2002 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Used Car for Christmas 2013
By evaeve on 04/01/14 07:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car after my long recovery from a motorcycle accident... And I am completely satisfied four months and 5k miles later. Repairs: When I bought it, I replaced the water pump and timing belt. I have had this vehicle serviced one time to replace/fill all the fluids. I need to replace my upstream oxygen sensor (minor issue), which will cost around $130 for the part and is easily installed (or labor $40 for labor). Struts are squeaky in this model, but that isn't a required fix. Wish List: This car has a terrible audio system. I have a 12inch long Skullcandy speaker at home that performs much better than all 6 speakers in my vehicle... which is sad.

Best Car I Will Ever Own
By lauryncox on 01/28/13 09:16 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car! Bought used, 113000 miles on it and it runs like new. Had it for a year so far and have only had to get it serviced. Runs better on premium gas - it does last a bit longer than regular though so don't let the price deter you. Great power, runs quiet, beautiful interior, can't imagine owning something better. Only complaint is that when a message like "time for regular service" or "bulb failure" appears on the message board, you have to have it erased when you fix the problem or it stays. I've gotta say, if that's my biggest problem with this car, it's a pretty great car. Great audio too. Highly recommend.

Overpriced, overvalued, and just not worth it.
By ihatemyvolvo on 01/26/13 18:06 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

From when I first bought the car it had problems. Normally these things happen, such as fixing the brakes. However because it is a Volvo, the parts are almost always double the cost of any other vehicle part! Unless you have the money to sometimes be dropping $1000 to fix the car, you'll find yourself regretting the purchase whenever a problem does arise.

Volvo is synonymous with quality
By giocondo on 01/09/13 18:04 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have my car for over 4 years currently has 104,000 miles and am very happy and satisfied with my s-80-t-6. 2002 driving my car every day and have never had problems of any kind. I give her maintenance when touched, very fast, good sound, stylish. is a car made ​​with quality. not by much.

Volvo struts
By Alan on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Volvo S80 T6 75th Anniversary Edition 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have had the car for about 1 1/2 years, bought summer of '09 with approx 90k on the miles. The struts need to be replaced and the tie rods as well. For a 75th Anniversary edition it has to have the worst radio I have ever had in a vehicle, ever! Reception stinks and the speakers aren't that good either. The key fob system for the doors is terrible as well with delays before the doors unlock and no horn beep when it locks. I have one other problem with the power outlets. Whenever something is plugged into them, such as my gps, it blows the fuse. Something must be wrong with the electrical system someplace but I'm sure it would cost a small fortune to find the problem.

nice to the eyes
By nice car on 06/01/09 08:12 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

When the Volvo s80 first hit the market in 1999 I took a liking to it. I now own one and love it but I really don't like the fact that they won't do recalls for the front struts because I went to get mine checked and they were not very surprised that my struts were rattling and going out, they said it has been very common with Volvo, a very irritating noise and it make the car sound really junky, but other than that it's a very nice car if you can deal with a rattling front end.

Not Too Shabby
By GG on 06/25/08 10:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

It's comfortable, safe, plenty of cupholders, plenty of leg room, gorgeous interior. You can't really ask for much more as far as the interior goes. I love the heated seats in the winter. It handles nicely, and its pretty fast for what it is. I'm not sure if I'd go as far to say that its the best car I've ever owned, but it is a beauty. I've had some problems with the tail lights, when I shut the trunk they'll go out and I have to whack them a bit to get them back on. The winshield wiper fluid got disconnected, not sure why. I poured fluid in the resevoir and it just poured out onto the driveway. Car won't start if the gas gauge needle hits the red area.

Well built superior quality
By John D on 11/20/07 21:36 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Well built, still very happy after 5 years+ of daily usage. 67k miles with zero problems. A pleasure to drive. Good mileage on highways. Everything works fine, distinctive design, swedish engineering.

Comfort and Style
By Jude Rafeal on 04/30/07 11:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Replaced transmission under warranty at around 67K miles. Makes me wonder if this car is a keeper. What else might go wrong when it is not under warranty? Otherwise, I like the car very much. I am a Boomer and always wanted a Volvo in college.

quirky but overall fun to drive
By paul on 01/25/07 15:41 PM (PST)

2002 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

bought this car certified used from a volvo dealership and have had it for a little over a year now and put 20K on it. other than a couple of fuses and other minor electrical problems, i.e., dome light comes on when i hit a pothole, etc, the car rocks! awesome power, maybe too much for front wheel drive but i would never complain about that. i still find the design impressive and this still feels like a sold luxury car. comp'd to the e class and 5 series, and this totally was no brainer. has been very reliable and never in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance.