2008 Volvo S80 3.2 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Sort Reviews by

I love her
By itsvolvosafe

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan V8 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle because it was a much better value than comparable BMW and Mercedes models and it also does not come with the pretentious stigma commonly associated with owning one of this cars German competitors. My previous vehicle was a Mercedes ML 320, it had many problems and was worth less than $5,000 when I bought my S80 and I still got more comments from people about the vehicle that I drove. The S80 has a subtle presence while still offering most of the power and luxuries that come with owning a BMW or Mercedes. It is not as dynamic as a 5 series or a powerful as a E550 but it still has as much power, performance and comfort as you could want in an everyday driver.

Favorite Features

Safety, V8 power, exhaust note, comfortable and simple interior, premium stereo, heated/cooled seats, AWD for NW Michigan winters, adjustable suspension, radar-guided cruise control

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth connectivity

Understated Elegance
By stevep

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

The 2008 S80 is my first Volvo purchase and I have to say I am very, very impressed. The attention to detail and quality of workmanship is outstanding. I have owned Lexus (GS and ES) and infinity (G35) and although good cars, the attention to detail is not as good as Volvo. If the long term reliability is as good as consumer reports rates the 2008, then I can see myself buying Volvo's for a long time. Performance is outstanding. The 280hp T6 is very fast, especially if you use the tip-tronic shifting. Yes, there are faster cars, but I don't think anyone balance of elegance and performance that the Volvo S80 does, not to mention its claim to fame safety features. Don't miss this one

Favorite Features

I have to say that the upgraded stereo in this vehicle is awesome! The Dynaudio brand is super high end. 650 watts, little to no distortion, 12 speakers, what can I say? Dynaudio makes some high-end studio speakers, and its on the level on nakamichi, bang and olufsan.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement i can see is that the car only averages 20 mpg. It would be a dream if this car averaged 25-30. but, it is AWD and a 4,000 Volvo lb car, so that may be asking for a lot.

Great Value for the Price
By max Perkins

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

This is a great car! We looked at BMW's/Mercedes and decided on this Volvo as we felt you pay a lot for a BMW/Mercedes name. This car drives like a dream and is SO comfortable to ride in. Have take it across country and had no back/muscle fatigue. It is very responsive, has great power and gets much better gas mileage then we expected. The T-6 is the features we were looking for in a "sports" car. The body design is very nice and we see people looking at it all the time. 4WD's are hard to find but we wanted that for the extra security when driving (lots of rain where we live). We hope to get at least 200,000 miles out of this car. Would highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Remote keyless entry/start that allows you to leave the remote in your pocket, ventilated front seats,rain sensing windshield wipers. Overall clean interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Actually, there is nothing I can recommend. This particular year did not have a blue tooth feature (one can be added), but for the money I just got a Jawbone.

s80 problems
By joe

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

2008 S80 bought new. So far radiator fan, parking brakes, radio, chassis bushings, brake booster leak.

Terrific Vehicle!
By dstogsdill

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I picked up my 08 S80 at the end of 09. This S80 had every option that Volvo made for it in 08, including the navigation, rear dvd system, and adaptive cruise with lane departure and collision warning. The car is made for cruising and is extremely comfortable and has a solid and powerful feel. The safety features are truly advanced and work well. In fact, due in part to the BLIS and Lane departure systems, I feel my driving has actually improved. The T6 is very quick and has tremendous power in all situations. Of course, we will have to see about the reliability of all these advanced features, but so far the car has made me fall in love with Volvo!

Favorite Features

Heated/cooled extremely comfortable seats, dynaudio sound system, lane departure system, keyless entry and drive, adaptive cruise (really great for road trips!)

Suggested Improvements

The only option this model appeared to miss is Bluetooth, although there are some good 3rd party systems now. Gas mileage is average at best, but what do you expect from an AWD, 4000 lb vehicle. At least I can use regular gas with no apparent loss of power.

