2001 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
A good quiet drive
By lisle on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

This is a very goog boulevard car that handles nicely in sudden braking and in snow. The version without the turbo is a tad slow off the line but is fine for passing in traffic. It is quiet and solid, has given me no mechanical problems. Like the other 3 Volvos I have owned, light bulbs burn out on a regular basis. Safety features abound and makes one feel comfortable with all the aggressive SUV's around

Volvo
By Mike BJ on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Volvo is a very good car. I had this car 2 years. It beats my 1991 Ford Explorer that lasted two years and my 1997 Linclon Town Car that lasted one year. It still doesnt beat my 1992 Acura that lasted from 1992-1997 and my wifes Honda Accord that lasted 1987- 1997. I would always recomend Volvo. The only problem is it had 3 electrical problems.

Best Volvo yet
By kenvolvo on 10/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Having owned Volvo's since 1972, finding the S80 to be so comfortable to drive demonstrated Volvo's continued improvement. Though the improvement from my 1990 760 was not as striking as I thought 10 years would bring. Could be because I loved that 760.

You call this a safe car???
By Lowie on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Volvo. I bought this car for safety and in both models I barely escaped injury due to malfuntions of the car. This car at 20000 miles died in the high speed lane on a major highway. I coasted across three lanes of traffic! A faulty air valve was suposedly to blame.Last winter my ABS went at 51,000..right after the warranty expired!! That was a $900 repair. I just spent $500 on a Mass air filter sensor. Bulb replacement has been constant.I am ready to dump this car. My next one will not be a VOLVO!

More than expected
By HuckFinn on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a safe and roomy vehicle. I have experience that and much more. I have had no mechanical or electrical issues. I have only had to take it in for it's check up every 7500 miles. It has been comfortable, reliable and more than I ever expected.

Solid and Staid
By jlgcpa on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Terrible radio. Cumbersome to use, reception is the worst I have ever had in 50 years of driving. Turning circle too wide. Service is expensive at dealer, I get apprehensive when the bill is prepared. I wish I could get those billing rates. Memory seat has amnesia or Alzheimers. Trip computer needs a timer.

first and last volvo
By first and last volvo on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I loved the bang for the buck on this vehicle. While not as luxurious as Mercedes C-Class it is larger and less expensive. A better value then the BWM 5 series and Audi A6 as well. I love driving the car when it is not in the shop! Fifty days and counting in the first 27 months of ownership!!! Let's see ... the seat & mirror memory goes crazy (6 visits and counting), the sunroof won't stay sealed (3 visits), the FM and AM reception is poor (2 visits), several headlamps have burned out, strut mounts, a few misc. items, and by the way engine pinging under a load is appairently "normal" even when using the recommended high octane fuel.

Is it the dealer or is it the car???
By Hokie in NC on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my S80 in 2001. The stereo leaves something to be desired. It drove great for the first 20K miles, but then the problems started. I have it in the shop AT LEAST once a month for repairs (mainly light bulbs). The scheduled maintenance is ridiculously expensive – almost $300 for an oil change!!! I have had a ton of problems with the Dealer in New Bern, North Carolina – ranging from rude treatment to incompetent repairs. To make matters worse, the car is starting to “loosen up.” At 45K miles, the car feels as old as my 200K mile Toyota I traded in for it! Don’t even think about this car unless you have extra money to burn!

OK but not good for $38000
By johnbull on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

51000mi replace rear shock not warr. sun roof raddles at 75mph to 80mph not warr door locks broke at 22000mi. This car has the worst AM radio reception I have ever had in a car with a factory installed radio, and the dealer will not fix it! Normal service is too expensive. Every 30000mi. it requires more than a Cadi does at 100000mi.

Pleased, but need excitement
By Jan on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Don't let the title fool you, I have had a very good experience with this car. It is a bit sluggish of the mark. Handles very well, a good sport tire is critical. Its styling is "old" for me. I also see many older women driving these cars. Not that there is anything wrong with older women, I prefer a more stylish car that is more aggressive. Improve the cup holders in the front seats.