Used 2008 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

I love her
By itsvolvosafe

2008 Volvo S80 V8 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this vehicle because it was a much better value than comparable BMW and Mercedes models and it also does not come with the pretentious stigma commonly associated with owning one of this cars German competitors. My previous vehicle was a Mercedes ML 320, it had many problems and was worth less than $5,000 when I bought my S80 and I still got more comments from people about the vehicle that I drove. The S80 has a subtle presence while still offering most of the power and luxuries that come with owning a BMW or Mercedes. It is not as dynamic as a 5 series or a powerful as a E550 but it still has as much power, performance and comfort as you could want in an everyday driver.

Favorite Features

Safety, V8 power, exhaust note, comfortable and simple interior, premium stereo, heated/cooled seats, AWD for NW Michigan winters, adjustable suspension, radar-guided cruise control

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth connectivity

Understated Elegance
By stevep

2008 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

The 2008 S80 is my first Volvo purchase and I have to say I am very, very impressed. The attention to detail and quality of workmanship is outstanding. I have owned Lexus (GS and ES) and infinity (G35) and although good cars, the attention to detail is not as good as Volvo. If the long term reliability is as good as consumer reports rates the 2008, then I can see myself buying Volvo's for a long time. Performance is outstanding. The 280hp T6 is very fast, especially if you use the tip-tronic shifting. Yes, there are faster cars, but I don't think anyone balance of elegance and performance that the Volvo S80 does, not to mention its claim to fame safety features. Don't miss this one

Favorite Features

I have to say that the upgraded stereo in this vehicle is awesome! The Dynaudio brand is super high end. 650 watts, little to no distortion, 12 speakers, what can I say? Dynaudio makes some high-end studio speakers, and its on the level on nakamichi, bang and olufsan.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement i can see is that the car only averages 20 mpg. It would be a dream if this car averaged 25-30. but, it is AWD and a 4,000 Volvo lb car, so that may be asking for a lot.

Great Value for the Price
By max Perkins

2008 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

This is a great car! We looked at BMW's/Mercedes and decided on this Volvo as we felt you pay a lot for a BMW/Mercedes name. This car drives like a dream and is SO comfortable to ride in. Have take it across country and had no back/muscle fatigue. It is very responsive, has great power and gets much better gas mileage then we expected. The T-6 is the features we were looking for in a "sports" car. The body design is very nice and we see people looking at it all the time. 4WD's are hard to find but we wanted that for the extra security when driving (lots of rain where we live). We hope to get at least 200,000 miles out of this car. Would highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Remote keyless entry/start that allows you to leave the remote in your pocket, ventilated front seats,rain sensing windshield wipers. Overall clean interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Actually, there is nothing I can recommend. This particular year did not have a blue tooth feature (one can be added), but for the money I just got a Jawbone.

s80 problems
By joe

2008 Volvo S80 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

2008 S80 bought new. So far radiator fan, parking brakes, radio, chassis bushings, brake booster leak.

Terrific Vehicle!
By dstogsdill

2008 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I picked up my 08 S80 at the end of 09. This S80 had every option that Volvo made for it in 08, including the navigation, rear dvd system, and adaptive cruise with lane departure and collision warning. The car is made for cruising and is extremely comfortable and has a solid and powerful feel. The safety features are truly advanced and work well. In fact, due in part to the BLIS and Lane departure systems, I feel my driving has actually improved. The T6 is very quick and has tremendous power in all situations. Of course, we will have to see about the reliability of all these advanced features, but so far the car has made me fall in love with Volvo!

Favorite Features

Heated/cooled extremely comfortable seats, dynaudio sound system, lane departure system, keyless entry and drive, adaptive cruise (really great for road trips!)

Suggested Improvements

The only option this model appeared to miss is Bluetooth, although there are some good 3rd party systems now. Gas mileage is average at best, but what do you expect from an AWD, 4000 lb vehicle. At least I can use regular gas with no apparent loss of power.