Impressed so far...
By chelsofpdx

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan V8 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

First luxury car purchase and I am too pleased. The comfort of the seats and feel of a tank are definite positives on the road. 3-choice steering package a must...advanced option makes it like buttah!

Favorite Features

BLIS, vented, comfy seats and ease of drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better turning radius and placement of iPod adapter.

The new standard
By Isam

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this car since 6/2008. What a pleasure to drive! I have adjustable suspension option and the car handles very well even on the comfort setting. I do not know how a BMW can beat that but I can tell you that the advanced setting will glue the car to the road. The ventilated seats are something very dear to my heart. The inside beige color is very elegant. I have an option that lets you change the degree of stiffness of steering. So you get Lexus soft and BMW stiff if you want. I have about 12,000 miles on it without a single problem so far. The xenon lights that move at night give the impression that this is a more expensive car. I truly believe that all Volvos now are the best

Favorite Features

Cooled seats, adjustable steering force.

Suggested Improvements

None

2-Year Update: After Two, No More
By dgreer

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

This updates comments from 2 years ago, as the lease nears expiration. After 30K miles the suspension creaks and pops just as my 2000 model.Replacement parts by dealer never fixed the problem, It's built in by design flaw. Gas mileage has improved to 21mpg, mixed;and 27hwy.But my '04 Jag XJ8 is better:22/30, and much more fun to drive. Engine and transmission have been great, but small problems mount up, including warped brake rotors at 28K. Maintenance is relatively expensive, but is included on 2009-10 leases. Overall, a nice car; but at in this class,over $40K, I won't lease another, and would not want to purchase for the long term.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine; highway cruising; visibility; exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the suspension;make handling more sport like; make the seats (which are good) firmer with more lateral support;improve brake design for greater longevity.

It's a sleeper
By BJS

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I've looked over the internet an have reviewed many comparison among so call luxury sedans and the comments shared here, and what I am finding is that most people really have not driven the new S-80, 287hp, AWD,T6. I have had mine now for 19 months. If you desire sport and comfort it's a excellent choice. However, not many autos can compare to the ride the Lexus 350S in comfort, but the Lexus lacks speed, handling and power. It also is a (front wheel drive)car. However, the combination of power, and torque will change your mind about the S-80 AWd/T6, it will run with a 7 series BMW. Do you hear me!!!!!!!!!!!! Two months ago I raced a 7 series and KEPT PACE, UP TO 120MPH for 100 yds

Favorite Features

The acceleration, no question, as I said this car is a sleeper, go and get BMW 5, or 7 series and let's put it to the test. I think you'll find like I did a lot more money in your pocket.

Suggested Improvements

Wider wheels,and could be quieter

Nice car but next time a turbo
By Tall Volvo owner

2008 Volvo S80 Sedan 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I just purchased the 2008 3.2 S80 (I have had it for 48 hours); I like the look of the car interior and exterior. The car comes up short with the handling; it has a floaty feel to it and I live in Europe and have driven Audi's, Passats and Lancias. These car have great pick-up; this car does not; you learn a lot about a vehicle when taking a trip from Germany to Italy through the mountains at night. Overall I have to say it is a nice car but the suspension needs work; Turbo is necessary if you want to get that extra kick when you need it. Also, some features should come standard with the car, e.g. blue tooth, front and rear warning detection for parking.

Favorite Features

The interior; absolutely sublime and elegant (enough room for 6' 7"); it makes you think you are in a shop where your mother will say, "Don't touch anything!!" The normal sound system is very nice; Dynaudio must be phenominal. The look on my ex- girlfriend face when she saw I had bought this car.

Suggested Improvements

If Volvo wants to compete with BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Lexus they need to work on the suspension (soft and floaty) as well as the power (in europe we constantly get into races and I have lost several to smaller engine cars; (get more oomph in the 3.2 or ditch it for the Turbo).