Used 2004 Volvo S80 2.9 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Would buy again...
By colby92

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004, 2.9L straight-6 (no turbo) Volvo S80 with over 94,000 miles. I am getting about 19mpg city and 26mpg highway; not bad for a 4000lb tank. The seats are EXTREMELY comfortable and the vehicle feels very solid all around. I feel very safe in this car and would not drive anything else because Volvo does not cut corners on safety. They had side airbags STANDARD in 1998, WOW! The American and Japanese automakers cannot touch Volvo's safety record. Knock on wood, I haven't had anything major go wrong with it, just a broken popup cup holder. Like most cars, the Volvos will love you if you give them some love. Maintain them and you shouldn't worry about reliability.

Extremely comfortable seats, tons of active and passive safety features, solid build quality, fully automatic windows/sunroof, automatic fold-down for rear head restraints, passed all IIHS crash tests with flying colors and is a top safety pick, roomy for people over 6 feet tall, computer that calculates fuel economy (average, instantaneous, miles left on tank), roomy trunk, good visibility, and have I mentioned safety enough?

It could have better acceleration, cheaper replacement parts, improved fuel economy and a higher-end CVT or 6-speed automatic transmission

Big Disappointment
By jimmi

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my car since almost new. For the first couple of years, it performed well. It went through routine maintenance. After 100k, problems started happening. In the last 3 months I've spent over $4500 on repairs, from buying a new axle, brakes, brushes, repairing leaks...etc. (remind you this car goes through extensive routine service). The car has a nice title, but it comes with a price. Volvo is not the same Volvo we've all knew growing up. It's a Ford 500 :-(. I really don't want to buy a new car, but I'm being forced to because I refuse to put another dime on fixing it. I'm looking at more practical cars like, honda, acura, toyota, lexus. don't recommend a volvo, new or used.

Ride, durability, quietness

reliability, lacking characteristics in what makes a Volvo, GAS GUZZLER, expensive maintenance.

Failures
By William S. Devey

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Volvo in 14 years. This model has not been as reliable as my previous 850. Failures to date: tumblers falling out of ignition; passenger mirror simply falling off the car; both trunk support struts broken; ventilation malfunctioning (can be repaired for $1,200 per Volvo dealer); windshield washer not functioning properly (repaired once).

The car is made to cruise at 70-80 mph on the interstate. Comfortable.

Very disappointed
By Ken

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

After extensive research, we picked the 2004 Volvo S80 cause it seemed reliable and comfortable for my height - 6'6". Only the 2004-2006 models could I fit in. Since we bought the car from dealership, we've had it in for service 5 times and after the last service where they couldnt fix the acclerating problem when braking, we've decided to cut our losses and find another vehicle. Other problems included seat belt squeaking, windshield wiper timer, headlight adjustment, brakes, and more. Disappointed the car turned out to be lemon.

Very comfortable inside.

After the car almost accelerated into car in front several times when braking, time to get new car.

S80 Reliability
By 2004 2.9 S80

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

At 79,000 miles this car is on its third transmission. The front struts have broken through nornal driving. It has had two leaks of transmission fluid. The second leak required the radiator to be removed to replace a hose. The interior design makes it very difficult to see traffic behind you. This is our third (and last) Volvo. Repairs this year alone came to over $4000.

Safety features.

Re-design the car. The 2008 is suppose to be a new design but if the same people are manufacturing it, I would guess the Volvo reliability would be the same as the 2004....poor!

• SUV