2000 Volvo V40 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - A great car, when it

2000 Volvo V40 - Consumer Review

A great car, when it works.
By Isaac on

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

Drives well, handles confidently and is exceptionally safe. Heated seats and leather interior are nice too. Gas mileage is generally good, and it's an attractive looking car. I've always liked my Volvo 240s so I thought this was a good bet. So what's not to like? over four years, a $700+ CV joint, $2400 top end, $500 radiator, $300 bearings, more burnt out electrical gadgets than a cheap chritmas tree (hope you like staring at the check engine light) and the price of 93 octane only gas. That is, of course excluding the performance tires and brake wear. Oh, and as previously mentioned, the cup holders and armrest for the driver on this model are less than helpful.

Favorite Features

It really is fun to drive when it feels like cooperating. Good gas mileage as well. Nice looking and very roomy for its size.

Suggested Improvements

Well, yes, this is a Mitsubishi in Swedish sheepskin. If it just worked more often, this would be a great car. Or failing that, a personal concierge to calm my wife when she's stranded on the expressway.