Used 2001 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

only had etm problems
By the volvster

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Just like few other Volvo's around this year I owned the throttle body went. Easy but a little pricey to fix ....other than that great vehicle ..its has 211k miles and still running strong I'll never own anything other than a volvo

Worst car I've ever owned!
By Robert

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This car spent more time at the repair shop than on the road. I've never spent so much money in the course of 3 months trying to fix a car! This car was nothing but problems from 75,000 miles and up. Problems such as: faulty sensors,transmission problems, coolant hose, overheating, radiator, massive oil leaks and oil pressure problems, fuel pump and so on. I always dreamed of owning a volvo simply because they are great looking cars and are safe as well, but after owning an s80 i think i wont be owning one ever again. These cars are extremely oil thirsty and constantly need brakes and rotors. I feel very disappointed with Volvo. I feel so relieved now that i sold my volvo, I used to be scared to even drive the car because every time i would drive it i felt like it was going to leave me on the side of the road. Avoid Volvo at all costs! I've owned nissans all my life and every single one of them made it past the 200k mark without major probems, I'm exited to know that i will be going back with NISSAN.

Volvo You Rock
By Bishop

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I just purchased a s80 2001 with 152,000 miles on it. This was the best buy of my life being a pre-owed car. Thanks Volvo

Volvo for Life.
By alansquier

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Let me first remind you that you get what you pay for. I bought my s80 with 150k. It now has 175k. I use synthetic oil and have it's services performed by a certified Volvo mechanic. Aside from common repairs (tie rods, tires, break pads), the most costly repair was an engine coil spring, which cost me $550. I purchased this car for three reasons; safety, comfort, and style. It has exceeded my expectations with reliability and performance as well. This is my second Volvo (my first being a 240dl). Guess what my next car is going to be.

Seats, handling.

None

250,000 miles and Still Going Strong
By xc6793

2001 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased this as a second car from my dad (he put most of the miles on it during the last 12 years). Despite the age and miles, this car shows no signs of slowing down any time soon. Over the past 12 years, we've never had to do any major mechanical repairs other than replace the heater core. It amazes me how smooth this car drives, even at 80 mph. I'm 26 and my friends (who are also in their twenties) copliment this car!

As referenced by many others, this car has the GM transmission which does concern me, but it's still original at 250,000 miles, so I guess it can't be that bad!

Plan on keeping this car for as long as I can......