1997 Volvo S90 - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (18 reviews )
The Last of the Swedish-Made
By David B. on 06/25/10 09:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I bought my car with 91K miles on it from a Volvo-certified master mechanic. It literally had the one driver with saltless winters. I spend maybe $1K/ year on maintenance because I am fastidious. This car rocks. It has the Politburo- chic look about it. The V-6 is really responsive and I love rear-wheel drive in winter. I haven't any complaints save that I will not be able to get another as they are Ford-made or this narcissist in the White House won't let me drive it soon. I am fortunate that I have a well- qualified but also honest mechanic. I intend to drive this until I can't. I have put 20K miles on it thus far.

Volvo for DIVA
By Miss SunShine on 04/02/10 08:40 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

Tires replacements about average as in any car. Car is used on hwy about 70%, but my tires do last longer than parts. Knowing someone who works on volvo's helps on the cost, and if you a regular shop you "faithfully" have oil changes at, they do help out on claims and assist you with repair cost to regular customers. Claim folks do not want to approve under coverage due to my ded' is only $50.00!!! YEAH.. $50 bucks! Get a good insurance/coverage, and read all fine print and ask questions before signing a contract!!! You can come out winning, if you do your homework and research!!

Favorite Car Ever!
By amygin23 on 05/22/09 23:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I love this car. We had an accident recently and unfortunately my great car was totaled. We were rear-ended with my 9 year old in the backseat and while the other car looked bashed in, our car held up extremely well and no one was hurt. Very safe and fun car to own. I wanted to make it to 200,000 miles. Very disappointed that I never had the opportunity...

Excellent Buy
By kc on 01/06/09 09:56 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I bought this '97 Volvo S90 with 115K miles on it (now over 153K). I have driven for 19 months now, and it has proven to be a wonderfully reliable and comfortable car to drive. I drive approximately 100 miles a day to and from work and I have spent less than $1,000 in repairs and maintenance. This car averages about 24 mi/gal (highway). I only really drive it on the highway so I do not know the city gas mileage. I test drove a brand new Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla the other day (I was considering a vehicle with even better gas mileage), but they could not compare to the luxury, safety, and comfort of this ride. I will drive this vehicle as long as I can.

Great looking car, too much maintenance
By John W on 11/24/08 11:01 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

Although the S-90 looks great, it is rather expensive to maintain. Several electrical issues, it is hard on tires, motor mounts had to be replaced and the power seats controls both sides needed fixing.

Thor II
By Dan on 05/28/08 12:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this car for me down south and drove it home to surprise me. It seemed to hate her but Thor II and I grew close very quickly. I had a few problems left over from the previous owner but quickly fixed all except the power seat cable. Parts are available on line at a fair price but the dealer is another story. Purchased with just over 100K and I am approching 140k already.

My "Old Faithful" S90
By VolvoMan89 on 01/23/08 20:08 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

My S90 has been wonderful since the day I got it. A lot of people complain about the little things like sunroof or power window issues, which can often be fixed at home, but they are missing the point. The point of this car is to get you from "A" to "B" in style, comfort and safety. I have only had regular maintenance performed on the car and it runs like a champ every day. I love the smooth power of the I-6 engine. Comfort is amazing even with my 2+ hours of daily driving I have no back pain when I get out of the car. The stock speakers are mind blowing. The drive train is rock solid. It's now at 165,000 and I expect it to double that. This is my 3rd car and I plan to keep it forever!

Great, predictable car
By John on 03/27/07 10:13 AM (PDT)

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

Bought this as a basic run around business luxury car. My wife wants me to pass it on my almost 16 yr old son but I find myself not wanting to give it up even though it is 10 yrs old and has over 100k on it--can't think of what I'd prefer. It does eat tires for some reason, it seems like I'm replacing the Michelins about every 30k miles, buy the tire warranties. This is the last of the pre-Ford rear wheel drive Volvo's. Maintain it and it will treat you right.

S90's Rule
By Herb on 11/28/05 19:02 PM (PST)

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

My 2nd Volvo,,,great handling and riding vehicle...very reliable, although parts replacements are pricey...will probably get 250,000 out of it!

Volvo luxury
By cdguy on 01/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volvo S90 4dr Sedan

I almost passed up on the opportunity to own this beauty after reading the other reviews but my dedication to Volvo and a thorough test drive caused me to buy it. Wow, what a car! I've owned it for only a couple weeks but it's been the best used-car experience I've ever had. Very little wind noise and even less road noise makes the incredible sound system that much more enjoyable. I get about the same gas mileage as my '89 740 with the added boost of 2 more cylinders. The transmission is silky smooth and the engine has passing power to spare. As soon as it was mine I started planning a trip out to BC just for the drive!