2001 Volvo V40 Wagon Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
A sexy highway cruiser
By Diren Yardimli

2001 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The V40 is not the station we have come to expect from Volvo. It's neither as masculin nor as bricky as a conventional Volvo (which made me think twice before buying it). Yet the design is slim, clean and as sexy as can be for a station wagon. Its seats embraces you, its steering is solid and secure, its engine sounds confident. Neither the sporthy whiiim, not the cheap sound of most commercial engines. On the road it easily glides through the traffic, easily reaches 200 km/h (even though the official max. speed is 195 for the 1.8).

Favorite Features

As with most Volvo's its the safety aspect. Airbags, air curtains, whisplash protection are some of the aspects, but more than that it's the way it makes you drive the car that is the true secret behinds its safety. This is a car in which it is very difficult to forget focusing on the road.

Suggested Improvements

CD player lacks shock resistance.

Great Long-Term Value
By Joey

2001 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Purchased used at a great value and haven't been disappointed, yet. Other than regular maintenance, the car has performed great. It's sporty, holds bikes and snowboards on top, enough room for moderate luggage load in the rear - if not a bit tight in the rear seats, though. Comfortable ride, but not the best on long trips. Austere interior is perfect - I prefer minimal and simple interior gadgets/knobs. Misses would include black bumper trim pieces fading and the replacement of the fascia cup holder which I completed myself. I've also replaced the front strut mounts 3 times due to potholes and rough roads. The turbo is quick and a great asset for both city and motorway take-overs.

Favorite Features

Great and quick handling response, moderately compact city size, simple and classic exterior and interior design, averaging 25mpg city and 31mpg motorway.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously the V40 has been replaced with the V50. The improvements I would suggest with the exterior mouldings and cup holder issues were subsequently taken care of in 2002+ models of the V40.

Nice lil wagon
By drivetotheend

2001 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought with 58,000, now at 74,000. Nothing beyond the 60K service and oil changes. Paint is worst feature. Added mud flaps and euro-rails for a little character and sport exhaust, K&N filter, Bilstein gas shocks and a heavier sway bar for fun. Very responsive, very quick, very nice. As noted on these, the brakes will need replacing after about 20K, but it still stops well (they were new at purchase). Overall, this is a great vehicle. Yakima box onto the rails and I can fit all I need to camp with my wife and two small children. Once they get a little older, the back seat will be too small; it's tight back there!

Favorite Features

Good handling, quick response; add the K&N filter if that's all you do. Oh, forgot the safety; all that good Volvo stuff is in there. Nice tunes too.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint!!

2001 Volvo V40
By Volvo convert

2001 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My Corolla was totaled while parked on the street (who could have foreseen that?!), so in replacing it I was thinking safety, which the V40 has in droves (save for stability control, which was reserved for $40K cars in 2001). The V40 has turned out to be an ideal compromise between all the things I want in a car. While it doesn't excel in any one category (except for safety and comfort, Volvo's trademarks), the V40 does everything pretty darn well! You don't have to trade efficiency for performance, you get both at above average levels. Same for size vs. cargo space, handling vs. ride; all the places where you expect to give up one thing to get another. Handles everything you throw at it.

Favorite Features

Essential Volvo-ness in a smaller, less expensive package. Love: class-leading (at the time) 5-speed automatic, tight turning circle, great stereo, flat cargo floor (with back seat folded down), strong acceleration at any speed and with minimal turbo lag, comfy seats, automatic climate control.

Suggested Improvements

The usuals: lame cup holder, paint degraded by bird poop, etc. While highway mileage is stellar, around town could be better, considering this is only a 1.9L car. Expensive to maintain, but you get what you pay for. If you want a cheap car, that's what you'll get. A used V40 would make a great buy.

Still Kicking
By Brian

2001 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I just turned over 200,000 km's and the V40 is still performing deciently. Noticeable interior creaks and squeaks recently but nothing the stock sound system can handle. My V40 is my office and it still handles great. My only complaint is the cost of servicing this vehicle. Without doubt the most expensive car I have ever owned for regular maintenance. Beware.

Favorite Features

Head lamp wiper blades are my favourite feature for our miserable Canadian winters.

Suggested Improvements

Worst place ever for the in dash cup holder. I guess the Swede's must just hold on to their coffee cups.

Very happy
By Claude

2001 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

When the price of gas when up crazy, I decided to trade my Nissan pathfinder. With two young kids 2 and 4 i needed some space! For the price of my Pathfnider LE 2000 I found this Volvo V40 2001... I just love it, With full leather interior, good space, great performance, I really don't miss my pathfinder. I just fell in love with Volvo. I would recommand this car to anyone. Reliability... only have the car for 4 months... So far So good

Favorite Features

Great look for a wagon Nice interior Good performance

V40_summary2004
By tsana

2001 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Responsive and full of power (AC reduces this substantially though). Comfortable bucket seats, great sounding manufacturer's audio/CD. Truly have enjoyed this car. Faults: environmentally friendly brake pads need replacing annually!! Also had chronic defects in electronic driver seat adjuster. No problems with engine in 4 years. I highly recommend it. New V50 replaces it in 2004.

Favorite Features

driveeability, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Longer lasting break pads!! More torque with AC running

happy with my v40
By budsun

2001 Volvo V40 Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the v40 w/30K last year and I have been happy w/it since. I've had only 1 major problem since I owned it but it was covered by the warrenty (steering). The prev. owner had replaced the rear rotors (again..warrenty item)IMO, The v40 has good initial acceleration due the minimal turbo lag and the ride quality is great. I wish the car came w/a strut tower and 15/16in rims because taking on windy roads can get a bit scary. Rear seat room is tight(made for kids), internal components break easily(cup holder, etc), and styling is a bit plain(I added roof rails, rear spoiler,& mud flaps). overall, I love the car

Favorite Features

good acceleration, safety, gas milage

Suggested Improvements

improve internal components..esp the cur holder, better handeling, and more horsepower.

not enough room for kids
By red1

2001 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this auto used. I thought it would be great to have with my 2 kids, but it is way too small. My husband and I are tall 5'8" and 6'4" and when all 4 of us are in the car it is very uncomfortable. The back doesnt hold near enough. If you have a baby get the larger wagon (or an SUV) - wish I had. We couldnt even get to the airport for a trip because our (4) suitcases couldnt fit in it.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the gas mileage - I get around 30 mpg. I also like the info centre that displays outside temp and MPG.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder is awful - why is it in front of the CD player - what a pain. The ride is too hard.

From Texas
By used v40

2001 Volvo V40 Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

USED 2001 V40 with 41580 miles to start. The looks are showroom quality. It has a loud deep bass hum the VOLVO tech said "that's how it sounds." I drove from TEXAS to NYC. 1800 miles in 2 days that's 30 hours not incld stops for food, the toilet and gas. No problem for me, but the car? The V40 great. Smooth ride on the freeway, sport like on the city interchanges and streets. Stopped 7 times, 55 gallons of gas and actually drove 1900.2 miles. I avg 70 mph and 34.6 mpg, not bad for any car. I am not the "a button for eveything" type. The interior is plain, many of the "buttons" are muti-functional. The trunk is spacious for a compact wagon.

Favorite Features

Turbocharged engine, makes passing an 18 wheeler a breeze. Nice wide grip steering wheel helps with the sport steering.

Suggested Improvements

What's with the cupholder in front of the CD player? I believe they fixed this problem in the later models.