2000 Volvo S80 2.9 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volvo S80 - Consumer Reviews

2000 S80 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Sort Reviews by

Watch out: poor electrical system design
By craigs

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Used, 1 prev owner. Within 4 months, had the following electrical systems fail at separate times; I had second opinion for repairs: Air cond. control unit failure Antilock brake system unit failure STS (traction control) unit failure Exhaust system - faulure Intermittent light failure Transmission control unit -- failure When the STS and ABS control units fail, they cause the transmission control unit to fail. Spoke with other S80 customers who had similar experiences. 1999-2002 models are known for having faulty / poorly design electrical systems. Summary Make sure your warranty covers ELECTRICAL AND has rental car coverage. You'll need it.

Favorite Features

N/A

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the electrical system

Ahhh Volvo
By Bizcocxito

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

You really can't argue with one of the safest and most stylish cars on the road. The mass (esp. in comparison to my previous car - petite lil' Toyota Corolla) takes some getting used to, but every safe and reliable minute in the S80 has been fabulous.

Favorite Features

Security, security, security - in every sense of the word; from the steel frame to the remote. Volvo earns its kudos for being safe.

Suggested Improvements

Getting used to all the buttons and gadgets is tricky. Is there such a thing as sensors that are too sensitive? If you can get past the quirks of the owners manual, it's all worth it.

Pleasure to drive
By Phytophile

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

At first I was a little disappointed that my S80 2.9 did not feel as sporty or precise in driving as I had expected, but I discovered that tire pressure is very important. The tires were somewhat underinflated. Inflating to the suggested pressure transformed the feel of the car into all I had hoped!

Great car
By JPS80T6

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for several thousand miles now, and continue to be pleased by it. The ride is wonderful, and the performance is just as impressive. Definitely take a look at this car.

Favorite Features

Neck-jecking turbo

Suggested Improvements

stiffer suspension, but I like stiff cars

Ignore the Complainer's, it's Great!!!
By Dan_Carlson

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

It's true what they say, only the one's with problems are the ones who speak up! I purchased my 2000 S80 shortly after an associate of mine bought his. I now have about 87,000 miles on mine and not an ounce of trouble. A recall was preformed at no charge and Volvo did the free software upgrade. After reading some of these reviews, I contacted my associate to ask him about his. He remembers one repair under warranty but believes it might have just been a recall. Overall, he said the reliability has been superb! He owns the 2.9 and mine is a T6. Compared to my previous BMW's, this car has been absolutely wonderful! I recommend this car to anyone!

Favorite Features

The twin turbo's are just fantastic! Best seats in any car! Great looks and a very reliable vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

No complaints what-so-ever!

Still a very nice automobile
By Eric's Volvo

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I truly enjoy driving my 2000 S80. I recently purchased the car used with 34K miles. I drive between 70 and 100 miles a day and the S80 makes my commutes a pleasure. I love the way the car looks, interior is incredible, and the stereo, it's like being in a concert hall. The seats are superb. I feel very safe and confortable driving the car. The gas mileage has been very good as well, averaging around 25 MPG.

Favorite Features

The seats are great. The stereo is awesome. The interior features are first rate. I'm very happy with the safety and quality of the S80.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem I've had so far is one license plate light is loose. Otherwise, everything works great. From reading the other reviews, it's apparent that Volvo quality and reliabilty has become "hit or miss". Seems my S80 is a "hit".

Last Volvo for Me
By readytotrade

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Many, many problems with this car. Fan,throttle,suspension,electronics,oil leaks,cd player,emission control system,squeaks & rattles. Overall very poor quality. Fortunately I bought extended warranty--has returned money threefold.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Either improve quality or significantly reduce price

Great
By zoramz

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I enjoy the ride in this vehicle. It drives smoothly, you hardly know you are in a car, it handles very nicely. I also like the style, I bought it because of it's looks, also because I feel it is a safe car for family and friends.

Favorite Features

I enjoy the smooth driving preformance.It also looks very beautiful on the road, as I see others driving it. That's what caught my eye!

Suggested Improvements

I haven't had it long enough, to find that it needs any imrovements

Emissions Frustration-S80 T-6
By WoodyTBuckeye

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought vehicle with 27k-extended warranty. Approx 53k miles, started having emissions messages ie "system urgent" and hazard light and the engine went into a "idle" mode. Replaced throttle control mechanism, software upgrade,and other related emission parts. After spending close to $900 on the throttle, 3 days later, replaced 1 of the 2 back O2 sensors.($363) One week later, the other back O2 went- $256. I understand under the new warranty, this is a covered item. I am probably getting rid of the car though I love driving it. Total spent=$2k. I will probably buy a new one but will read the fine print on the warranty. PW

Favorite Features

I like having many features at my finger tips-radio features especially. THe Turbo has "lots of guts". The color is excellant also-moondust. Very roomy trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Too much noise around the moonroof area. Needs better quality leather on the seats. I read how expensive it is to replace the bumpers if the Volvo was in a 5 mph crash performed by the insurance industry-WOW !!!

Fabulous Car, When It Is Working
By Sportscarnut

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Exceptional performance/style for the $. Nothing else competes with it in this price range. Unfortunately, it has HORRIBLE reliability. In 18 months the following was replaced: motor mount, ABS control unit, turn signal switch, brake rotors, oxygen sensor, mass flow sensor, door trim, upper strut mount (2 times), oil return line, strut assembly, ignition switch. Parts failed about every 2 months, and the parts always had to be special ordered. I was fortunate that it was under warranty. Be very careful about buying one used.

Favorite Features

Accelleration, excellent seats for tall drivers, handling (for such a big car), interior space/comfort, decent gas mileage, nice looking (once you get used to it).

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY IS AWFUL, some interior trim looks/feels cheap (faux wood), black exterior trim fades (corrected in 2002 and later models).