Used 1997 Volvo S90 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volvo S90 - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volvo S90 Sedan

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (18 reviews )

The Last of the Swedish-Made
By David B.

1997 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my car with 91K miles on it from a Volvo-certified master mechanic. It literally had the one driver with saltless winters. I spend maybe $1K/ year on maintenance because I am fastidious. This car rocks. It has the Politburo- chic look about it. The V-6 is really responsive and I love rear-wheel drive in winter. I haven't any complaints save that I will not be able to get another as they are Ford-made or this narcissist in the White House won't let me drive it soon. I am fortunate that I have a well- qualified but also honest mechanic. I intend to drive this until I can't. I have put 20K miles on it thus far.

Favorite Features

Stereo, seat comfort, smoothness of drive.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders.

Volvo for DIVA
By Miss SunShine

1997 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Tires replacements about average as in any car. Car is used on hwy about 70%, but my tires do last longer than parts. Knowing someone who works on volvo's helps on the cost, and if you a regular shop you "faithfully" have oil changes at, they do help out on claims and assist you with repair cost to regular customers. Claim folks do not want to approve under coverage due to my ded' is only $50.00!!! YEAH.. $50 bucks! Get a good insurance/coverage, and read all fine print and ask questions before signing a contract!!! You can come out winning, if you do your homework and research!!

Favorite Features

Color

Suggested Improvements

Maybe just have top layer of front window tinted.

Favorite Car Ever!
By amygin23

1997 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love this car. We had an accident recently and unfortunately my great car was totaled. We were rear-ended with my 9 year old in the backseat and while the other car looked bashed in, our car held up extremely well and no one was hurt. Very safe and fun car to own. I wanted to make it to 200,000 miles. Very disappointed that I never had the opportunity...

Favorite Features

I loved the stereo and how smoothly the car drove. It was soo fun to drive. It fit me like a glove. Very impressed. No issues for an older vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders are pathetic and there aren't any in the backseat for the kids. That would be about it.

Excellent Buy
By kc

1997 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this '97 Volvo S90 with 115K miles on it (now over 153K). I have driven for 19 months now, and it has proven to be a wonderfully reliable and comfortable car to drive. I drive approximately 100 miles a day to and from work and I have spent less than $1,000 in repairs and maintenance. This car averages about 24 mi/gal (highway). I only really drive it on the highway so I do not know the city gas mileage. I test drove a brand new Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla the other day (I was considering a vehicle with even better gas mileage), but they could not compare to the luxury, safety, and comfort of this ride. I will drive this vehicle as long as I can.

Favorite Features

Comfort. Safety. Vehicle. Sound. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Style

Great looking car, too much maintenance
By John W

1997 Volvo S90 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Although the S-90 looks great, it is rather expensive to maintain. Several electrical issues, it is hard on tires, motor mounts had to be replaced and the power seats controls both sides needed fixing.

Favorite Features

Style, looks, turning radius and the inline 6.

Suggested Improvements

No the S-80. Please bring back a rear wheel drive Volvo.