Used 2001 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volvo S80

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Best value & fun to drive
By Mhamm334

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I must say this has been the best car I have ever owned. It has been well taken care of, when I purchased it had 57k miles, all service records are up to date. I am very impressed thus far. I would have to agree that visibility is lacking, but performance is great, and interior is greatly designed, there is lots of leg room in the back. Great for long trips to the beach.

Favorite Features

Performance, T6, interior, stereo system. Heated seats!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is not great, but it isn't terrible.

Glad it's gone!
By rose

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 1999 S80 that I loved. it was a dependable car had over 150K when I got rid of it. I bought a used 2001 S80 it had 70K on it. During ownership I experienced lots of problems-transmission, faulty air valves,sway bars, sensory issues, headlights burning out, suspension problems. I was thrilled when I finally sold the car. I had it almost two years, 22K miles and thousands of dollars later! I would not recommend a Volvo car.

Favorite Features

Seats that folded down

Suggested Improvements

Too many to mention

No Warranty - Run Away
By mwein

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Purchased this used, low mileage, previous owner kept it in great shape. Around 40k miles it started falling apart. Leaking coolant, bulbs burning out, electrical issues (sunroof/electronic locks would go out/come back for no reason), alternator blew, interval maintenance is expensive. It's been in the shop the last 2 weeks because it doesn't want to start, no error codes and no one can identify the issue. Huge turn radius, it handles like a pig when navigating drive thru windows. Thankfully we extended our warranty otherwise we would be broke!

Favorite Features

Safety, fun to drive, lots of style and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, turn radius

Excellent car
By Jonnie44

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have owned the car for 3 years now (purchased as a used car), and have had no problems. The car now has 150k miles on it with the original transmission, and it hasn't missed a beat. I have only had to have the DSTC unit replaced ($800.00) and the brake master cylinder ($550.00), and I was able to do both jobs myself (neither was very difficult). I get 27 mpg hwy and 22 around town. I liked the car so much, that I have just purchased another one. I did have a problem with the radio reception, but I was able to fix it with a Volvo TSB that involved adding a brass strip to the antenna module, and now it's crystal clear. Also have not seen any corrosion problems with any of these models.

Favorite Features

Safety!!! Speed. Very comfortable. Exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Different engineering for the turbo drain tubes (gaskets last about 2 yrs). better design for stabilizer links (also about every 2 yrs). Brake pads that are not as dusty! Better cupholders. Aux. input for audio system.

Wish I never bought this
By nikjer

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Light bulbs need changing monthly. Cup holder, rear ash tray, seat belts, 18 undercarriage bolts, and center console all have fallen off. Suspension had to be repaired twice. Now have a new message that the gear selector does not work. Noise from windshield is very high. Cannot get radio fixed, static is constant on am and fm. If I hit the lock button it will improve temporarily. Front leather seats are cracking badly although I have attempted to maintain them. Although car is paid for, I think a payment on a new one would be cheaper than keeping this one. We drive our 98 Dodge Ram with 160K miles on it if we go anywhere more than 50 miles from home. It is more reliable.

Favorite Features

Handles well at high speeds. I have had it up to 110 with no change in the feel of how it drove.

Suggested Improvements

Clean up the fit and finish, a car just shouldn't fall apart. I am a single woman, and was the only driver for the first 4 years that I had it, no kids, pets or guests and the car still won't stay in one piece.