2000 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews 7

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
My Volvo's affair with my mechanic
By Vicki Laidlaw on 01/27/05 17:54 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

After putting more than 275000 miles on my '92 Pontiac Bonneville (with no need for engine work - just liked to have brakes and tires), I decided it was time to retire the old workhorse and buy a little luxury. I bought my Volvo S80 at a used car dealership, where I noticed that the warning light for the airbag was on. The dealer said the Volvo mechanics could reset that sensor - apparently not! Turns out that Volvo put the airbag SENSOR under the driver's seat carpet. The used car dealer STEAMED that carpet, thus ruining a $1000 sensor. My car's now in the shop for the second time in three months. Volvo engineers ought to be taken out and shot for what they've done to this car!

Smooth Ride/ Front End Electric Problems
By Dvoice on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Car Drives exceptional, only had car less than 30 days, purchased used, taken in for repair at least 5 times; for light bulb outage, faulty alarm, gas tank door; CV joints, bolts on front suspension, wind shield wipers; best advise, purchase extended warranty! Volvos are great safe cars but the 2000 S80 has many electric and front end problems, in addition to console and sun roof rattling, also Poor AM reception, but overall sound system is superb!I would purchase another Volvo but not without a warranty

S80 T6 after four years: Still happy
By jarchdeacon on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Our 2000 S80 T6 has over 70,000 miles and still feels and drives like a new car. I'm very pleased with this car. Note that I did purchase the extended warranty (up to 100K miles) from Volvo which turned out to be a good idea (it has paid for itself). After the 50,000 mile warranty expired, I've had to replace some DSTC parts, NAV system parts, and so on) all of which were adequately covered by the Volvo VIP plan. I will consider another S80 purchase in the future.

Fun in the Kansas sun!
By Mahlon McCaleb on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Aside from the fact that Volvo has created vehicles that can be serviced primarily only at the dealer (where nothing is inexpensive), this is an awesome car. Combination city/hwy economy is 24mpg. She handles excellent in wet or dry conditions and it is by far the most comfortable car I have ever driven! I'd stay away from the T-6, but the 2.9L is exceptional.

Would I do it again?
By Psycho on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Yes, if it were a newer model S80. The 1999 & to a lesser extent 2000 model were plagued with electrical problems. Since I bought mine, the steering rack, gas tank door stop, rt headlamp assy, computer software, various light bulbs, electronic throatle body assy, body rattles, & other stuff too numerous to remember have been diagnosed as defective. Volvo of Nashville declined to honor the factory warranty, & gave poor service. Volvo of Cinncinatti was great! You can't gas up w/o removing the key or the computer goes wacky. Too many quirks. Quality greatly improved after Ford took over and poured $$ into Volvo. S60 is bullet proof per several servie

Not a fan
By Geir81 on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought 1yr ago in Tewksbury Ma (Americar)-for $3000 more than they advertised it (web). I put 10k miles on the car in 1 yr. w/n 1 week-check engine&service lights on. Americar turned off.The lights returned after 5 days. Americar was not capable of fixing. It was above them (they admitted). Front/rear stabilizers had to b replacd w/n 1st month, needed replacing 8 mo. later. Steering grinded. Control module 4 steering wheel (radio-wipers-BLINKERS- HEADLIGHTS)shutdown. Going down steep hill-noises like car about 2 fall apart. Began revving very high @ stoplights. Engine shut down in park after revving & jolting. Last straw. Traded car in 1 week l8r.

The Last Volvo I Will Own
By hiram on 05/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

My S80 T6 is the seventh Volvo I have owned. This is also the last one I will purchase. At 31,000 miles the steering rack and most of the front suspension failed. Since the car was Volvo Certified these repairs were covered under warranty. However, the delays, fowl-ups and outright lies by the dealer service staff have forced me to demand the dealer (Transatlantic Motors in Hyannis, Massachusetts) buy back the car. The car is going on its sixth day out of service, primarily because of the service department's ineptitude in ordering parts properly. Frankly, I find more respect and consideration in the service department of the local Hyundai dealer.

It's a Ford!
By It's a Ford! on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

All complaints posted apply to my auto too! Buy the extended warranty. Maybe the numerous "kinks" will be out of the car by 50K. Having logged as many as 8-16 annual trips to the dealer for repairs, why take a chance? I bought the warranty, at 45k. When not in the shop, the car is a dream to drive. Repairs major:38k mi. slow down on the freeway = throttle etc; noisy suspension = motor mounts,struts,etc.. Minor annoyances:door lock, steering wheel adjustment failures/breakage. Brakes wear fast 3-front,1 rear replaced before 40k;tires too -nope not the driver, its the car (soft, safe Volvo brakes, heavy car (note the motor mount failures).

An OK car
By Stevenski on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This Volvo was just an OK car. Just was to many problems to over come the good looks.

Great, but buy the extended warranty
By dave j on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

The S-80 Turbo is a fantasticly designed car. Most of the problems have been peripheral electrical glitches, i.e. the door lock control module, short range remote, etc. Only one significant failure: New transmission under warranty! Volvo was great and replaced it immediately plus a rental car, but no trannie should fail at 40k. I'll wait and see, as I just purchased the Volvo extended factory warranty and plan to keep the car to at least 7 years and 100k+. It's worth it.