2001 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Hell Yeah!
By DavinK on 03/11/10 11:16 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I recently purchased a used 2001 S80T6 and have been nothing but pleased with the car. My only complaints are that it could benefit from AWD and a 5 or 6 speed transmission. The manumatic transmission it has is still good and fun to use though. It has been well maintained and only accumulated an average of 9k miles per year. I previously owned a 98' S70 T5 and that car was enough for me to trust the reliability and quality that Volvo provides, the S70 has over 200k miles and still going! All it takes is following Volvo's regularly scheduled maintenance.

Best value & fun to drive
By Mhamm334 on 01/23/09 09:36 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I must say this has been the best car I have ever owned. It has been well taken care of, when I purchased it had 57k miles, all service records are up to date. I am very impressed thus far. I would have to agree that visibility is lacking, but performance is great, and interior is greatly designed, there is lots of leg room in the back. Great for long trips to the beach.

No Warranty - Run Away
By mwein on 06/20/08 08:56 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Purchased this used, low mileage, previous owner kept it in great shape. Around 40k miles it started falling apart. Leaking coolant, bulbs burning out, electrical issues (sunroof/electronic locks would go out/come back for no reason), alternator blew, interval maintenance is expensive. It's been in the shop the last 2 weeks because it doesn't want to start, no error codes and no one can identify the issue. Huge turn radius, it handles like a pig when navigating drive thru windows. Thankfully we extended our warranty otherwise we would be broke!

Excellent car
By Jonnie44 on 11/07/07 15:17 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have owned the car for 3 years now (purchased as a used car), and have had no problems. The car now has 150k miles on it with the original transmission, and it hasn't missed a beat. I have only had to have the DSTC unit replaced ($800.00) and the brake master cylinder ($550.00), and I was able to do both jobs myself (neither was very difficult). I get 27 mpg hwy and 22 around town. I liked the car so much, that I have just purchased another one. I did have a problem with the radio reception, but I was able to fix it with a Volvo TSB that involved adding a brass strip to the antenna module, and now it's crystal clear. Also have not seen any corrosion problems with any of these models.

In one word: "Unreliable "
By michaeloo on 02/20/07 12:37 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Unreliable and poor build quality describe this car. Always something going wrong on it. Consumes too much oil. Enough to catch you by surprise. 7500 miles intervals is not enough for a bi-turbo car. How could Volvo suggest such long intervals?? Torque steer in this class is simply unheard of. But the S80 has it by the loads. Don't buy this car. Stereo is poor. Cup holders are a joke.

Too many expensive repairs
By Dil on 12/13/06 19:12 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I've owned this volvo since Oct. 06 and it's been trouble since then. Sway bar links, turbocharger drain o-ring, breaks/rotors, 60K maintenance, and all the recalls on it. I'm still waiting from the dealership about changing the Catalytic Converter, which is thankfully covered by under 80k warranty, otherwise it would've been $1,500 to replace it. It's a very nice car, and I've read some positive reviews on it, but I'd never expected to encounter these many problems from it. I hope there's no more trouble to see on this car because I've already spent $3,100 on it fixing the above plus problems. This volvo didn't meet my expectation of a volvo vehicle that i've heard about in the past.

serious transmission and electrical prob
By ron on 10/07/06 17:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I would love this car if not for the steady stream of problems and very expensive repairs. I have bought 2 transmissions and had it in the shop for numerous electrical problems that they just can't fix. My dealer says they will no longer resell the s80 because they lose money on the warranty. I have owned volvos for almost 34 years and will never own one again. Volvo should do the right thing and warranty the transmission for 200,000 miles or more. Longevity, that was the volvo way. I expect to have to put a new transmission in it every year. Do yourself a favor. Don't take this vehicle, even if it is free. Much too unreliable. Two others I know that own one agree. A worthless dog of a car.

Love the car, but it costs a lot
By MplsKen on 07/02/06 19:17 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I've had this car now for six years, and have loved it from the first day I drove it off the lot. It has been a good performer, but has not been trouble-free: - leak in the coolant reservoir * - radiator fan didn't work * - sway bar broken twice (* first time) - lots of position light bulbs burning out - oil leaking from the o-rings - dismal AM radio reception (never fixed) * = covered under warranty. I have also found the maintenance on this car to be painfully expensive. The doors also get dinged VERY easily. My old Honda never cost anywhere near this much, but I never loved it like I love my Volvo!

LOVE IT!
By kristak107 on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I've owned my T6 for 2.5 years and loved every second of it! The comfort, style, and features are fantastic. Since I have two little boys, I really appreciate all the safety features. That being said, every car has a few annoying problems. My turn signal works only occasionally-I just stick my hand out the window and use my bike signals. The rubber trim under the pass. door refuses to stay put. The cup holders are less than great. Maintenience costs! On the plus side, I just discovered that the front passenger seat folds down. I can buy 8' lumber, slide it all the way to the front and close the trunk!

Volvo
By Mike BJ on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Volvo is a very good car. I had this car 2 years. It beats my 1991 Ford Explorer that lasted two years and my 1997 Linclon Town Car that lasted one year. It still doesnt beat my 1992 Acura that lasted from 1992-1997 and my wifes Honda Accord that lasted 1987- 1997. I would always recomend Volvo. The only problem is it had 3 electrical problems.