Used 2008 Volvo S80 3.2 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

s80 problems
By joe

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

2008 S80 bought new. So far radiator fan, parking brakes, radio, chassis bushings, brake booster leak.

The new standard
By Isam

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this car since 6/2008. What a pleasure to drive! I have adjustable suspension option and the car handles very well even on the comfort setting. I do not know how a BMW can beat that but I can tell you that the advanced setting will glue the car to the road. The ventilated seats are something very dear to my heart. The inside beige color is very elegant. I have an option that lets you change the degree of stiffness of steering. So you get Lexus soft and BMW stiff if you want. I have about 12,000 miles on it without a single problem so far. The xenon lights that move at night give the impression that this is a more expensive car. I truly believe that all Volvos now are the best

Favorite Features

Cooled seats, adjustable steering force.

Suggested Improvements

None

Nice car but next time a turbo
By Tall Volvo owner

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I just purchased the 2008 3.2 S80 (I have had it for 48 hours); I like the look of the car interior and exterior. The car comes up short with the handling; it has a floaty feel to it and I live in Europe and have driven Audi's, Passats and Lancias. These car have great pick-up; this car does not; you learn a lot about a vehicle when taking a trip from Germany to Italy through the mountains at night. Overall I have to say it is a nice car but the suspension needs work; Turbo is necessary if you want to get that extra kick when you need it. Also, some features should come standard with the car, e.g. blue tooth, front and rear warning detection for parking.

Favorite Features

The interior; absolutely sublime and elegant (enough room for 6' 7"); it makes you think you are in a shop where your mother will say, "Don't touch anything!!" The normal sound system is very nice; Dynaudio must be phenominal. The look on my ex- girlfriend face when she saw I had bought this car.

Suggested Improvements

If Volvo wants to compete with BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Lexus they need to work on the suspension (soft and floaty) as well as the power (in europe we constantly get into races and I have lost several to smaller engine cars; (get more oomph in the 3.2 or ditch it for the Turbo).

A Sporty Sedan fo Volvo Lovers
By WC

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Good year-end deal for current Volvo owner on '08 S70 w/Sports Package. Smart style/profile;Great alternative to BMW or Audi; A very comfortable/roomy sedan with a sports car feel. Love rear visibility (drop down rear headrests);Accessible controls;Many convenience features, e.g. auto-folding rv mirros, smart key, heated/cooled f/r seats; Runs on regular gas. Would not have chosen low profile tires-expensive, impacts turn radius and mileage.

Favorite Features

Pros:Stylish (lokks as slick as BMW and Audi); Seat comfort and adjustments; Accessible convenience features; cruise is superb.

Suggested Improvements

Peppy but unproven new engine design;More features for the price (satellite radio, upgraded audio);auto headlight washer uses lots of fluid; DSTC should default to "Off" not "On"; Mileage is good but not as good as my'99 S70

Noisy & uncomfortable ride
By Gail

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I leased the S80 at the end of Sept. I have noticed that the tires made an awful loud noise when driving moderate & high speeds. The wind noise at 50+ mph is unbelievably loud. I have been back to the dealer twice, 3 tires were replaced because they were defective. The tire noise & vibration is still there. the tires are Continental. My owners manual had tire info for 2 other brands. I guess Continentals are cheaper for Volvo. I am shocked by the poor ride from a supposedly good company. My VW Passat rode much nicer. I drive the same highways to work an hour each way, so noise is very upsetting. I will try to go up the ladder for the tires I should have had. I was told the wind noise is norm

Favorite Features

Overall appearance interior & exterior. Great sound system. Seats are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Put quality tires on all models. Reduce wind noise at speeds of 50+ mph.