2000 Volvo V40 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - NO trade-in value!

2000 Volvo V40 - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic)

NO trade-in value!
By Scott944 on

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

The $15k I've spent on my 2000 V40 (purchase price plus repairs) means nothing at trade-in time, apparently because there is no demand for this model at the auctions where dealers wholesale cars. At best, I'm being offered one-quarter of my cash outlay. Also, buyers should be prepared to have a lot of expensive things break by 100k miles. My dealer told me today that he was recently driving through a scary part of Washington, DC in a similar S40 sedan when the Mitsubishi-built transmission simply failed completely at a stoplight, something he had never experienced with even the oldest Volvos. I'm going back to a 1996 Volvo 850 GLT--if I can get enought trade from my V40 to cover some of it!

Favorite Features

Comfort, styling, quality leather seats, good factory sound system, strong acceleration and braking, adequate handling for a front-wheel-drive car, smooth transmission (but see above).

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are a joke (corrected in later years). Manual front seat height is hard to adjust unless you get out of the car. Mechanisms to fold down rear seat cushions and seatbacks are flimsy. Lots of road/tire noise. Can't hold a wheel alignment. Plan on having a lot of things break at 100k miles.