1998 Volvo S90 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
Why it's Good
By Hector on 10/13/07 13:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

Great car, no doubt. Sturdy, strong, and surprisingly fast. All things aside, a smooth ride.

Volvo's Timeless Flagship
By papawilli on 08/14/07 07:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I found this one owner Volvo with only 72K on it, absolutely flawless. As expected, the price was a bit high, however it is worth every dime! Having had two prior Volvos, we had certain expectations with this one, and it has surpassed them all. Classic styling, old-world craftsmanship in its attention to detail assembly, excellent performance and handling, easily the nicest, most driveable vehicle we've had in over 30 years, including a Cadillac. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a solid, reliable car that can be driven for many years. The newer Ford / Volvos have nothing over this "last of the big rear wheel drive" true Swedish pieces of art. A real pleasure.

Volvo Drivers Wanted
By VolvoChick on 07/25/06 14:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

Awesome car, handles great. Easy to operate and maintain. Good mpg getting about 22 in city. Loving the heated seats and moonroof is great as well. Would recommend this car to anyone, great for student or parents, even grandparents. Fun to drive and has the get up and go that the 740's did not. This is my 5th Volvo throughout my life. I have owned the 740GL and 740GLE , 940, 850, S90. Most of which had well over 200K miles on them. I drive them until the wheels fall off. (it's a figure of speech) Would recommend , actually suggest Preventative Maintenance on these cars, if something does go out it can and will be expensive. Great cars easy to maintain and enjoy them - they will save your life!

Satisfaction
By Lee on 06/22/06 21:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I love my S90. After owning 2 240DL's, I wanted a step up in the Volvo family and I got it! I have driven this car for 4 years and I still enjoy cruising with it. The only complaint I have is the so-so gas mileage.

Exceptional ride but expensive to maintain
By Houston, Tx on 12/18/05 13:33 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

Pluses - Extremely smooth, quiet and comfortable ride; small turning radius; very strong, quick to accelerate and reliable engine. Negatives - Electronics unreliable on various features (seat, antenna, fuel oxygen, some engine component and sensor wiring; air conditioning develops problems on regular basis and needs frequent expensive repair. brake pads and components wear out frequently. Bad front seat drink console. Car needs very regular TLC/service maintenance to maintain the quality ride experienced. Parts and service can be expensive. Very much liked the car and features just not the expenses required to maintain the frequent services and expensive air conditioner service.

Very nice car >> so far:)
By ANTMAN on 05/12/05 20:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I bought this a few weeks ago when my Honda died at 183K. I HAVE PUT OVER 1000 MILES ON IT, HOWEVER This My 4th Volvo (244, 740 x 2) and this one has 140K on it. I had a pre inspection, and will change the lower bushings and timing belt, plus tune and etc. for under $1000.00. Since I paid $4500.00 with a trade, I found tremendous value here. True quality and solid as they come.

Good car ... too bad the value drops
By boston0259 on 01/23/05 17:31 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

Good solid car. Have had very few problems, overall, however, the most annoying is the "Check engine" light. Usually that means that there is a small problem in the fuel system. Watch this carefully. I have had Volvo dealers charge me many times over for useless repairs only to find out that it was a small sensor that had to be replaced. Can you believe that the dealer convinced me that they needed to drop the fuel tank, and re-weld the seams !! What a rip-off they were. Other than that, this is a good, solid car. Even now at nearly 7 years old, the doors close firmly, the car starts and rolls smoothly down the street.

Pleasantly Surprises
By Handbag Diva on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

We had gone to the dealership to buy an SUV and found the S90 Sedan. What a blessing. We are so pleased with our purchase. It is used so it has a few minor paint scrapes, but we had it checked out with a mechanic and he said it is in great condition. The car feels solid and sturdy, the inside is pleasant and soft and the ride is smooth. I'm glad Volvo didn't make more because we have one of the few diamonds. We hope to trade in our other car if a few years and buy a used Volvo SUV. That way we can get our SUV and still get a great car.

isn't she lovely?
By Luke skywalker on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used at 29000km in 2001, in 2004 i changed suspensions, transmission sensor, core heater( what a job 7 hrs). I strongly believe it's the safest car and the most confortable car for long 6hrs ride. Apart from having trouble finding parts for the car light wipers everything is lovely, the one I love the most drive this car. The suspension is not like a boat a bit rough but now you know if your city is taking care of your streets, i changed stab links at leats 3 times at the front ( it's a heavy car.

Reliable except for A/C
By Trock on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

Best cornering of any car I've ever had; it can turn on a dime. Low maintenance in general except for A/C problems. At 110,000 I had 2 A/C repairs = $1600 total- this is a frequent problem w/ Volvos. Seat style took some getting used to; it may be safe, but is uncomfortable at first. Mine currently has 125k miles.