2003 Volvo S80 Consumer Review: Major disappointment

2003 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Review

Major disappointment
By puchpuppy on

2003 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased car with 33000 miles and have been beset with any number of very expensive problems. The most expensive problem was replacing the fuel pump at 43000 miles at a cost of $1000 dollars and suffering an overwhelming smell of gasoline for a month afterward. Now there is a check engine warning that shows a code of failure of fuel system. The estimate on replacing the sensor is in the neighborhood of $800 dollars. The suspension system needs realignment every two thousand miles or so. Am on the third set of tires. Continually replacing headlight bulbs and other bulbs. I am 82 years old and have drive Volvos for years and I do not misuse a car. Am bitterly disappointed with this car!

Car is comfortable and gets good mileage. However driving with a continual fear of breakdown is maddening. Volvo should be proud of this rolling laughing stock and its need to be repaired.

Jack the horn button up and drive a Japanese car in under it!
By threehourtour
on 06/23/12 09:29 AM (PDT)

Sorry... Cooper CS4 Tires.

By threehourtour
on 06/23/12 09:28 AM (PDT)

I purchased an alignment package from my tire store. The contract for 5 years with unlimited alignments for about $169.00. I've already used it 5 times. Money well spent. The head light failre is a problem. If you take your car to one of the big auto parts stores... buy the bulb and they do the installation for free! I buy 2 bulbs at a time to save money. Whenever I purchase tires I make sure they have a milage warranty from the manufacturer and I purchase the hazard insurance from the tire store. I don't know how CS4' do in the snow, I'm in the sunbelt.

By threehourtour
on 06/23/12 09:14 AM (PDT)

FYI... The Fuel Pump on many 2003 S80's is under a recall. Check to see if your car is eligible and ask for a refund from the dealer if it is. My 2003 S80 had the pump plus more replaced courtesy of Volvo. I was told it would have cost me $1,200 if the bill was on me. Good Luck!