across 4 lanes of traffic and hit by 3 cars. Not a scratch on her or her friend. I didn't think such a light weight car would have its occupants survive an accident like that, neither did the paramedics. Thank you for that. I am a volvo owner for life. Waiting for the xc60, that will be my fourth volvo.

Practical and Economical while still Fun
By thirtysomething on 01/30/07 14:34 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car because it was reasonably priced and the because of Volvo's reputation. It is a bit on the small side if you have more than one child or move lots of stuff, but it a very practical car that holds quite a bit with the rear seats completely flat. The acceleration is surprisingly quick for a 4 cyl. It is better than many V6 I have driven. The handling is tight enough for a sports wagon but I wouldn't go searching for curves. Fantastic mileage! This is what is keeping me from upgrading to a bigger or more powerful car or hybrid. 28 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the highway. I've had zero maintenance issues in 5 years. Change your oil!

End of Lease Review
By Graham on 03/21/05 14:07 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

There were 3 areas of disappointment I had with this vehicle: 1)excessive brake pad wear, 2)poor quality original tires, and 3)expensive maintenance costs. The interior quality was good, almost excellent. When the car was new, it felt like a struggle to get it up to 65-75 mph, but now that it has over 50k miles, it flies! So the power and acceleration improve with age! Too bad I am returning it.Volvo has got to do something to compensate owners for the poor brake pad wear, they won't admit that there is a problem.The OEM Continental tires would not stay inflated properly.Also had 2 flats.Upgrade to Michelins required tires rated to 150 mph! Expensive. Why Volvo?!

Disappointing
By arcin69 on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Car has been mechanically reliable but disapointing otherwise. Seatings and cabin are uncomfortable. Controls not ergonomically designed. Power seat controls replaced at 15,000 miles. Windshield cracked with the slightest touch of a speck. Found out later , Volvo has a reputation for windshields easily cracked but expensive to replace. Leather on seats permanently deformed from leaving a book on the seat. Wont' but it after lease turn in.