2000 Volvo V40 - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.9L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic - (27 reviews )
Best car I have ever owned
By ishq on 04/05/12 20:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

Solid, reliable, sporty and can fit everything either in it or on it. I purchased this car after a friend wrapped his Volvo around a telephone pole and walked away w/only a scratch or two. I was surprised to find out how nimble this little wagon is. Must get V rated tires, but it is worth it. Kept up w/maintenance schedule, and has run like a charm for 195,000 miles. Showing no signs of quitting soon. Highly recommend this car.

Love my Volvo Wagon
By Leah M on 05/22/10 08:08 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

I love this wagon and sadly now looking at having to replace it soon. I drive a lot, have over 208,000 miles, and have had three to four minor crashes in this car. However, I have never been injured and walked away fine. Three times I have been rear ended and the next day, no neck pain or injury, I felt nothing. The first time I found out the frame was bent from the impact! This has been a great car for driving and on gas mileage, with a few issues, but overall I love it and it has served me well.

Sweet Ride
By Sunny on 02/02/10 23:03 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

In school I used to work part-time in a Volvo dealership and saw so many cars come in for scheduled maintenance still going strong with 200,000+ miles, so I decided to buy one myself. The V40 I bought was an excellent choice. It looks sharp and is a joy to drive. It's much faster than most would imagine with the DOHC and is very responsive. It's refined looking but has enough space in the back for most errands. I moved to CA from the East Coast with everything I owned piled high in the back after folding down the seats. No problems at all. As with all Volvos, it's better to get the V40 serviced at a dealership. Do this and you're sure to have a reliable, handsome car for years.

DO NOT buy this model... EVER
By Cynthia on 09/19/09 16:01 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

I have had nothing but major headaches with this vehicle ever since the 5 yr/50,000 mi. warranty expired. From O2 sensor problems, faulty engine mounts,transmission replacement at 80,000 mi., several brake pad kits, fuel regulator, battery, constant alignments, gaskets/seals,timing belt. The cupholder broke in first 3 months,as did armrest, front wipers, moonroof and passenger side mirror- I have had to spend more money on this car than I ever did on my Toyota Camry in 15 years of life. Either I got a lemon, or this is the worst car ever designed. Just skip Volvo altogether- It's expensive and not what it used to be

V40 is a disappointment
By NHDriver on 06/27/09 10:32 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

Used for highway driving primarily, this vehicle has not performed well, interior is not forgiving, & bulbs go out frequently. VERY expensive to maintain - and other owners of this model seem to agree.

A great car, when it works.
By Isaac on 12/19/08 09:44 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

Drives well, handles confidently and is exceptionally safe. Heated seats and leather interior are nice too. Gas mileage is generally good, and it's an attractive looking car. I've always liked my Volvo 240s so I thought this was a good bet. So what's not to like? over four years, a $700+ CV joint, $2400 top end, $500 radiator, $300 bearings, more burnt out electrical gadgets than a cheap chritmas tree (hope you like staring at the check engine light) and the price of 93 octane only gas. That is, of course excluding the performance tires and brake wear. Oh, and as previously mentioned, the cup holders and armrest for the driver on this model are less than helpful.

Good sound vehicle
By Dan on 07/09/07 18:27 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

Original owner - I have enjoyed this Volvo V40 more then any other auto I have owned. It has a few more problems then I expected for a compact wagon in this price range, but none have been serious and performance is excellent. Fast when you want it but economical - 24 mpg city/highway. I put on a hitch and haul my small boat with no problem. I've loaded it heavy with bricks, mulch, bags of rock, you name it, no problem. It has great personality and has done everything I have asked with no major breakdowns - what more can you ask. 82,000 miles and going strong. Uses no oil, spark plugs clean, no leaks, no sign of any major issue.

Love my wagon
By carrie on 05/03/07 20:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

I hit a soft shoulder in this wagon going 70 mph and it stuck to the ground like rock. I feel very safe in this car and it is extremely comfortable for the driver and front passenger. Three kids in the back complain!! The driver cup holder is awkwardly above the CD player or below the middle arm rest. The booster seats are nice, but when kids fall asleep there is no support for their heads. I had to replace the rear wiper multiple times (6-7), but I will be sad to part with this car. The leather held up nicely, but I did also have a problem with the lights on the control panel which was >$650 to fix when I thought a fuse change would do it.

V40 No more Volvos for me
By V40 Owner on 03/03/07 15:07 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

This vehicle has given me fits pretty soon after I bought it used. First malfunction was a front left coil spring broke and ruined a brand new snow tire. A year and a half later left rear coil spring broke. Just replaced my second ignition coil last week after engine ran very rough and check engine light came on. Also had to replace an acceleration sensor (can't remember the technical name for it) that was a $200.00 sensor. Pwr window buttons on the doors are all broken too. I expected better quality from a Volvo.

Great
By Brendan on 08/14/06 09:08 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo V40 4dr Wagon

Great! wonderful. A great car to drive very reliable just all around fun car!