Used 2001 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Who ARE these people?
By Ron B

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Volvo S80 2.9 L (non turbo mind you). I have had TROUBLE FREE driving, people. I have replaced VERY LITTLE (sway bar link, tires, rotors, not much else). Yes it has a TIGHT suspension, Volvo did that ON PURPOSE! They totally changed their look from the ol' square box and kept the infamous 2.9 L but turned it on its side and made it FWD (felt no different than my previous 960 which was RWD). Love the car, now I go on Edmunds and see estimated rating of 8.0 of 10.0 but much negative press from some of the owners. For the people crying about interior quality, know that the more a car weighs the lower the MPG, so when I see I can get 28 MPG in the safest sedan on the road, I AM OK!!

Most of the car

Real hardwood sliced very thin like Chrysler 300M had

In one word: "Unreliable "
By michaeloo

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Unreliable and poor build quality describe this car. Always something going wrong on it. Consumes too much oil. Enough to catch you by surprise. 7500 miles intervals is not enough for a bi-turbo car. How could Volvo suggest such long intervals?? Torque steer in this class is simply unheard of. But the S80 has it by the loads. Don't buy this car. Stereo is poor. Cup holders are a joke.

Leather seats are ultra comfy. Nice driving position. Window controls are nice.

Not worth it. Too many things to fix. Simply a lousily designed car.

Too many expensive repairs
By Dil

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I've owned this volvo since Oct. 06 and it's been trouble since then. Sway bar links, turbocharger drain o-ring, breaks/rotors, 60K maintenance, and all the recalls on it. I'm still waiting from the dealership about changing the Catalytic Converter, which is thankfully covered by under 80k warranty, otherwise it would've been $1,500 to replace it. It's a very nice car, and I've read some positive reviews on it, but I'd never expected to encounter these many problems from it. I hope there's no more trouble to see on this car because I've already spent $3,100 on it fixing the above plus problems. This volvo didn't meet my expectation of a volvo vehicle that i've heard about in the past.

comfortable heated seats, 4-CD in-dash CD changer, smooth elegant ride.

too late for physical improvements since there's later models of the vehicle, however, an extended warranty on some of the most frequent malfunctioning parts of the vehicle is appreciated since it's costly to fix such things as Transmission, Turbocharger, Struts, Catalytic Converter, and few more.

Did great in a crash
By ed

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my 17 year old. It worked great, looked great and ran great until he was smashed hard from behind. The car absorbed the force incredibly. You can see from the damage how the design was made to absorb the forces and the head rests worked great in protecting the neck. he and his brother who was also in the car were not hurt, no whiplash or anything. The driver of the car that hit them was hurt the wreck was so bad.

serious transmission and electrical prob
By ron

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I would love this car if not for the steady stream of problems and very expensive repairs. I have bought 2 transmissions and had it in the shop for numerous electrical problems that they just can't fix. My dealer says they will no longer resell the s80 because they lose money on the warranty. I have owned volvos for almost 34 years and will never own one again. Volvo should do the right thing and warranty the transmission for 200,000 miles or more. Longevity, that was the volvo way. I expect to have to put a new transmission in it every year. Do yourself a favor. Don't take this vehicle, even if it is free. Much too unreliable. Two others I know that own one agree. A worthless dog of a car.

heated seats, comfortable seats, sporty design

change the transmission and take care of your loyal customers or you will loose them for good. Tell the truth about problems and make good on repairs. The volvos I use to own were reliable and ran forever. this one is in the shop more than I have it on the road. Shameful.