Used 2004 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Very dissapointed
By dbaill

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought my volvo 8 years ago. I have fixed this car so many times. Fixed windows not working three time, motor mount broke, throttle body needed cleaning, lights quit working, I owned three different toyota vehicle and put over 150,000 on each and have not had problems like this in any one of them. Would never ever buy another one

Would buy again...
By colby92

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004, 2.9L straight-6 (no turbo) Volvo S80 with over 94,000 miles. I am getting about 19mpg city and 26mpg highway; not bad for a 4000lb tank. The seats are EXTREMELY comfortable and the vehicle feels very solid all around. I feel very safe in this car and would not drive anything else because Volvo does not cut corners on safety. They had side airbags STANDARD in 1998, WOW! The American and Japanese automakers cannot touch Volvo's safety record. Knock on wood, I haven't had anything major go wrong with it, just a broken popup cup holder. Like most cars, the Volvos will love you if you give them some love. Maintain them and you shouldn't worry about reliability.

Extremely comfortable seats, tons of active and passive safety features, solid build quality, fully automatic windows/sunroof, automatic fold-down for rear head restraints, passed all IIHS crash tests with flying colors and is a top safety pick, roomy for people over 6 feet tall, computer that calculates fuel economy (average, instantaneous, miles left on tank), roomy trunk, good visibility, and have I mentioned safety enough?

It could have better acceleration, cheaper replacement parts, improved fuel economy and a higher-end CVT or 6-speed automatic transmission

Big Disappointment
By jimmi

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my car since almost new. For the first couple of years, it performed well. It went through routine maintenance. After 100k, problems started happening. In the last 3 months I've spent over $4500 on repairs, from buying a new axle, brakes, brushes, repairing leaks...etc. (remind you this car goes through extensive routine service). The car has a nice title, but it comes with a price. Volvo is not the same Volvo we've all knew growing up. It's a Ford 500 :-(. I really don't want to buy a new car, but I'm being forced to because I refuse to put another dime on fixing it. I'm looking at more practical cars like, honda, acura, toyota, lexus. don't recommend a volvo, new or used.

Ride, durability, quietness

reliability, lacking characteristics in what makes a Volvo, GAS GUZZLER, expensive maintenance.

Very happy even years later
By BWS2010

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

It's unfortunate that these other owners have had a lot of problems. I have had very little problems. My cig lighter will blow every once in a while, but it's when I'm running 2 chargers at the same time so I just keep extra 20 AMP fuses in the car. The drink holders are no the best designs, but overall I have had no serious problems.

Best vehicle made!!!
By keith

2004 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

The 2004 Volvo 2.5 turbo is an excellent car. It is a 5 cylinder turbocharged engine with a 5 speed automatic transmission fwd. It gets great fuel economy(31-33) hwy-(20 city) and has wonderful go!I could never say anything but great things about this vehicle. If you ever have a chance to own one buy it, you will never regret doing so. Mine is white with camel leather a beautiful combination loaded with options. Buy one if someone will part with it, mine stays in the garage and is pampered to keep it as nice as possible.

my favorite features are the drivetrain--the inline 5 cylinder turbocharged engine with a 5 speed transmission fwd only it is perfectly balanced so you don't know its running, it will go when needed and gets outstanding fuel mileage for the size car 31-33 hwy 20 cty

none