2002 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Used Car for Christmas 2013
By evaeve on 04/01/14 07:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car after my long recovery from a motorcycle accident... And I am completely satisfied four months and 5k miles later. Repairs: When I bought it, I replaced the water pump and timing belt. I have had this vehicle serviced one time to replace/fill all the fluids. I need to replace my upstream oxygen sensor (minor issue), which will cost around $130 for the part and is easily installed (or labor $40 for labor). Struts are squeaky in this model, but that isn't a required fix. Wish List: This car has a terrible audio system. I have a 12inch long Skullcandy speaker at home that performs much better than all 6 speakers in my vehicle... which is sad.

Best Car I Will Ever Own
By lauryncox on 01/28/13 09:16 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car! Bought used, 113000 miles on it and it runs like new. Had it for a year so far and have only had to get it serviced. Runs better on premium gas - it does last a bit longer than regular though so don't let the price deter you. Great power, runs quiet, beautiful interior, can't imagine owning something better. Only complaint is that when a message like "time for regular service" or "bulb failure" appears on the message board, you have to have it erased when you fix the problem or it stays. I've gotta say, if that's my biggest problem with this car, it's a pretty great car. Great audio too. Highly recommend.

Overpriced, overvalued, and just not worth it.
By ihatemyvolvo on 01/26/13 18:06 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

From when I first bought the car it had problems. Normally these things happen, such as fixing the brakes. However because it is a Volvo, the parts are almost always double the cost of any other vehicle part! Unless you have the money to sometimes be dropping $1000 to fix the car, you'll find yourself regretting the purchase whenever a problem does arise.

nice to the eyes
By nice car on 06/01/09 08:12 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

When the Volvo s80 first hit the market in 1999 I took a liking to it. I now own one and love it but I really don't like the fact that they won't do recalls for the front struts because I went to get mine checked and they were not very surprised that my struts were rattling and going out, they said it has been very common with Volvo, a very irritating noise and it make the car sound really junky, but other than that it's a very nice car if you can deal with a rattling front end.

Well built superior quality
By John D on 11/20/07 21:36 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Well built, still very happy after 5 years+ of daily usage. 67k miles with zero problems. A pleasure to drive. Good mileage on highways. Everything works fine, distinctive design, swedish engineering.

Comfort and Style
By Jude Rafeal on 04/30/07 11:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced transmission under warranty at around 67K miles. Makes me wonder if this car is a keeper. What else might go wrong when it is not under warranty? Otherwise, I like the car very much. I am a Boomer and always wanted a Volvo in college.

Expectations Exceeded
By W J Weidner on 04/10/06 11:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

A Mercedes owner, I wanted something less out there. 85% recyclable and 100% ozone to oxygen patented radtator along with comfort ride for the driver and passengers. Great price and reasonable maintenace costs. A keeper and will be a Family item for several years to come.

Best car I ever owned!
By mr volvo s80 on 10/03/05 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I drive about 40,000 miles per year. That equates to about 140 miles round trip per day. I considered a 2005 Honda Accord 4dr or Toyota Camry SE, but could not see myself being happy with seats or radio, let alone the exterior styling. So I looked at a certified preowned 2002 Volvo S80 4dr sedan. This car had about 55K miles, and came with a 6yr/100k mile warranty. With the big miles I put on, I felt the better deal was to buy preowned, get a $40K+ car for half the cost of new, plus get the super comfortable seats and safety design that a Volvo is noted for. I am very happy with the experience, reliability, and dealership. I love my volvo and hope to drive it 300,000 miles or more!

Great Car
By david on 09/19/05 16:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Volvo. This car runs like a dream and I got it at a steal of a price from the folks at Crown Volvo in Chapel Hill NC. The Edmunds value of the car I purchased was over $24000 as a certified pre-owned and they sold it to me for $19000.

Long Volvo History
By Paul on 09/12/05 07:40 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

We just bought this car as an off- lease Volvo Certified Used Car, trading in a 1996 Volvo 850 with 139,000 miles on it. I also own a 1994 850 with 125,000 miles. This model has great pick-up, is extremely quiet, and has all the luxury "bells-and- whistles" I'd ever want! Straight highway I'm getting 28 MPG on regular fuel. At almost $3.00 a gallon, that's 50% better than my Nissan SUV.