Used 2001 Volvo S80 T6 Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Worst car I've ever owned!
By Robert

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This car spent more time at the repair shop than on the road. I've never spent so much money in the course of 3 months trying to fix a car! This car was nothing but problems from 75,000 miles and up. Problems such as: faulty sensors,transmission problems, coolant hose, overheating, radiator, massive oil leaks and oil pressure problems, fuel pump and so on. I always dreamed of owning a volvo simply because they are great looking cars and are safe as well, but after owning an s80 i think i wont be owning one ever again. These cars are extremely oil thirsty and constantly need brakes and rotors. I feel very disappointed with Volvo. I feel so relieved now that i sold my volvo, I used to be scared to even drive the car because every time i would drive it i felt like it was going to leave me on the side of the road. Avoid Volvo at all costs! I've owned nissans all my life and every single one of them made it past the 200k mark without major probems, I'm exited to know that i will be going back with NISSAN.

Hell Yeah!
By DavinK

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I recently purchased a used 2001 S80T6 and have been nothing but pleased with the car. My only complaints are that it could benefit from AWD and a 5 or 6 speed transmission. The manumatic transmission it has is still good and fun to use though. It has been well maintained and only accumulated an average of 9k miles per year. I previously owned a 98' S70 T5 and that car was enough for me to trust the reliability and quality that Volvo provides, the S70 has over 200k miles and still going! All it takes is following Volvo's regularly scheduled maintenance.

Design, comfort, safety, stereo, performance, reliability.

5 or 6 speed auto transmission, AWD.

Best value & fun to drive
By Mhamm334

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I must say this has been the best car I have ever owned. It has been well taken care of, when I purchased it had 57k miles, all service records are up to date. I am very impressed thus far. I would have to agree that visibility is lacking, but performance is great, and interior is greatly designed, there is lots of leg room in the back. Great for long trips to the beach.

Performance, T6, interior, stereo system. Heated seats!

Gas mileage is not great, but it isn't terrible.

No Warranty - Run Away
By mwein

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Purchased this used, low mileage, previous owner kept it in great shape. Around 40k miles it started falling apart. Leaking coolant, bulbs burning out, electrical issues (sunroof/electronic locks would go out/come back for no reason), alternator blew, interval maintenance is expensive. It's been in the shop the last 2 weeks because it doesn't want to start, no error codes and no one can identify the issue. Huge turn radius, it handles like a pig when navigating drive thru windows. Thankfully we extended our warranty otherwise we would be broke!

Safety, fun to drive, lots of style and comfort.

Reliability, turn radius

Excellent car
By Jonnie44

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I have owned the car for 3 years now (purchased as a used car), and have had no problems. The car now has 150k miles on it with the original transmission, and it hasn't missed a beat. I have only had to have the DSTC unit replaced ($800.00) and the brake master cylinder ($550.00), and I was able to do both jobs myself (neither was very difficult). I get 27 mpg hwy and 22 around town. I liked the car so much, that I have just purchased another one. I did have a problem with the radio reception, but I was able to fix it with a Volvo TSB that involved adding a brass strip to the antenna module, and now it's crystal clear. Also have not seen any corrosion problems with any of these models.

Safety!!! Speed. Very comfortable. Exterior styling.

Different engineering for the turbo drain tubes (gaskets last about 2 yrs). better design for stabilizer links (also about every 2 yrs). Brake pads that are not as dusty! Better cupholders. Aux. input for audio system.