2001 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Love the car, but it costs a lot
By MplsKen on 07/02/06 19:17 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I've had this car now for six years, and have loved it from the first day I drove it off the lot. It has been a good performer, but has not been trouble-free: - leak in the coolant reservoir * - radiator fan didn't work * - sway bar broken twice (* first time) - lots of position light bulbs burning out - oil leaking from the o-rings - dismal AM radio reception (never fixed) * = covered under warranty. I have also found the maintenance on this car to be painfully expensive. The doors also get dinged VERY easily. My old Honda never cost anywhere near this much, but I never loved it like I love my Volvo!

keep a waranty
By van w. on 05/11/06 17:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

extended warranty is a must. Volvo's 50k + mile warranty is all you need. Covered: replace both front wheel hubs- roaring noise $640 @77,339 miles; cooling fan bad @ 65,330; cooling fan replaced @ 73,118 miles-again. Got free loaner car-dealer is excellent. Love the car-best car ever owned in 40 years. Drives like a dream.

S80 suspension is not so great
By Paul on 01/18/06 06:42 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

The local dealer said they will not get any S80 until 2008 while Volvo does a complete redesign. I hope they improve the suspension to be on a par with the Infinity and Lexus. The S80 styling appeals more to me than these competitors but mine is simply awful when it comes to road bumps and manhole covers.

good, bad and ugly
By ronia1 on 09/28/05 12:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

i sometimes refer to my S80 as my $40,000 bucket o' bolts, but i was spoiled by my 94 960 sdn with 170000 trouble free miles. the S80 is gorgeous BUT: both struts noisy (mind you at 60K miles; that may be their life span), head seal leaking, sunroof noisy when opened because suspension is SO tight, windows squeak when going down (always on pass side, sometimes on driver side), and the finish put on plastic panels inside scratches...but I love Volvo!!!

Do Not Buy This Car
By mwdlaw on 07/10/05 22:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 3/05 with 69k miles. Three days later the transmission blew, needed a complete rebuild, then one month later upper & lower tie rod ends needed replacement. Then at a routine fuel stop the gas tank lid hinge broke. As if that was not enough 2 power door lock actuators went bad after that. Now the car is in the shop again after failing on 4th of July weekend. We we turning left at an intersection when the car died, alsomost got struck by onccomming cars! Also lost the power steering, I'm just glad I was driving and not my wife! After limping to the shop for repairs I was told the air mass meter & the throttle body needed to be replace for $1400. This car is junk

Its the small things
By merlin on 11/17/04 08:23 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it knowing it was a dealer loaner...that was the first mistake but the price was right. Replaced 6 bulbs of some type in the past two years. It currently has a headlight out to make #7. Replaced front suspension parts at 33K(under warranty. Sunroof has been fixed three times.Now a suspected broken motor mount as there is a thump in the steering at low speeds. Dealership replaced the air mass meter at 45K under warranty. This is all on a $40K automobile. I cannot blame the dealership as they have been great but what is it that the Japanese know how to do that the Europeans do not? After 20 years of driving Volvo's this may be my last!

Nice but Trouble
By Capecodman on 07/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I love everything about this car except the continuous maintenance problems so I am giving it back at the end of lease. In 36 months, I have had at least 12 problems including failed fuel pump; keyless lock system; heater; air conditioner; bulb outages; imploded sunroof (that was big!); engine idle problem; failed ball joints; failed rubber moldings on doors; cup holder falling off; Loose bracket in the undercarriage; etc. The design is good but the quality just isn't there and if not under warranty (after 50K) then it is time to move on.

LOVE IT!
By kristak107 on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I've owned my T6 for 2.5 years and loved every second of it! The comfort, style, and features are fantastic. Since I have two little boys, I really appreciate all the safety features. That being said, every car has a few annoying problems. My turn signal works only occasionally-I just stick my hand out the window and use my bike signals. The rubber trim under the pass. door refuses to stay put. The cup holders are less than great. Maintenience costs! On the plus side, I just discovered that the front passenger seat folds down. I can buy 8' lumber, slide it all the way to the front and close the trunk!

NOT SAFE AT ANY SPEED AFTER 4OK MILES
By Garden State Volvo on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

car literally started falling apart after 40K miles. Worst experience was electronic throttle die at 75 MPH, engin eshut down, leaving rocketing down the parkway without any STEERING. Beyond that, car required major egition, air pump/valve, and suspension repairs before 48K. Interior parts are cheap plastic that break regularly...replaced cup holders, air vents, radio face, and center console. Finally, rear visibility is horrible. Most of rear quarter panel and lights is totally blind....thank god I don't live near little children!!! Definetly not in the league with Lexus and Acura

Black Beauty
By the g is silent on 12/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

The S80 is a great car (especially in black), but is too much to maintain. The engine power seems underated because this car can really move even without the turbo. Interior is pleasing and ergonomic. Brakes stop on a dime. The premium wheels dent to easily, and accelerating around turns can cause front wheels to hop. Sensors short out in flashfloods, and warranty will not cover! Loved the car, but I am glad the lease is up.