2002 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Expectations Exceeded
By W J Weidner on 04/10/06 11:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

A Mercedes owner, I wanted something less out there. 85% recyclable and 100% ozone to oxygen patented radtator along with comfort ride for the driver and passengers. Great price and reasonable maintenace costs. A keeper and will be a Family item for several years to come.

Volvo Has Done It Again
By Sanford on 02/18/06 01:06 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This is my 4th Volvo and so far the best I have driven/owned. The handling is superior; the exterior appearance is eye-catching; the interior is like being in your favorite easy chair; and the sound system is definitely ear- candy. The acceleration is neck popping yet safe; the braking system is very dependable; and the lights really show you the way. The heated seats are a definite plus, and the entire heating/air conditioning system does not take long to either heat or cool. This Volvo handles like a dream. If you can resist putting your foot in the gas tank, gas mileage is also a plus. I plan to drive this Volvo until the wheels fall off.

Best car I ever owned!
By mr volvo s80 on 10/03/05 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I drive about 40,000 miles per year. That equates to about 140 miles round trip per day. I considered a 2005 Honda Accord 4dr or Toyota Camry SE, but could not see myself being happy with seats or radio, let alone the exterior styling. So I looked at a certified preowned 2002 Volvo S80 4dr sedan. This car had about 55K miles, and came with a 6yr/100k mile warranty. With the big miles I put on, I felt the better deal was to buy preowned, get a $40K+ car for half the cost of new, plus get the super comfortable seats and safety design that a Volvo is noted for. I am very happy with the experience, reliability, and dealership. I love my volvo and hope to drive it 300,000 miles or more!

Great Car
By david on 09/19/05 16:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Volvo. This car runs like a dream and I got it at a steal of a price from the folks at Crown Volvo in Chapel Hill NC. The Edmunds value of the car I purchased was over $24000 as a certified pre-owned and they sold it to me for $19000.

Long Volvo History
By Paul on 09/12/05 07:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

We just bought this car as an off- lease Volvo Certified Used Car, trading in a 1996 Volvo 850 with 139,000 miles on it. I also own a 1994 850 with 125,000 miles. This model has great pick-up, is extremely quiet, and has all the luxury "bells-and- whistles" I'd ever want! Straight highway I'm getting 28 MPG on regular fuel. At almost $3.00 a gallon, that's 50% better than my Nissan SUV.

What's with the lights!
By Cavpilot on 12/24/04 13:05 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

What a beautiful car! We get lots of complements on looks and styling. It's fun to drive and with the T6 Turbo, it can get up an go with the best Europe has to offer. Very comfortable, great heated seats and the sound system is can really crank it out. It rides like a dream and handles well too. Overall we are pretty pleased with the car. Now the BAD NEWS....We have had the car for 3 years and it has been in the shop more than 10 times for a variety of problems. The biggest offenders are the head lights and daytime running lights. We have had them replaced no less than five times. The front brakes had to be replaced at 35K miles, which seems a little early for normal driving.

Better than expected
By cb on 12/22/04 13:07 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I was familiar with the bad rap the early S80's received and bought a 2002 anyway for my wife. It was under warranty and I figured the bugs should be worked out by now. So far the car has been wonderful to drive and own. We've had zero problems and my wife absolutely loves it. The 2.9 NA motor has decent power but is by no means a hot rod. Fuel economy is superb for such a large car and it is extremely smooth and quiet.

Better than expected
By cb on 12/22/04 13:07 PM (PST)

Great cruiser
By gunner12 on 09/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car just off lease (2 yr) and the service records show a few small defects (cooling fan and brake pedal position sensor)initially repaired under warranty. The car has been flawless and a very satisfying daily driver. Excellent engine smoothness, power, and fuel economy (24.6 mpg mostly city). Extremely solid and quiet body structure. Excellent sound system--one of the best I've ever experienced. We shall see how well it does in snow soon! No negatives at all so far (4 months).

serious machine
By jdm on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

price performance is great, one of the best in the bunch. very well built, low noise, great torque. a mercedes-lexus- bmw like with 10-15K$ less.