2000 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews 8

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Watch out: poor electrical system design
By craigs on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Used, 1 prev owner. Within 4 months, had the following electrical systems fail at separate times; I had second opinion for repairs: Air cond. control unit failure Antilock brake system unit failure STS (traction control) unit failure Exhaust system - faulure Intermittent light failure Transmission control unit -- failure When the STS and ABS control units fail, they cause the transmission control unit to fail. Spoke with other S80 customers who had similar experiences. 1999-2002 models are known for having faulty / poorly design electrical systems. Summary Make sure your warranty covers ELECTRICAL AND has rental car coverage. You'll need it.

Ahhh Volvo
By Bizcocxito on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

You really can't argue with one of the safest and most stylish cars on the road. The mass (esp. in comparison to my previous car - petite lil' Toyota Corolla) takes some getting used to, but every safe and reliable minute in the S80 has been fabulous.

Pleasure to drive
By Phytophile on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

At first I was a little disappointed that my S80 2.9 did not feel as sporty or precise in driving as I had expected, but I discovered that tire pressure is very important. The tires were somewhat underinflated. Inflating to the suggested pressure transformed the feel of the car into all I had hoped!

Great car
By JPS80T6 on 02/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for several thousand miles now, and continue to be pleased by it. The ride is wonderful, and the performance is just as impressive. Definitely take a look at this car.

Ignore the Complainer's, it's Great!!!
By Dan_Carlson on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

It's true what they say, only the one's with problems are the ones who speak up! I purchased my 2000 S80 shortly after an associate of mine bought his. I now have about 87,000 miles on mine and not an ounce of trouble. A recall was preformed at no charge and Volvo did the free software upgrade. After reading some of these reviews, I contacted my associate to ask him about his. He remembers one repair under warranty but believes it might have just been a recall. Overall, he said the reliability has been superb! He owns the 2.9 and mine is a T6. Compared to my previous BMW's, this car has been absolutely wonderful! I recommend this car to anyone!

Still a very nice automobile
By Eric's Volvo on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I truly enjoy driving my 2000 S80. I recently purchased the car used with 34K miles. I drive between 70 and 100 miles a day and the S80 makes my commutes a pleasure. I love the way the car looks, interior is incredible, and the stereo, it's like being in a concert hall. The seats are superb. I feel very safe and confortable driving the car. The gas mileage has been very good as well, averaging around 25 MPG.

Last Volvo for Me
By readytotrade on 01/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Many, many problems with this car. Fan,throttle,suspension,electronics,oil leaks,cd player,emission control system,squeaks & rattles. Overall very poor quality. Fortunately I bought extended warranty--has returned money threefold.

Great
By zoramz on 01/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I enjoy the ride in this vehicle. It drives smoothly, you hardly know you are in a car, it handles very nicely. I also like the style, I bought it because of it's looks, also because I feel it is a safe car for family and friends.

Emissions Frustration-S80 T-6
By WoodyTBuckeye on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought vehicle with 27k-extended warranty. Approx 53k miles, started having emissions messages ie "system urgent" and hazard light and the engine went into a "idle" mode. Replaced throttle control mechanism, software upgrade,and other related emission parts. After spending close to $900 on the throttle, 3 days later, replaced 1 of the 2 back O2 sensors.($363) One week later, the other back O2 went- $256. I understand under the new warranty, this is a covered item. I am probably getting rid of the car though I love driving it. Total spent=$2k. I will probably buy a new one but will read the fine print on the warranty. PW

Fabulous Car, When It Is Working
By Sportscarnut on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Exceptional performance/style for the $. Nothing else competes with it in this price range. Unfortunately, it has HORRIBLE reliability. In 18 months the following was replaced: motor mount, ABS control unit, turn signal switch, brake rotors, oxygen sensor, mass flow sensor, door trim, upper strut mount (2 times), oil return line, strut assembly, ignition switch. Parts failed about every 2 months, and the parts always had to be special ordered. I was fortunate that it was under warranty. Be very careful about buying one used.