1998 Volvo S90 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (28 reviews )
The Ultimate RWD Volvo
By kblupino on 09/17/13 09:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Although the Scandanavian cubist design was starting to get a bit old by 1998, one thing that they got spot on was the interior--it is absolutely fantastic. The leather seats with suede inserts completely coddle their occupants. And the tasteful, real(?) wood accents would not look out of place in a car costing much, much more. And while I was a bit uncertain about the Volvo 24-valve V-6 engine, they had gotten all the kinks worked out by the '98 model year, and it's nice having some power in a Volvo. The car is barely middle-aged in terms of mileage, and I'm sure I'll tire of it long before it's in need of retirement. The S90 is the ultimate old-school, rear-wheel-drive Volvo.

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!
By Denver-Style on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My Volvo S90 does AWESOME in the snow!!! It has the WINTER BUTTON for the torque converter(transmission) and does just fine. I am from Denver and drive the mountain roads daily and this S90 is as safe as it gets! I get about 25mpg's and haven't had any problems out of this car what so ever (given a Highly reputable dealership). The Leather has held up extremely well. With proper maintenance you can have a vehicle that will last and last a long time. They will go. I have 256k miles on my S90 and plan on keeping it forever! When I bought the Volvo I paid $7995.

Much has gone wrong
By Thomas on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new and serviced perfectly. After replacing timing belt the tension unit broke destroying the new timing belt that required engine re-build... other items include.....new a.c unit and computer box...new transmission and two computer shift modules.....two radiators. So much money invested into car I cannot afford to sell or trade in.The car only has 136,000 miles on it.I have spent close to $9,000.00 on these items. Obviously not very impressed with quality.

Amazing vehicle will last
By darkmatter on 01/12/10 10:58 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have been rather amazed after purchasing my 98 Volvo S90 with its quality and fun! This is the last flagship of the swedish brick design by volvo before it was purchased by ford in 1999. By the way, if you are up in the air between this car and a 99- 2003 S80 go with this car much less issues. The S90 is RWD and has an amazing turn radius and cornering ability. If you like to do your own work on your car this is a blast! Easy to work on and junkyard 9 series parts (940,960,S90) parts are all for the most part interchangeable! Great first car, great car period, volvo went out with a bang, not a flashy one but one that will hold your interest and your family safe for years!

what to like about hte s90
By kevin on 09/29/09 11:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The vehicle has been reliable.It starts up 100% of the time. The heating and air conditioning unit is above average. I live in Massachusetts, it gets cold up here and the heated seats are just great for the weather. The car gets warm faster than most cars. This is my first volvo and i have no noteable complaints. Little things on my volvo have gone, like the horn, sunroof, emergency brake, and the doorhandle. It recently overheated but i fixed it the hose bursted behind the engine. Other then those issues the car has been great, its reliable its kind of speedy, and its very comfortable.

Good Car
By Fonda Blackburn on 08/11/09 06:21 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 11 years, bought new.The car is still in excellent condition inside. A few dings on the outside. Keep thinking its time to trade in but since its paid for and very reliable, its hard. The only thing I wish for is that it would get better gas mileage. I plan on keeping it another 2 or 3 years.

Still Love my Volvo S90 After 8 Years
By Sharon on 03/10/09 21:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after a friend of mine had an accident and almost died in a compact car. I traded my one year old Buick Century for my first non-American car. It was the best decision I ever made. I bought it at 25,000 when it came off lease at 2 years old. I have had the maintenance done on the car that the book suggests and have had very little problem with it. At 130,000 miles, I will still take it anywhere. The 6 cyl engine is still as smooth as it was. Still handles great. She still looks new. Every once in a while I will go and look at a new S80 and will get all excited about it but after I get back in my car I think, why? I would buy it all over again!!

Not a bad car
By K.A on 01/29/09 21:51 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I highly recommend this car for a first time buyer. The only problem with this car is it does horrible in the snow which is bad for me because i live in the Boston, Massachusetts area. Small problems can occur in this car but its like that with any car. I have owned this car for almost a year now and its been a great car. If you don't get at least 170,000 miles out of this car then there is a problem, it's built to last just like all Volvos. My only standing complaint is the cost to repair this vehicle it is not cheap.

Disappointed
By betybeam on 12/28/08 15:00 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned the S90 for 9 years now and enjoyed driving the car but there are too many repairs to mention. The body of the car has quickly been deteriorating since I bought it. I also expected better fuel econmy. After reading the reviews for this car I think i got the lemon. Glad to hear so many people are pleased with the car. Sadly because of this car I will not be buying another Volvo.

Finally Got One! Worth The Wait!
By Mike Robinson on 10/18/08 12:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this car a little over a month now. I've wanted a Volvo for some time. The new ones are nice, but I wanted the "Flagship" design. No, it's not new & needs some minor things done. Even though it needs tires, it really rides great at highway speed! I'm pleased that it was taken really good care of! It really "hugs" the road--even in turns! As stout & tough as any tank on any battlefield! I feel really safe in it! I paid $3638 for it. Quite an accomplishment for me. Bought a Volvo & paid cash for it!