Used 2005 Volvo S80 2.5T Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

LOVE this car - on my second one at 167K miles
By volvocandy

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my second S80 and I absolutely love this car. It's the perfect size, gets really good mileage and is Swedish non-nonsense luxury personified. No Lexis toys in a toy, just quiet and comfortable safety that you can trust, all in understated elegance. It also had the ability to lock in car seats for my twin grandsons that many cars to not - which is still another safety feature.

Favorite Features

Of course I love the safety built in to this car. But I also really enjoy the fact that I do planned maintenance and have never had unexpected problems arise. I'm short and this driver's seat is hands down the most comfortable seat I've ever been in; I particularly like that the front of the seat has a tilt so that the seat under my legs can be slightly lower than the portion nearer to the back of my body. It makes long road trips a joy. It's quiet, comfortable, safe, reliable, and has a low cost of maintenance. Compared to other luxury cars there really is no comparison when you consider the cost. A total stand out car. Will probably buy a third when this one hits 300-400K.

Suggested Improvements

I replaced the GPS with an after-market one. But I don't think any stock units are as good as the after-market ones today, Volvo or not.

Just a great car to own
By nickosmith

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned this car for just over 3 years ..and i must say i am loving each and every bit of it. This is my 1st Volvo and i did a lot of research and found that 2005 or 2006 S80 were the best compare to older years. I never had any problems because i have maintained it well. If you are looking for older design S80, then got for 2005 or 2006 year model. i always wanted a Volvo with turbo and i was going for S60 but i found same price and bit higher mileage an S80, and had more leg room and some neat options. And i was glad i made that decision. These cars are built solid and feel firm on road. And good mpg considering its size. I guess its a small engine with turbo.

Favorite Features

rain sensing wipers..( well it has to rain 1st.) But i love it when it works.. And reverse sensors parking

Suggested Improvements

Improve on option list Volvo!! Volvo has a weird option list i think. Some S80 have navigation but didnt come with rear parking sensors. My car is pretty much fully loaded but no navigation.. And i dont like the headlights to come on when the car is on. I would like to switch them on/off whenever i want to.

This car has ruined my life.
By s80sux

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

only 63,000 miles and the "No oil pressure" "stop vehicle" light comes on, I had to have the vehicle towed to the dealership and the repairs are well over $1800.00 which I cannot afford. I am NO LONGER ABLE TO GO TO COLLEGE!!! since I have no car and have no way of getting there. This car is a money pit and has literally ruined my life.

Suggested Improvements

how about an engine that lasts more than 63,000 miles? ( car had oil change every 3k full synthetic)

Volvo-For Life
By volvos80

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I am privileged to be driving this wonderful machine. Since childhood, I have always wanted a Volvo upon reaching 16 years of age. I was fortunate to find an amazing deal on such an amazing car! I have only had to take it in for scheduled maintenance and two out of maintenance issues (hole in radiator and key fob malfunction--both covered under CPO warranty). We also own a XC90 with the same engine, and the two are like night and day. I would recommend any person purchase this vehicle, especially with the 2.5T engine (has power and great on gas-31 on highway). Currently the S80 has 70,000 miles, and anyone cannot believe it is that old. You will not be disappointed!

Favorite Features

SAFETY!-was almost hit on I-45 and the car handled so well I was able to avoid being hit going 60mph by an Infiniti; Quality of materials; Power; The signature Volvo seats- very comfortable; Pretty much the whole car! Especially with the Sport package! ITS A VOLVO!

Suggested Improvements

Layout of radio, but it was improved with the second generation. Also the cup holder design is not very useful- also improved in the second generation.

S80 2.0T unique to Europe and Asia
By MAURICE WILLIAMS

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my third Volvo having previously owned a 850GLT and an S70. In comparison the S80 2.0T is underpowered at 190 hp. It's slow off the mark but once on the highway its brilliant and comfortable all the way up to 180km/h after which it gets choppy. This would not have been the case with the S70 or 850GLT which has superior power to weight ratio and better handling. I recently went to BSR Sweden and reformatted the OBD. And now it runs at 225 hp which makes it a whole lot more economical to run in town and performs like stink in excess of 230 kmh. I had to shod on a set of 18" rims with 235/40 series tyers to keep the car on the road. Overall this car vs my Merc Coupe is good.

Favorite Features

The ride on highways.

Suggested Improvements

Overhang weight stresses the bearings and steering bushes too much.