2000 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Expensive Comfort
By JohnnyBo on 08/29/05 16:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

This is a great ride. Smooth and comfortable. But the mechanical reliability is horrible. I have had all the same problems reported by others here; ABS controller; throttle, sunroof, universal joints. I rarely get in and out of service for under $300. Usually much much more. Ford reliability is showing through.

Luv it and leave it !
By Mark on 08/12/05 14:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Enjoy driving my S-80 but beginning at 55K miles repairs have been constant. Now have 100 and have to sell because it is costing me $1000 per quarter for repairs. The mechanic said that the items needing to be fixed are not common problems. Great. I can't wait until the common problems occur. I hate the idea of selling but my comfortable car is no longer dependable. If dependability could be improved, I would buy another one. i.e. wheel hub $700, throttle $1200 a/c next last 4 months in repair. Sorry Volvo.

Volvo must go
By KCKid on 05/24/05 21:17 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Great car if you can afford to keep it in repairs. Dealership must live off of the income from service dept. Transmission replaced at 80,000. Various other expensive problems.

Fabulous Car
By Sandra Flaherty on 04/29/05 20:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've had my 2000 Volvo S80 T6 for almost five years now and love it (my 1999 was plagued with problems and at the dealer's most of the time). It's the most comfortable car I've owned, and drives and handles like a dream. I know there have been problems so I purchased the extended warranty as I plan to keep the car for at least seven years. My car has been relatively problem-free except for replacing the transmission while under the original warranty--also replacing the "chirping" glove box. The service department at Tacoma Volvo has provided me with outstanding service.

Very nice w/ drawbacks
By John on 04/23/05 21:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used at 70,000 miles and have put over 40,000 on it in just over one year. The ride is excellent, the interior is extremely comfortable, and it looks grrrreat! I have had the throttle control valve replaced for about $1,000, after dumping $600 on same problem and cleaning of the injectors. You will know when the throttle control valve gets dirty when the idle RPMs go up and down and the computer automatically shuts off the cruise while going down the highway because the RPMs are not steady enough. If yours gets dirty DO NOT bother having it cleaned once to avoid the cost of replacement. Replacement can be delayed but not avoided. Just get it replaced and save some $$.

Great Car To Drive To the Shop
By Sportscarnut on 04/23/05 05:58 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

In a period of 18 months the following failed: ignition switch, oxygen sensor, mass flow meter, motor mount, upper strut mount, headlight assembly, brake rotors, ABS control unit, turn signal assembly, turbo oil return line, front strut assemblies (2), door trim piece, turbo oil seals, etc. It also had a nasty habit of throwing black brake dust from the front rotors down the side of the car. The really bad part is that if it had been even somewhat realiable, this would be an unbelieveable car. It is nice to look at, very comfortable, relatively easy to work on, and it is very cheap on the used market (probably due to the horrible reliability).

Don't By A 2000 Volvo S80 T-6
By Nicole on 04/21/05 13:42 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car is horrible. I purchased this car used and I have had problems with ever since. My car is in the shop every 3-4 months for things other than regular maitenance. This car has had two recalls on it since I have owned it. I had to replace the ECU and the power steering rank. Luckily I had the VIP select warranty. I have prolems with the engine stalling while I was in freeway traffice along with my daughter in the car, I have had to have the radiator replaced, amongst other things. I have owned this car for a year and half and it's been in the shop so much that I just should have stuck with a Honda Accord.

Great Car Until It Breaks
By Sportscarnut on 03/16/05 19:06 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Had my S80 T6 for 18 months from 22K to 40K miles. During that time, the following failed or broke: upper strut mounts (2), oxygen sensor, mass flow sensor, motor mount, lower control arm, strut assembly, front brake rotors, ABS control unit, turbo oil return line, dashboard clock, ignition switch, turn signal switch, headlight assembly, exterior trim piece, door trim piece, etc., etc. Additionally, when I sold it, one of the turbos was blowing oil and the transmission shifts had gotten mushy (neither of which the dealership was willing to correct). Other than that, it was the best car you could ever own. It was fast, handled great, and was very comfortable. It also got about 20 mpg.

Great Car
By Arthur on 03/07/05 00:18 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Lots of complainers on here, but so far no major problems with my purchase. One instance of fuse blowing on Driver Motorized Seat, but easily fixed. Definitely purchase extended warranty on any vehicle you plan to purchase. Excellent handling in turns, very comfortable seating. Great acceleration on freeway, especially when passing. Great sound system. True luxury feel with excellent safety features and handling.

Very Happy S80 T6 Camper
By dixiebullfrog on 02/26/05 12:39 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Three years & 70,000 miles later, I still look forward to driving it to work (70mi RT) as much as on road trips! Turbo is much more responsive than basic engine (drove both before buying). Passengers are always surprised at excellent road ride, extremely comfortable seats, and excellent interior layout. Acceleration is phenominal from a dead start or passing on 2-lane roads. HU-801 Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound system - WOW! Sound of CDs is concert- hall quality. No cassette player; you won't miss it. Read all the reviews at this site - read between the lines. Look for the real problem; many times it is the repair facility/dealer or someone who hasn't read the owner's manual.