Used 2001 Volvo S80 T6 Executive Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Nightmare
By Nightmare

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought it used in '04 and have regretted it ever since. I'm looking at Japanese cars to finally replace this clunker. I got it with 41K miles and 10K miles later I had to replace a number of things. The biggie was rebuilt transmission at 73K miles; since then it drives like a truck with it's 13 mpg. The night mirror chemical dissipated soon thereafter, and now the car lurches to the left whenever I brake. Volvo mechanics have been unable to solve this one.

Favorite Features

Use to be quiet with comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Too numerous to mention.

Need to Build Them Like They Used To!
By lisag

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Gone are the days when a Volvo lasted for 200,000 miles. I am on my third Volvo and can't say I would buy another one. The last one was a 1995 850 that I drove for 60,000 miles before the transmission went on it. I traded it for a 2001 S80, which I have loved, but now the transmission needs to replaced at 72,000 miles. $5,500 is a bit much to sink into a car with a blue book value slightly higher than that. These cars are great if you can afford to keep sinking money into them.

Favorite Features

Great looks, comfortable drive.

Suggested Improvements

Steering radius could be improved, longer warranties are needed to cover faulty transmissions.

Fast with restricted visibility
By Jim

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This car is a very well built veicle and is very comfortable on long trips. The ride is very smooth and with twin turbos, the accelerator can quickly and smoothly bring you to the attention of the traffic police without the driver realizing it. Tire noise is noticeable with the high performance radial tires. Standard sound system is very good with great sound quality.

Favorite Features

This car is a good choice for a full load of passengers as it has the power and comfort level for all passenges in front or back seats.

Suggested Improvements

The only drawback of this vehicle is the visibility. The rear view mirrors are tear-drop shaped a rather small in a manner which substantially reduces the visibility in side view mirrors. The rear of the vehicle is curved such that determining distance when backing is challenging.

rolling strength
By wayfire

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Picked up our S80 in Feb. What a Valentines Day present! Dealership was wonderful with everything. Just had a six hour road trip with no compliants. Plenty of trunk space. Controls were easy to find and use, great nav. system. You do have to read the manual to learn all offerings, but I drove it off the lot and could understand the basics. Acceleration is fantastic, both off the line and at highway speeds. Minimal noise from wind and road even considering Z-rated performance tires. Everyone says beautiful car...it's a VOLVO?! Safety is unmatched with any other car. Great confidence when driving with wife and 5 month old daughter.

Favorite Features

executive options, color coordinated trim-no black plastic, nav system

Suggested Improvements

all wheel drive