2004 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Would buy again...
By colby92 on 05/21/11 20:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004, 2.9L straight-6 (no turbo) Volvo S80 with over 94,000 miles. I am getting about 19mpg city and 26mpg highway; not bad for a 4000lb tank. The seats are EXTREMELY comfortable and the vehicle feels very solid all around. I feel very safe in this car and would not drive anything else because Volvo does not cut corners on safety. They had side airbags STANDARD in 1998, WOW! The American and Japanese automakers cannot touch Volvo's safety record. Knock on wood, I haven't had anything major go wrong with it, just a broken popup cup holder. Like most cars, the Volvos will love you if you give them some love. Maintain them and you shouldn't worry about reliability.

Big Disappointment
By jimmi on 07/16/10 10:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my car since almost new. For the first couple of years, it performed well. It went through routine maintenance. After 100k, problems started happening. In the last 3 months I've spent over $4500 on repairs, from buying a new axle, brakes, brushes, repairing leaks...etc. (remind you this car goes through extensive routine service). The car has a nice title, but it comes with a price. Volvo is not the same Volvo we've all knew growing up. It's a Ford 500 :-(. I really don't want to buy a new car, but I'm being forced to because I refuse to put another dime on fixing it. I'm looking at more practical cars like, honda, acura, toyota, lexus. don't recommend a volvo, new or used.

Failures
By William S. Devey on 07/08/08 06:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Volvo in 14 years. This model has not been as reliable as my previous 850. Failures to date: tumblers falling out of ignition; passenger mirror simply falling off the car; both trunk support struts broken; ventilation malfunctioning (can be repaired for $1,200 per Volvo dealer); windshield washer not functioning properly (repaired once).

Very disappointed
By Ken on 01/26/08 10:42 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

After extensive research, we picked the 2004 Volvo S80 cause it seemed reliable and comfortable for my height - 6'6". Only the 2004-2006 models could I fit in. Since we bought the car from dealership, we've had it in for service 5 times and after the last service where they couldnt fix the acclerating problem when braking, we've decided to cut our losses and find another vehicle. Other problems included seat belt squeaking, windshield wiper timer, headlight adjustment, brakes, and more. Disappointed the car turned out to be lemon.

S80 Reliability
By 2004 2.9 S80 on 01/02/08 11:25 AM (PST)

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

At 79,000 miles this car is on its third transmission. The front struts have broken through nornal driving. It has had two leaks of transmission fluid. The second leak required the radiator to be removed to replace a hose. The interior design makes it very difficult to see traffic behind you. This is our third (and last) Volvo. Repairs this year alone came to over $4000.

volvo ownership
By La Vonne Stewart on 02/04/06 14:16 PM (PST)

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Sitting in this vehicle is comfortable but Ido not like the center console. It is not convenient to have a cup of coffee while driving. And that mickey mouse pop-up console drives me baty as it doesn't hold anything properly. i also dislike the control for the side view mirrors. Your 1986 model was much more efficient. I hate having to hit the right or left first then adjust. I've had better steering wheel adjustments. Take the 1983 Tyota for instance. I don't really feel I have complete control of this vehicle. It in a way controls me. And I would prefer push button passing gear..like the '91 240for instance. Also there's not enough room for C.D storage nor does it fit properly.

JB S80
By jrb on 06/29/05 15:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

The Volvo S80 is the most comfortable car I have ever driven and that is including virtually all production "luxury cars". The old design 2.9 engine is plenty strong enough for me. If I could change anything it would be to reduce wind noise although it is not bad but not as good as Lexus or S series Mercedes. It has a very solid feel and to this point I have had no problems with this car.

Great family car and fun to drive too
By Prepsel on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I use to own a 2001 S80 and loved that car after putting 60,000 miles on it. After stepping into the 2004 S80, I love this car even more, there have been many changes made since 2001 and all for the better.

Wonderful Car - Fun to Drive
By Bob Erfle on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

The 6 cyl (non-turbo) moves this full- sized car very well. I look for excuses to go for drives (or steal it away from my wife & take it to work!). The trunk is very roomy. The Safety features are and have been one of the primary hallmarks of Volvo – they don’t come much higher rated

Exceptional Automobile
By ondre on 04/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Ladies and gentlemen this is a wonderful car that I am glad I purchased. Non only is it a head turner but a fun car to drive and like they say Volvo's are a great built car. Check it out for your self