2001 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews

2001 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Volvo for Life.
By alansquier on 02/25/15 19:43 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Let me first remind you that you get what you pay for. I bought my s80 with 150k. It now has 175k. I use synthetic oil and have it's services performed by a certified Volvo mechanic. Aside from common repairs (tie rods, tires, break pads), the most costly repair was an engine coil spring, which cost me $550. I purchased this car for three reasons; safety, comfort, and style. It has exceeded my expectations with reliability and performance as well. This is my second Volvo (my first being a 240dl). Guess what my next car is going to be.

250,000 miles and Still Going Strong
By xc6793 on 01/11/13 07:42 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased this as a second car from my dad (he put most of the miles on it during the last 12 years). Despite the age and miles, this car shows no signs of slowing down any time soon. Over the past 12 years, we've never had to do any major mechanical repairs other than replace the heater core. It amazes me how smooth this car drives, even at 80 mph. I'm 26 and my friends (who are also in their twenties) copliment this car! As referenced by many others, this car has the GM transmission which does concern me, but it's still original at 250,000 miles, so I guess it can't be that bad! Plan on keeping this car for as long as I can......

I love it
By denys1 on 09/28/11 10:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for $7000 with 98000 miles and think it was a great deal for these money. It has about 18/25 mph, not too bad for 196hp engine. I used snow tires in winter and don't have any problem (I live in upstate NY and have enough snow). I had some problems with electronics, especial in winter. Throttle Body Control Module - was fixed, but THIS PART HAS 10 YEARS VOLVO's WARRANTY, I didn't spent any cent for repair that at volvo dealer. Actually, official dealership maintenance is little bit expensive, but I have near dealer which works only with Volvo cars long time. Same quality, but more cheap:). I spent about $1000 for three years, but I think it is normal for luxury car.

This car is Bi-polar!!!
By IzaccBRL on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

From day one I realized that this was gonna be the car from hell!!! It looked GREAT on the outside, but there was always a WHOOOOLE lotta issues on the inside! It stayed in the shop more than I was able to drive it! I came to the conclusion that my car was a lemon until I talked to someone else who have the exact same car, & they were having the SAME exact issues that I was experiencing! Finally, the car died on a main street on my way home & I am now left carless, but atleast it lasted about 10 years! :-)

Very Dependable and Durable Car.
By Jay on 09/02/10 06:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I own a Volvo s80 2.9 and I already put in 161,000 miles on it and I don't have any troubles. and it depends on how you take good care of your car. I always use top quality brand, oils (Lubro Moly 5w- 30 synthetic), gasoline (91 and above Shell premium), Do regular maintainance such as oil changes and filters every 5,000 miles. Transmission oil and filter change every 35,000 miles. I regularly have my car wash.

Hell Yeah!
By DavinK on 03/11/10 11:16 AM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I recently purchased a used 2001 S80T6 and have been nothing but pleased with the car. My only complaints are that it could benefit from AWD and a 5 or 6 speed transmission. The manumatic transmission it has is still good and fun to use though. It has been well maintained and only accumulated an average of 9k miles per year. I previously owned a 98' S70 T5 and that car was enough for me to trust the reliability and quality that Volvo provides, the S70 has over 200k miles and still going! All it takes is following Volvo's regularly scheduled maintenance.

Lovee it
By Kayla on 11/27/09 20:16 PM (PST)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

So far I haven't had any problems with this car. The timing belt was replaced at 115,000 miles, but that's just typical maintenance. I'd heard that the maintenance was going to be extremely expensive. It is slightly more expensive but not that bad at all. It only gets about 18mpg though. Even when I'm at a long light or sitting in park with the car on for a long time, the engine runs very smoothly and extremely quietly. I expected the engine to be noisy because of the age of the car but it's one of the quietest engines I've ever heard. There is also very little road noise. Oh and a warning light is flashing warning me about a bulb failure, and from what I've read this happens pretty often.

Nightmare
By Nightmare on 06/08/09 18:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought it used in '04 and have regretted it ever since. I'm looking at Japanese cars to finally replace this clunker. I got it with 41K miles and 10K miles later I had to replace a number of things. The biggie was rebuilt transmission at 73K miles; since then it drives like a truck with it's 13 mpg. The night mirror chemical dissipated soon thereafter, and now the car lurches to the left whenever I brake. Volvo mechanics have been unable to solve this one.

Great Drive, Bad Car
By KJHOG92 on 05/12/09 20:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car right after a transport company owned it for less than a year. Its great to drive, it's slow, but steering feels great, control is unbelievable. I've had this car up to 140 on the highway, was straight as an arrow, not even a vibration. I've taken this car on exit ramps at 80 mph. The car just grips the road. And it is so comfortable. I just love that aspect of the car. But the problem is the car isn't built right. The Sunroof has been replaced twice and doesn't work anymore, my front window barely work, everything is plastic and is just falling apart. New Tranny at 99,000 and the engine has an oil problem. And it sucks the fuel. If you have deep pockets than its good.

Need to Build Them Like They Used To!
By lisag on 05/04/09 12:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Volvo S80 T6 Executive 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Gone are the days when a Volvo lasted for 200,000 miles. I am on my third Volvo and can't say I would buy another one. The last one was a 1995 850 that I drove for 60,000 miles before the transmission went on it. I traded it for a 2001 S80, which I have loved, but now the transmission needs to replaced at 72,000 miles. $5,500 is a bit much to sink into a car with a blue book value slightly higher than that. These cars are great if you can afford to keep sinking money into them.

1 2 3 4 5 next »