2001 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Glad it's gone!
By rose on 09/21/08 19:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 1999 S80 that I loved. it was a dependable car had over 150K when I got rid of it. I bought a used 2001 S80 it had 70K on it. During ownership I experienced lots of problems-transmission, faulty air valves,sway bars, sensory issues, headlights burning out, suspension problems. I was thrilled when I finally sold the car. I had it almost two years, 22K miles and thousands of dollars later! I would not recommend a Volvo car.

No Warranty - Run Away
By mwein on 06/20/08 08:56 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Purchased this used, low mileage, previous owner kept it in great shape. Around 40k miles it started falling apart. Leaking coolant, bulbs burning out, electrical issues (sunroof/electronic locks would go out/come back for no reason), alternator blew, interval maintenance is expensive. It's been in the shop the last 2 weeks because it doesn't want to start, no error codes and no one can identify the issue. Huge turn radius, it handles like a pig when navigating drive thru windows. Thankfully we extended our warranty otherwise we would be broke!

Excellent car
By Jonnie44 on 11/07/07 15:17 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have owned the car for 3 years now (purchased as a used car), and have had no problems. The car now has 150k miles on it with the original transmission, and it hasn't missed a beat. I have only had to have the DSTC unit replaced ($800.00) and the brake master cylinder ($550.00), and I was able to do both jobs myself (neither was very difficult). I get 27 mpg hwy and 22 around town. I liked the car so much, that I have just purchased another one. I did have a problem with the radio reception, but I was able to fix it with a Volvo TSB that involved adding a brass strip to the antenna module, and now it's crystal clear. Also have not seen any corrosion problems with any of these models.

Wish I never bought this
By nikjer on 10/13/07 19:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Light bulbs need changing monthly. Cup holder, rear ash tray, seat belts, 18 undercarriage bolts, and center console all have fallen off. Suspension had to be repaired twice. Now have a new message that the gear selector does not work. Noise from windshield is very high. Cannot get radio fixed, static is constant on am and fm. If I hit the lock button it will improve temporarily. Front leather seats are cracking badly although I have attempted to maintain them. Although car is paid for, I think a payment on a new one would be cheaper than keeping this one. We drive our 98 Dodge Ram with 160K miles on it if we go anywhere more than 50 miles from home. It is more reliable.

Who ARE these people?
By Ron B on 03/10/07 11:06 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Volvo S80 2.9 L (non turbo mind you). I have had TROUBLE FREE driving, people. I have replaced VERY LITTLE (sway bar link, tires, rotors, not much else). Yes it has a TIGHT suspension, Volvo did that ON PURPOSE! They totally changed their look from the ol' square box and kept the infamous 2.9 L but turned it on its side and made it FWD (felt no different than my previous 960 which was RWD). Love the car, now I go on Edmunds and see estimated rating of 8.0 of 10.0 but much negative press from some of the owners. For the people crying about interior quality, know that the more a car weighs the lower the MPG, so when I see I can get 28 MPG in the safest sedan on the road, I AM OK!!

In one word: "Unreliable "
By michaeloo on 02/20/07 12:37 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Unreliable and poor build quality describe this car. Always something going wrong on it. Consumes too much oil. Enough to catch you by surprise. 7500 miles intervals is not enough for a bi-turbo car. How could Volvo suggest such long intervals?? Torque steer in this class is simply unheard of. But the S80 has it by the loads. Don't buy this car. Stereo is poor. Cup holders are a joke.

Too many expensive repairs
By Dil on 12/13/06 19:12 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I've owned this volvo since Oct. 06 and it's been trouble since then. Sway bar links, turbocharger drain o-ring, breaks/rotors, 60K maintenance, and all the recalls on it. I'm still waiting from the dealership about changing the Catalytic Converter, which is thankfully covered by under 80k warranty, otherwise it would've been $1,500 to replace it. It's a very nice car, and I've read some positive reviews on it, but I'd never expected to encounter these many problems from it. I hope there's no more trouble to see on this car because I've already spent $3,100 on it fixing the above plus problems. This volvo didn't meet my expectation of a volvo vehicle that i've heard about in the past.

Did great in a crash
By ed on 10/09/06 08:28 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my 17 year old. It worked great, looked great and ran great until he was smashed hard from behind. The car absorbed the force incredibly. You can see from the damage how the design was made to absorb the forces and the head rests worked great in protecting the neck. he and his brother who was also in the car were not hurt, no whiplash or anything. The driver of the car that hit them was hurt the wreck was so bad.

serious transmission and electrical prob
By ron on 10/07/06 17:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I would love this car if not for the steady stream of problems and very expensive repairs. I have bought 2 transmissions and had it in the shop for numerous electrical problems that they just can't fix. My dealer says they will no longer resell the s80 because they lose money on the warranty. I have owned volvos for almost 34 years and will never own one again. Volvo should do the right thing and warranty the transmission for 200,000 miles or more. Longevity, that was the volvo way. I expect to have to put a new transmission in it every year. Do yourself a favor. Don't take this vehicle, even if it is free. Much too unreliable. Two others I know that own one agree. A worthless dog of a car.

Fast with restricted visibility
By Jim on 08/15/06 09:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This car is a very well built veicle and is very comfortable on long trips. The ride is very smooth and with twin turbos, the accelerator can quickly and smoothly bring you to the attention of the traffic police without the driver realizing it. Tire noise is noticeable with the high performance radial tires. Standard sound system is very good with great sound quality.