2001 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
250,000 miles and Still Going Strong
By xc6793 on 01/11/13 07:42 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased this as a second car from my dad (he put most of the miles on it during the last 12 years). Despite the age and miles, this car shows no signs of slowing down any time soon. Over the past 12 years, we've never had to do any major mechanical repairs other than replace the heater core. It amazes me how smooth this car drives, even at 80 mph. I'm 26 and my friends (who are also in their twenties) copliment this car! As referenced by many others, this car has the GM transmission which does concern me, but it's still original at 250,000 miles, so I guess it can't be that bad! Plan on keeping this car for as long as I can......

I love it
By denys1 on 09/28/11 10:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for $7000 with 98000 miles and think it was a great deal for these money. It has about 18/25 mph, not too bad for 196hp engine. I used snow tires in winter and don't have any problem (I live in upstate NY and have enough snow). I had some problems with electronics, especial in winter. Throttle Body Control Module - was fixed, but THIS PART HAS 10 YEARS VOLVO's WARRANTY, I didn't spent any cent for repair that at volvo dealer. Actually, official dealership maintenance is little bit expensive, but I have near dealer which works only with Volvo cars long time. Same quality, but more cheap:). I spent about $1000 for three years, but I think it is normal for luxury car.

This car is Bi-polar!!!
By IzaccBRL on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

From day one I realized that this was gonna be the car from hell!!! It looked GREAT on the outside, but there was always a WHOOOOLE lotta issues on the inside! It stayed in the shop more than I was able to drive it! I came to the conclusion that my car was a lemon until I talked to someone else who have the exact same car, & they were having the SAME exact issues that I was experiencing! Finally, the car died on a main street on my way home & I am now left carless, but atleast it lasted about 10 years! :-)

Very Dependable and Durable Car.
By Jay on 09/02/10 06:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I own a Volvo s80 2.9 and I already put in 161,000 miles on it and I don't have any troubles. and it depends on how you take good care of your car. I always use top quality brand, oils (Lubro Moly 5w- 30 synthetic), gasoline (91 and above Shell premium), Do regular maintainance such as oil changes and filters every 5,000 miles. Transmission oil and filter change every 35,000 miles. I regularly have my car wash.

Lovee it
By Kayla on 11/27/09 20:16 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

So far I haven't had any problems with this car. The timing belt was replaced at 115,000 miles, but that's just typical maintenance. I'd heard that the maintenance was going to be extremely expensive. It is slightly more expensive but not that bad at all. It only gets about 18mpg though. Even when I'm at a long light or sitting in park with the car on for a long time, the engine runs very smoothly and extremely quietly. I expected the engine to be noisy because of the age of the car but it's one of the quietest engines I've ever heard. There is also very little road noise. Oh and a warning light is flashing warning me about a bulb failure, and from what I've read this happens pretty often.

Great Drive, Bad Car
By KJHOG92 on 05/12/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car right after a transport company owned it for less than a year. Its great to drive, it's slow, but steering feels great, control is unbelievable. I've had this car up to 140 on the highway, was straight as an arrow, not even a vibration. I've taken this car on exit ramps at 80 mph. The car just grips the road. And it is so comfortable. I just love that aspect of the car. But the problem is the car isn't built right. The Sunroof has been replaced twice and doesn't work anymore, my front window barely work, everything is plastic and is just falling apart. New Tranny at 99,000 and the engine has an oil problem. And it sucks the fuel. If you have deep pockets than its good.

Glad it's gone!
By rose on 09/21/08 19:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 1999 S80 that I loved. it was a dependable car had over 150K when I got rid of it. I bought a used 2001 S80 it had 70K on it. During ownership I experienced lots of problems-transmission, faulty air valves,sway bars, sensory issues, headlights burning out, suspension problems. I was thrilled when I finally sold the car. I had it almost two years, 22K miles and thousands of dollars later! I would not recommend a Volvo car.

Wish I never bought this
By nikjer on 10/13/07 19:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Light bulbs need changing monthly. Cup holder, rear ash tray, seat belts, 18 undercarriage bolts, and center console all have fallen off. Suspension had to be repaired twice. Now have a new message that the gear selector does not work. Noise from windshield is very high. Cannot get radio fixed, static is constant on am and fm. If I hit the lock button it will improve temporarily. Front leather seats are cracking badly although I have attempted to maintain them. Although car is paid for, I think a payment on a new one would be cheaper than keeping this one. We drive our 98 Dodge Ram with 160K miles on it if we go anywhere more than 50 miles from home. It is more reliable.

Who ARE these people?
By Ron B on 03/10/07 11:06 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Volvo S80 2.9 L (non turbo mind you). I have had TROUBLE FREE driving, people. I have replaced VERY LITTLE (sway bar link, tires, rotors, not much else). Yes it has a TIGHT suspension, Volvo did that ON PURPOSE! They totally changed their look from the ol' square box and kept the infamous 2.9 L but turned it on its side and made it FWD (felt no different than my previous 960 which was RWD). Love the car, now I go on Edmunds and see estimated rating of 8.0 of 10.0 but much negative press from some of the owners. For the people crying about interior quality, know that the more a car weighs the lower the MPG, so when I see I can get 28 MPG in the safest sedan on the road, I AM OK!!

Did great in a crash
By ed on 10/09/06 08:28 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my 17 year old. It worked great, looked great and ran great until he was smashed hard from behind. The car absorbed the force incredibly. You can see from the damage how the design was made to absorb the forces and the head rests worked great in protecting the neck. he and his brother who was also in the car were not hurt, no whiplash or anything. The driver of the car that hit them was hurt the wreck was so bad.