Used 2002 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Volvo struts
By Alan

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 75th Anniversary Edition 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have had the car for about 1 1/2 years, bought summer of '09 with approx 90k on the miles. The struts need to be replaced and the tie rods as well. For a 75th Anniversary edition it has to have the worst radio I have ever had in a vehicle, ever! Reception stinks and the speakers aren't that good either. The key fob system for the doors is terrible as well with delays before the doors unlock and no horn beep when it locks. I have one other problem with the power outlets. Whenever something is plugged into them, such as my gps, it blows the fuse. Something must be wrong with the electrical system someplace but I'm sure it would cost a small fortune to find the problem.

The acceleration, quick acting heated seats, exterior styling, durable anniversary edition special leather seats (I have kids that put it to the test all the time).

Better struts, key fob system, and power supply outlets in the car have electrical problems.

nice to the eyes
By nice car

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

When the Volvo s80 first hit the market in 1999 I took a liking to it. I now own one and love it but I really don't like the fact that they won't do recalls for the front struts because I went to get mine checked and they were not very surprised that my struts were rattling and going out, they said it has been very common with Volvo, a very irritating noise and it make the car sound really junky, but other than that it's a very nice car if you can deal with a rattling front end.

heated seats, steering wheel audio control, unlike most I love the front seat headrest and just the overall design

better struts for the money,stand by your name and do a recall on crappy struts

Not Too Shabby
By GG

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

It's comfortable, safe, plenty of cupholders, plenty of leg room, gorgeous interior. You can't really ask for much more as far as the interior goes. I love the heated seats in the winter. It handles nicely, and its pretty fast for what it is. I'm not sure if I'd go as far to say that its the best car I've ever owned, but it is a beauty. I've had some problems with the tail lights, when I shut the trunk they'll go out and I have to whack them a bit to get them back on. The winshield wiper fluid got disconnected, not sure why. I poured fluid in the resevoir and it just poured out onto the driveway. Car won't start if the gas gauge needle hits the red area.

Interior is very well made. Heated seats work great, heat up very fast. I've never seen a windshield defrost quite as fast as this one does, its amazing. Very comfortable ride. Headlights are insanely bright. Trunk is very roomy, love the fold down seats. Overall great looking car.

Gas mileage is my biggest problem, but it is a luxury sedan, so I'm not sure I can complain too much. Value depreciates way too fast, its a shame. This car has odd little problems, which are quite expensive to fix. Brake dust is excessive.

Well built superior quality
By John D

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Well built, still very happy after 5 years+ of daily usage. 67k miles with zero problems. A pleasure to drive. Good mileage on highways. Everything works fine, distinctive design, swedish engineering.

Comfort and spacious, best in class seats, great torque from 30 to 65 mph, outstanding hifi system, very reliable.

Inexplicable very low reselling value, limited color selection,

Comfort and Style
By Jude Rafeal

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced transmission under warranty at around 67K miles. Makes me wonder if this car is a keeper. What else might go wrong when it is not under warranty? Otherwise, I like the car very much. I am a Boomer and always wanted a Volvo in college.

Ride and heavy feel on the 2.9 is what I like most. Also it takes regular gas. Style is Boss and progressive.

Radio is confusing.