Used 2005 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

05 Volvo S80 T6 2.9 Premiere
By Cid

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Premier Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought for $4999,two weeks later ,reduced engine performance message came on.
Paid $120 for an induction cleaning(throttle body needed it most),& haven't an issue since(6mos)!!!
This car fits me like a second skin, floats like a cloud, & all the horses I need.....Great Ride!!!! P.s. mpg's could be better.... But not that bad!!!

T6 Poor Reliability, Too Many Problems - Avoid All VOLVOS
By roversocal

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

In a sentence: do not buy Volvo or any model S80.
PERIOD! Poured about $3500 in repairs into the car over 2 years only to have problems with transmission shifting and random CELs. I know cars. Here's what was done: new struts, serpentine belt, fuel filter, MAF, coil packs. Then a transmission service urgent light came on at 78k miles with long upshift. Paid for software update and drain/fill..no change. Volvo Santa Ana was garbage and always overcharged/misdiagnosed. You can get an old Civic/Corolla with better reliability. The car literally sat because we thought it was unsafe and would walk instead.

Style. Elegance. Features. Twin-turbo power in engine.

RELIABILITY. Too much expensive maintenance. Avoid all Volvos. They might go out of business like Saab. Don't even buy newer ones and don't give your money away to dealers. These are BAD cars and made life hell for weeks at a time

LOVE this car - on my second one at 167K miles
By volvocandy

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my second S80 and I absolutely love this car. It's the perfect size, gets really good mileage and is Swedish non-nonsense luxury personified. No Lexis toys in a toy, just quiet and comfortable safety that you can trust, all in understated elegance. It also had the ability to lock in car seats for my twin grandsons that many cars to not - which is still another safety feature.

Of course I love the safety built in to this car. But I also really enjoy the fact that I do planned maintenance and have never had unexpected problems arise. I'm short and this driver's seat is hands down the most comfortable seat I've ever been in; I particularly like that the front of the seat has a tilt so that the seat under my legs can be slightly lower than the portion nearer to the back of my body. It makes long road trips a joy. It's quiet, comfortable, safe, reliable, and has a low cost of maintenance. Compared to other luxury cars there really is no comparison when you consider the cost. A total stand out car. Will probably buy a third when this one hits 300-400K.

I replaced the GPS with an after-market one. But I don't think any stock units are as good as the after-market ones today, Volvo or not.

Just a great car to own
By nickosmith

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned this car for just over 3 years ..and i must say i am loving each and every bit of it. This is my 1st Volvo and i did a lot of research and found that 2005 or 2006 S80 were the best compare to older years. I never had any problems because i have maintained it well. If you are looking for older design S80, then got for 2005 or 2006 year model.
i always wanted a Volvo with turbo and i was going for S60 but i found same price and bit higher mileage an S80, and had more leg room and some neat options. And i was glad i made that decision.
These cars are built solid and feel firm on road. And
good mpg considering its size. I guess its a small engine with turbo.

rain sensing wipers..( well it has to rain 1st.) But i love it when it works.. And reverse sensors parking

Improve on option list Volvo!! Volvo has a weird option list i think. Some S80 have navigation but didnt come with rear parking sensors. My car is pretty much fully loaded but no navigation.. And i dont like the headlights to come on when the car is on. I would like to switch them on/off whenever i want to.

This car has ruined my life.
By s80sux

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

only 63,000 miles and the "No oil pressure" "stop vehicle" light comes on, I had to have the vehicle towed to the dealership and the repairs are well over $1800.00 which I cannot afford. I am NO LONGER ABLE TO GO TO COLLEGE!!! since I have no car and have no way of getting there. This car is a money pit and has literally ruined my life.

how about an engine that lasts more than 63,000 miles? ( car had oil change every 3k full synthetic)