Used 2001 Volvo S80 T6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Hell Yeah!
By DavinK

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I recently purchased a used 2001 S80T6 and have been nothing but pleased with the car. My only complaints are that it could benefit from AWD and a 5 or 6 speed transmission. The manumatic transmission it has is still good and fun to use though. It has been well maintained and only accumulated an average of 9k miles per year. I previously owned a 98' S70 T5 and that car was enough for me to trust the reliability and quality that Volvo provides, the S70 has over 200k miles and still going! All it takes is following Volvo's regularly scheduled maintenance.

Favorite Features

Design, comfort, safety, stereo, performance, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

5 or 6 speed auto transmission, AWD.

Best value & fun to drive
By Mhamm334

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I must say this has been the best car I have ever owned. It has been well taken care of, when I purchased it had 57k miles, all service records are up to date. I am very impressed thus far. I would have to agree that visibility is lacking, but performance is great, and interior is greatly designed, there is lots of leg room in the back. Great for long trips to the beach.

Favorite Features

Performance, T6, interior, stereo system. Heated seats!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is not great, but it isn't terrible.

No Warranty - Run Away
By mwein

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Purchased this used, low mileage, previous owner kept it in great shape. Around 40k miles it started falling apart. Leaking coolant, bulbs burning out, electrical issues (sunroof/electronic locks would go out/come back for no reason), alternator blew, interval maintenance is expensive. It's been in the shop the last 2 weeks because it doesn't want to start, no error codes and no one can identify the issue. Huge turn radius, it handles like a pig when navigating drive thru windows. Thankfully we extended our warranty otherwise we would be broke!

Favorite Features

Safety, fun to drive, lots of style and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, turn radius

Excellent car
By Jonnie44

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have owned the car for 3 years now (purchased as a used car), and have had no problems. The car now has 150k miles on it with the original transmission, and it hasn't missed a beat. I have only had to have the DSTC unit replaced ($800.00) and the brake master cylinder ($550.00), and I was able to do both jobs myself (neither was very difficult). I get 27 mpg hwy and 22 around town. I liked the car so much, that I have just purchased another one. I did have a problem with the radio reception, but I was able to fix it with a Volvo TSB that involved adding a brass strip to the antenna module, and now it's crystal clear. Also have not seen any corrosion problems with any of these models.

Favorite Features

Safety!!! Speed. Very comfortable. Exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Different engineering for the turbo drain tubes (gaskets last about 2 yrs). better design for stabilizer links (also about every 2 yrs). Brake pads that are not as dusty! Better cupholders. Aux. input for audio system.

In one word: "Unreliable "
By michaeloo

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Unreliable and poor build quality describe this car. Always something going wrong on it. Consumes too much oil. Enough to catch you by surprise. 7500 miles intervals is not enough for a bi-turbo car. How could Volvo suggest such long intervals?? Torque steer in this class is simply unheard of. But the S80 has it by the loads. Don't buy this car. Stereo is poor. Cup holders are a joke.

Favorite Features

Leather seats are ultra comfy. Nice driving position. Window controls are nice.

Suggested Improvements

Not worth it. Too many things to fix. Simply a lousily designed car.