Used 2002 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

nice to the eyes
By nice car

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

When the Volvo s80 first hit the market in 1999 I took a liking to it. I now own one and love it but I really don't like the fact that they won't do recalls for the front struts because I went to get mine checked and they were not very surprised that my struts were rattling and going out, they said it has been very common with Volvo, a very irritating noise and it make the car sound really junky, but other than that it's a very nice car if you can deal with a rattling front end.

Favorite Features

heated seats, steering wheel audio control, unlike most I love the front seat headrest and just the overall design

Suggested Improvements

better struts for the money,stand by your name and do a recall on crappy struts

Not Too Shabby
By GG

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

It's comfortable, safe, plenty of cupholders, plenty of leg room, gorgeous interior. You can't really ask for much more as far as the interior goes. I love the heated seats in the winter. It handles nicely, and its pretty fast for what it is. I'm not sure if I'd go as far to say that its the best car I've ever owned, but it is a beauty. I've had some problems with the tail lights, when I shut the trunk they'll go out and I have to whack them a bit to get them back on. The winshield wiper fluid got disconnected, not sure why. I poured fluid in the resevoir and it just poured out onto the driveway. Car won't start if the gas gauge needle hits the red area.

Favorite Features

Interior is very well made. Heated seats work great, heat up very fast. I've never seen a windshield defrost quite as fast as this one does, its amazing. Very comfortable ride. Headlights are insanely bright. Trunk is very roomy, love the fold down seats. Overall great looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is my biggest problem, but it is a luxury sedan, so I'm not sure I can complain too much. Value depreciates way too fast, its a shame. This car has odd little problems, which are quite expensive to fix. Brake dust is excessive.

Well built superior quality
By John D

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Well built, still very happy after 5 years+ of daily usage. 67k miles with zero problems. A pleasure to drive. Good mileage on highways. Everything works fine, distinctive design, swedish engineering.

Favorite Features

Comfort and spacious, best in class seats, great torque from 30 to 65 mph, outstanding hifi system, very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Inexplicable very low reselling value, limited color selection,

Comfort and Style
By Jude Rafeal

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced transmission under warranty at around 67K miles. Makes me wonder if this car is a keeper. What else might go wrong when it is not under warranty? Otherwise, I like the car very much. I am a Boomer and always wanted a Volvo in college.

Favorite Features

Ride and heavy feel on the 2.9 is what I like most. Also it takes regular gas. Style is Boss and progressive.

Suggested Improvements

Radio is confusing.

quirky but overall fun to drive
By paul

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

bought this car certified used from a volvo dealership and have had it for a little over a year now and put 20K on it. other than a couple of fuses and other minor electrical problems, i.e., dome light comes on when i hit a pothole, etc, the car rocks! awesome power, maybe too much for front wheel drive but i would never complain about that. i still find the design impressive and this still feels like a sold luxury car. comp'd to the e class and 5 series, and this totally was no brainer. has been very reliable and never in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance.

Favorite Features

T6 turbo, body design, quality of interior materials.

Suggested Improvements

radio controls, both dash and steering wheel, are not intuitive, and actually might even be counterintuitive. lots of break dust on alloys. quirky electrical components.