Used 2001 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Black Beauty
By the g is silent

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

The S80 is a great car (especially in black), but is too much to maintain. The engine power seems underated because this car can really move even without the turbo. Interior is pleasing and ergonomic. Brakes stop on a dime. The premium wheels dent to easily, and accelerating around turns can cause front wheels to hop. Sensors short out in flashfloods, and warranty will not cover! Loved the car, but I am glad the lease is up.

Favorite Features

Lots of standard features, great stereo, ergonomics, controls on the steeringwheel, brakes, cannot get a safer car!

Suggested Improvements

Better tires, more watertight intake, better cornering ability.

This car is Bi-polar!!!
By IzaccBRL

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

From day one I realized that this was gonna be the car from hell!!! It looked GREAT on the outside, but there was always a WHOOOOLE lotta issues on the inside! It stayed in the shop more than I was able to drive it! I came to the conclusion that my car was a lemon until I talked to someone else who have the exact same car, & they were having the SAME exact issues that I was experiencing! Finally, the car died on a main street on my way home & I am now left carless, but atleast it lasted about 10 years! :-)

Favorite Features

The engine was powerful & the handling was great! It also had great appeal & it looked GREAT!

Suggested Improvements

FIX ALLLL issues! There r faaaaaaaaar too many to mention!!1

Volvo
By Mike BJ

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Volvo is a very good car. I had this car 2 years. It beats my 1991 Ford Explorer that lasted two years and my 1997 Linclon Town Car that lasted one year. It still doesnt beat my 1992 Acura that lasted from 1992-1997 and my wifes Honda Accord that lasted 1987- 1997. I would always recomend Volvo. The only problem is it had 3 electrical problems.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

Electric Needs All whell Drive Would get more people if you sold it brad new at $27,000

Nightmare
By Nightmare

2001 Volvo S80 T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought it used in '04 and have regretted it ever since. I'm looking at Japanese cars to finally replace this clunker. I got it with 41K miles and 10K miles later I had to replace a number of things. The biggie was rebuilt transmission at 73K miles; since then it drives like a truck with it's 13 mpg. The night mirror chemical dissipated soon thereafter, and now the car lurches to the left whenever I brake. Volvo mechanics have been unable to solve this one.

Favorite Features

Use to be quiet with comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Too numerous to mention.

Do Not Buy This Car
By mwdlaw

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 3/05 with 69k miles. Three days later the transmission blew, needed a complete rebuild, then one month later upper & lower tie rod ends needed replacement. Then at a routine fuel stop the gas tank lid hinge broke. As if that was not enough 2 power door lock actuators went bad after that. Now the car is in the shop again after failing on 4th of July weekend. We we turning left at an intersection when the car died, alsomost got struck by onccomming cars! Also lost the power steering, I'm just glad I was driving and not my wife! After limping to the shop for repairs I was told the air mass meter & the throttle body needed to be replace for $1400. This car is junk

Favorite Features

Ride quality is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Make this car at least as reliable as a American car. while it might be safe in a collision, it may als ocause one when it shuts down unexpectantly. There is a class action in CA over this issue. Volvo won't issue a recall since it will cost millions.