Used 2001 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Wish I never bought this
By nikjer

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Light bulbs need changing monthly. Cup holder, rear ash tray, seat belts, 18 undercarriage bolts, and center console all have fallen off. Suspension had to be repaired twice. Now have a new message that the gear selector does not work. Noise from windshield is very high. Cannot get radio fixed, static is constant on am and fm. If I hit the lock button it will improve temporarily. Front leather seats are cracking badly although I have attempted to maintain them. Although car is paid for, I think a payment on a new one would be cheaper than keeping this one. We drive our 98 Dodge Ram with 160K miles on it if we go anywhere more than 50 miles from home. It is more reliable.

Favorite Features

Handles well at high speeds. I have had it up to 110 with no change in the feel of how it drove.

Suggested Improvements

Clean up the fit and finish, a car just shouldn't fall apart. I am a single woman, and was the only driver for the first 4 years that I had it, no kids, pets or guests and the car still won't stay in one piece.

I love it
By denys1

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for $7000 with 98000 miles and think it was a great deal for these money. It has about 18/25 mph, not too bad for 196hp engine. I used snow tires in winter and don't have any problem (I live in upstate NY and have enough snow). I had some problems with electronics, especial in winter. Throttle Body Control Module - was fixed, but THIS PART HAS 10 YEARS VOLVO's WARRANTY, I didn't spent any cent for repair that at volvo dealer. Actually, official dealership maintenance is little bit expensive, but I have near dealer which works only with Volvo cars long time. Same quality, but more cheap:). I spent about $1000 for three years, but I think it is normal for luxury car.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, space inside.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission could be better. Now 130K and it is rough.

Lovee it
By Kayla

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

So far I haven't had any problems with this car. The timing belt was replaced at 115,000 miles, but that's just typical maintenance. I'd heard that the maintenance was going to be extremely expensive. It is slightly more expensive but not that bad at all. It only gets about 18mpg though. Even when I'm at a long light or sitting in park with the car on for a long time, the engine runs very smoothly and extremely quietly. I expected the engine to be noisy because of the age of the car but it's one of the quietest engines I've ever heard. There is also very little road noise. Oh and a warning light is flashing warning me about a bulb failure, and from what I've read this happens pretty often.

Favorite Features

leather seats, the engine is very quiet, large back seat, wood accents on the interior, sound system, exterior design, confidence in safety, powerful engine :]

Suggested Improvements

I'd really like to get better mpg, but I know that it's a heavier car so that's not exactly possible. 18-20 really isn't that bad. the front of the car is rather long and wide so i worry when parking. not the tightest turning radius either. All of these are minor though, overall i love the car.

Excellent car
By Jonnie44

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have owned the car for 3 years now (purchased as a used car), and have had no problems. The car now has 150k miles on it with the original transmission, and it hasn't missed a beat. I have only had to have the DSTC unit replaced ($800.00) and the brake master cylinder ($550.00), and I was able to do both jobs myself (neither was very difficult). I get 27 mpg hwy and 22 around town. I liked the car so much, that I have just purchased another one. I did have a problem with the radio reception, but I was able to fix it with a Volvo TSB that involved adding a brass strip to the antenna module, and now it's crystal clear. Also have not seen any corrosion problems with any of these models.

Favorite Features

Safety!!! Speed. Very comfortable. Exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Different engineering for the turbo drain tubes (gaskets last about 2 yrs). better design for stabilizer links (also about every 2 yrs). Brake pads that are not as dusty! Better cupholders. Aux. input for audio system.

Volvo for Life.
By alansquier

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Let me first remind you that you get what you pay for. I bought my s80 with 150k. It now has 175k. I use synthetic oil and have it's services performed by a certified Volvo mechanic. Aside from common repairs (tie rods, tires, break pads), the most costly repair was an engine coil spring, which cost me $550. I purchased this car for three reasons; safety, comfort, and style. It has exceeded my expectations with reliability and performance as well. This is my second Volvo (my first being a 240dl). Guess what my next car is going to be.

Favorite Features

Seats, handling.

Suggested Improvements

None