Used 2009 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Pleased
By szmagsr

2009 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan AWD (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Own a 2003 BMW 5 and although I loved the look and price of the S80 I was concerned with how I would enjoy the drive. I've only had it for two weeks, but we're getting to know each other and I like it better every day.

Great interior--Simple elegance. Easy to understand and function.

Gas mileage

Great value
By Dan_J

2009 Volvo S80 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was in the market for a new comfortable luxury sedan. I saw all the rebates Volvo had on this car and was able to knock $10k total off MSRP through negotiating with the dealership. So my $42k was purchased for $32k, which is an incredible value. The car drives very well, seats are very supportive and comfortable. All of the materials in the car are high quality. In addition, the 5 yr 60k warranty, which includes maintenance and wear/tear items made this decision very easy for me. If you're considering purchasing a luxury car, I highly encourage you to consider the S80, you will be thoroughly impressed.

Great seats, heaters work well, excellent quality, great price.

Make xenon lights standard on all S80s.

Totally Satisfied
By MAD

2009 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan AWD (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I test drove cars from Audi, BMW, MB, Acura, Infiniti and Lexus -- Leased a Volvo S80 T6 AWD. It offers a more comfortable and quite ride than its competitors and priced closer to smaller models (A4, 3 series, c300) than the larger models (A6, 5 Series, RL), which it more closely competes. I think the upgrades with the executive package are well worth it. Gas mileage is average, but able to use regular grade gasoline and still in "break-in" period. Scheduled maintenance is included. Great value and safety. Very underrated car. Recommend without reservation.

Comfortable seats, vented and heated with massage AWD works well Bluetooth works seamlessly Quite ride

Steering can be a bit stiffer at times Transmission should upshift quicker uphill Average fuel economy Radio upgrade should be available without buying a whole package

Elegant Ride
By Dasa

2009 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan AWD (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I explained to the surprised BMW salesman when I said no to the new 5 series sedan that I preferred the 09 Volvo S80: more powerful, more comfortable, softer ride, $15K less,and an exterior whose subtle beauty has grown on me. I love this car and plan to keep it forever.

Smooth power of the T6 280 hp, understated elegance of the interior. It handles better than the reviews say, fun to drive on country roads, great cruiser on the highway. Roomy and quiet inside, the AWD has solid traction and handling in frozen upstate NY winter. Great heated seats.

Better gas mileage

Fun to drive and affordable
By Mike M

2009 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan AWD (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I have convenience and comfort packages with bixenon swivel headlights. The car drives much better than I thought over windy roads, especially using the flawless Geartronic transmission aggressively. DTSC keeps the car tight to the road and comfort level is awesome. I had compared the S80 to Audi A4 Prestige model and it was less expensive. Audi A6 is actually the comparable car but way more expensive! Control panel with buttons is more intuitive than the I- drive on German sedans. MPG is as advertized--23 MPG pure highway and 17- 19 mixed depending on driving conditions.

Geartronic transmission, bixenon bending headlights, Dynaudio sound system, Interior seats (can't beat Volvo seats for comfort), cabin layout and finish, bluetooth (not voice activated but works great using steering wheel controls) and of course all the safety features including parking assist.

I would love to see an R design option to enhance the sporty feel, similar to my old S60 R. MPG is average for this class.