2005 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
T6 Poor Reliability, Too Many Problems - Avoid All VOLVOS
By roversocal on 03/18/14 10:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

In a sentence: do not buy Volvo or any model S80. PERIOD! Poured about $3500 in repairs into the car over 2 years only to have problems with transmission shifting and random CELs. I know cars. Here's what was done: new struts, serpentine belt, fuel filter, MAF, coil packs. Then a transmission service urgent light came on at 78k miles with long upshift. Paid for software update and drain/fill..no change. Volvo Santa Ana was garbage and always overcharged/misdiagnosed. You can get an old Civic/Corolla with better reliability. The car literally sat because we thought it was unsafe and would walk instead.

LOVE this car - on my second one at 167K miles
By volvocandy on 11/25/13 11:28 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my second S80 and I absolutely love this car. It's the perfect size, gets really good mileage and is Swedish non-nonsense luxury personified. No Lexis toys in a toy, just quiet and comfortable safety that you can trust, all in understated elegance. It also had the ability to lock in car seats for my twin grandsons that many cars to not - which is still another safety feature.

Just a great car to own
By nickosmith on 07/10/12 12:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned this car for just over 3 years ..and i must say i am loving each and every bit of it. This is my 1st Volvo and i did a lot of research and found that 2005 or 2006 S80 were the best compare to older years. I never had any problems because i have maintained it well. If you are looking for older design S80, then got for 2005 or 2006 year model. i always wanted a Volvo with turbo and i was going for S60 but i found same price and bit higher mileage an S80, and had more leg room and some neat options. And i was glad i made that decision. These cars are built solid and feel firm on road. And good mpg considering its size. I guess its a small engine with turbo.

This car has ruined my life.
By s80sux on 04/15/11 18:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

only 63,000 miles and the "No oil pressure" "stop vehicle" light comes on, I had to have the vehicle towed to the dealership and the repairs are well over $1800.00 which I cannot afford. I am NO LONGER ABLE TO GO TO COLLEGE!!! since I have no car and have no way of getting there. This car is a money pit and has literally ruined my life.

Volvo-For Life
By volvos80 on 06/10/10 15:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I am privileged to be driving this wonderful machine. Since childhood, I have always wanted a Volvo upon reaching 16 years of age. I was fortunate to find an amazing deal on such an amazing car! I have only had to take it in for scheduled maintenance and two out of maintenance issues (hole in radiator and key fob malfunction--both covered under CPO warranty). We also own a XC90 with the same engine, and the two are like night and day. I would recommend any person purchase this vehicle, especially with the 2.5T engine (has power and great on gas-31 on highway). Currently the S80 has 70,000 miles, and anyone cannot believe it is that old. You will not be disappointed!

S80 2.0T unique to Europe and Asia
By MAURICE WILLIAMS on 11/10/09 09:06 AM (PST)

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my third Volvo having previously owned a 850GLT and an S70. In comparison the S80 2.0T is underpowered at 190 hp. It's slow off the mark but once on the highway its brilliant and comfortable all the way up to 180km/h after which it gets choppy. This would not have been the case with the S70 or 850GLT which has superior power to weight ratio and better handling. I recently went to BSR Sweden and reformatted the OBD. And now it runs at 225 hp which makes it a whole lot more economical to run in town and performs like stink in excess of 230 kmh. I had to shod on a set of 18" rims with 235/40 series tyers to keep the car on the road. Overall this car vs my Merc Coupe is good.

Bought Used
By Statik on 03/23/09 14:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I researched a few vehicles and liked this car because it could fit four adults and a car seat comfortably. The base engine feels stronger than my v-6 mustang. It has good traction and it is well designed inside and out. I also enjoyed the 100k pre-owned warranty from volvo came with it even though I bought it from a private party. I would recommend this car to others.

Love that Volvo
By Black Beauty on 07/10/07 17:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Premier Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This is the second Volvo we have owned, nothing's better. We bought ours in Germany and had it shipped to the US. It's the best car, it rides great and handles well. Very roomie the children love it.

Great Buy:
By Mark Smipson on 06/05/05 08:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car has a very smooth ride and a very smooth 5 cylinder engine. This car is probobly the most comfortable car with the best leather I have been in in years. The relliabillity has been good.

Proud Volve Owner
By Lori on 05/28/05 07:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Premier Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This car is truly worth the money. This is the first volvo I have ever owned and probably would never buy any other car. I have to say it handles as well as a BMW. This sedan is spacious, even with 3 kids in the back, and one of them in a car seat. The car is a very classy car but yet it has a nice sporty flare. The turbo definitely gets this car out of its own way. The most important factor is its safety rating. That is why I bought a Volvo in the first place. All the features and controls are easy to reach without feeling like your going out of your way, or taking your eyes off the road. Highly recommend this car to anyone who wants extra value and safety for their buck!!