Used 2006 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Fantastic Piece of Machinery
By david718

2006 Volvo S80 2.5T 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have wanted a Volvo S80 ever since the new design came out in 1999. Although it took me till 2007 to purchase a used 2006 S80, I feel that I have scored big. The exterior design is sleek and looks good from every angle. All lines look proportionate and the headlight and tail light assemblies are "Jewel-Like." The interior is refined and practical with a "Watch-Like" dash, wood trim and comfortable heated seats. The plethora of options make driving a pleasure and you will wonder how you ever drove without them. The turbo provides enough acceleration when needed and I average about 24 mpg. Quality of finish and mechanical components has been very good and service from dealer exceptional.

Favorite Features

Body styling, interior accoutrement, ease of controls and handling. Love the heated seats especially on very cold days here in the northwest and the winter driving mode has been useful on many occasions. Park assist is very helpful when backing up. Comfortable, and stylish ride.

Suggested Improvements

There is no interior trunk release inside the cabin, fixed on the 2007. Increase soundproofing to eliminate some road noise. Darken the top of the dashboard to eliminate dashboard reflection, fixed on 2007.

What You'd Expect From Volvo
By brad

2006 Volvo S80 2.5T 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is underpowered, but typical of most turbos there is a lag from pressing the gas until the turbo kicks in. This car does better at higher speeds - think of it as a highway cruiser. I drive mostly highway using premium fuel and average 23 to 24 mpg. There is a 2nd A/C outlet on the center console facing backseat that is good for folks needing more than 1 outlet (just snake your cord between console and seat if you need to be tidy). Paint finish is excellent. Interior comfort is excellent. Great value.

Favorite Features

Heated front seats. Interior and exterior styling. Factory speakers have good sound. Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Factory radio takes up a lot of dash space for having so few features. Bought this car used and no way to delete the preset radio stations so must scroll through dead channels to get to station I want. Do wish it had more power. Suspension is a little "floaty" but not bad for such a heavy sedan.

Good all-around value
By fca

2006 Volvo S80 2.5T 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought for reasons of safety and value at end of model run (before the S80 redesign for 2007). Wife had bought our first Volvo (2004 XC70) and was pleased with Volvo ownership experience (good ride, solid, secure feel, and attentive dealer service.) Same engine (5 cyl turbo) as XC70, but quicker and better handling (17" wheels).

Favorite Features

Understated, but refined, interior. Comfortable seats, good factory audio system. Secure, responsive handling. Safety features a real plus (whiplash protection, side impact protection, plus higher tensile steel in roof & pillars.)

Suggested Improvements

Quirky radio controls (also a problem on XC70) have apparently been addressed in newer models. Can't open trunk with key in ignition. Drink holders awkward. Actual mileage averages 19 locally, 23 on highway, but could be better (regular gas).

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By jlgva

2006 Volvo S80 2.5T 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I can't say enough positive things about this car. Granted my old car was a 1998 Maxima with 160K miles. Comfortable, quiet, handles well. Could use more acceleration but it has enough for me. Averaging 25/32 MPG city/hwy - I use cruise control a lot. Chose this over BWM 525i, Lexus ES 330, Jaguar XJ8, Infiniti G35, Lincoln LS - I drove a lot of cars. The S80 was the best combination of comfort, features, reliability, and price.

Favorite Features

Smooth, quiet, very comfortable for long road trips. Responsive cruise control. Excellent braking. Power when needed. Quality leather. Certified warranty. Price!

Suggested Improvements

Improved radio controls, better acceleration.

My all-time favorite car!
By Laura Deihl

2006 Volvo S80 2.5T 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

What a joy to drive. Handles great, comfortable. Feel totally confident and secure. Amazing such a safe car has such a lovely, almost sporty feel to a luxurious ride. Sumptuous. Perfect size.

Favorite Features

Ease of handling, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of one. Truly my all-time favorite car. And my last Volvo I drove 285 miles...