Used 2001 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Volvo for Life.
By alansquier

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Let me first remind you that you get what you pay for. I bought my s80 with 150k. It now has 175k. I use synthetic oil and have it's services performed by a certified Volvo mechanic. Aside from common repairs (tie rods, tires, break pads), the most costly repair was an engine coil spring, which cost me $550. I purchased this car for three reasons; safety, comfort, and style. It has exceeded my expectations with reliability and performance as well. This is my second Volvo (my first being a 240dl). Guess what my next car is going to be.

Favorite Features

Seats, handling.

Suggested Improvements

None

250,000 miles and Still Going Strong
By xc6793

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased this as a second car from my dad (he put most of the miles on it during the last 12 years). Despite the age and miles, this car shows no signs of slowing down any time soon. Over the past 12 years, we've never had to do any major mechanical repairs other than replace the heater core. It amazes me how smooth this car drives, even at 80 mph. I'm 26 and my friends (who are also in their twenties) copliment this car! As referenced by many others, this car has the GM transmission which does concern me, but it's still original at 250,000 miles, so I guess it can't be that bad! Plan on keeping this car for as long as I can......

I love it
By denys1

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for $7000 with 98000 miles and think it was a great deal for these money. It has about 18/25 mph, not too bad for 196hp engine. I used snow tires in winter and don't have any problem (I live in upstate NY and have enough snow). I had some problems with electronics, especial in winter. Throttle Body Control Module - was fixed, but THIS PART HAS 10 YEARS VOLVO's WARRANTY, I didn't spent any cent for repair that at volvo dealer. Actually, official dealership maintenance is little bit expensive, but I have near dealer which works only with Volvo cars long time. Same quality, but more cheap:). I spent about $1000 for three years, but I think it is normal for luxury car.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, space inside.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission could be better. Now 130K and it is rough.

This car is Bi-polar!!!
By IzaccBRL

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

From day one I realized that this was gonna be the car from hell!!! It looked GREAT on the outside, but there was always a WHOOOOLE lotta issues on the inside! It stayed in the shop more than I was able to drive it! I came to the conclusion that my car was a lemon until I talked to someone else who have the exact same car, & they were having the SAME exact issues that I was experiencing! Finally, the car died on a main street on my way home & I am now left carless, but atleast it lasted about 10 years! :-)

Favorite Features

The engine was powerful & the handling was great! It also had great appeal & it looked GREAT!

Suggested Improvements

FIX ALLLL issues! There r faaaaaaaaar too many to mention!!1

Very Dependable and Durable Car.
By Jay

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I own a Volvo s80 2.9 and I already put in 161,000 miles on it and I don't have any troubles. and it depends on how you take good care of your car. I always use top quality brand, oils (Lubro Moly 5w- 30 synthetic), gasoline (91 and above Shell premium), Do regular maintainance such as oil changes and filters every 5,000 miles. Transmission oil and filter change every 35,000 miles. I regularly have my car wash.

Favorite Features

Suspension, Engine, Everything....

Suggested Improvements

none..