Used 1998 Volvo S90 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volvo S90 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (28 reviews )

The Ultimate RWD Volvo
By kblupino

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Although the Scandanavian cubist design was starting to get a bit old by 1998, one thing that they got spot on was the interior--it is absolutely fantastic. The leather seats with suede inserts completely coddle their occupants. And the tasteful, real(?) wood accents would not look out of place in a car costing much, much more. And while I was a bit uncertain about the Volvo 24-valve V-6 engine, they had gotten all the kinks worked out by the '98 model year, and it's nice having some power in a Volvo. The car is barely middle-aged in terms of mileage, and I'm sure I'll tire of it long before it's in need of retirement. The S90 is the ultimate old-school, rear-wheel-drive Volvo.

Favorite Features

Definitely the interior. Build quality is amazingly solid. Side-impact airbags in a 1998 sedan! Great value for the money. I paid the original owner $4k for a 142k mile example back in 2010, and spent $1k on a new timing belt, water pump, and tune-up. If you're looking for a vehicle that represents the pinnacle of Volvo's rear-wheel drive era, the S90 is the car for you.

Suggested Improvements

Repairs can be expensive. Headlamp wipers are useless. You better like sharp angles.

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!
By Denver-Style

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My Volvo S90 does AWESOME in the snow!!! It has the WINTER BUTTON for the torque converter(transmission) and does just fine. I am from Denver and drive the mountain roads daily and this S90 is as safe as it gets! I get about 25mpg's and haven't had any problems out of this car what so ever (given a Highly reputable dealership). The Leather has held up extremely well. With proper maintenance you can have a vehicle that will last and last a long time. They will go. I have 256k miles on my S90 and plan on keeping it forever! When I bought the Volvo I paid $7995.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable for long rides! Fantastic Radio. Plenty of head room, leg space. High end vehicle with luxury that wont break. Sexy Car!!!

Much has gone wrong
By Thomas

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new and serviced perfectly. After replacing timing belt the tension unit broke destroying the new timing belt that required engine re-build... other items include.....new a.c unit and computer box...new transmission and two computer shift modules.....two radiators. So much money invested into car I cannot afford to sell or trade in.The car only has 136,000 miles on it.I have spent close to $9,000.00 on these items. Obviously not very impressed with quality.

Favorite Features

interior room

Suggested Improvements

over all quality

Amazing vehicle will last
By darkmatter

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have been rather amazed after purchasing my 98 Volvo S90 with its quality and fun! This is the last flagship of the swedish brick design by volvo before it was purchased by ford in 1999. By the way, if you are up in the air between this car and a 99- 2003 S80 go with this car much less issues. The S90 is RWD and has an amazing turn radius and cornering ability. If you like to do your own work on your car this is a blast! Easy to work on and junkyard 9 series parts (940,960,S90) parts are all for the most part interchangeable! Great first car, great car period, volvo went out with a bang, not a flashy one but one that will hold your interest and your family safe for years!

Favorite Features

Turning radius, ease of repair, paint quality, engine is problem free, back seat comfort, size, roll cage, and unique styling

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder often places your beverage in the way of your arm while you are turning or trying to shift, a true annoyance but workable if you get used to it.

what to like about hte s90
By kevin

1998 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The vehicle has been reliable.It starts up 100% of the time. The heating and air conditioning unit is above average. I live in Massachusetts, it gets cold up here and the heated seats are just great for the weather. The car gets warm faster than most cars. This is my first volvo and i have no noteable complaints. Little things on my volvo have gone, like the horn, sunroof, emergency brake, and the doorhandle. It recently overheated but i fixed it the hose bursted behind the engine. Other then those issues the car has been great, its reliable its kind of speedy, and its very comfortable.

Favorite Features

I like the "premium sound system." To my knowledge, it is absolutly the best stock sound system made for that year by any company. I also like where the clock is located, on the dash next to the speedometer. It is conveniently located and pretty unique. Not many cars have an actual clock on them.

Suggested Improvements

The button placement is unique. I feel like the lock and unlock buttons are in a weird place. The rear defrost option should be where the regular defrost option is as well. Otherwise i have no complaints about the car.