2000 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Volvo wears out
By Jim on 09/16/06 09:11 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used at 28,000 and have put only 14,000 on each of the last two years. At 56,000 miles the transmission went and the quote from Volvo was $3,500 to fix. since it was just past the 50,000 mile warranty Volvo offered no assistance and they lowballed the value of the trade-in, even though I was offering to buy a 2006 S80. Based on the unreliability of the car and the atitude of Volvo this was the first and only Volvo my family will be owning.

The Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Mel on 08/09/06 08:28 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I'm 53 years old and have owned a lot of cars, but none beats the 2000 Volvo S80 Turbo. I have no idea what the other people are talking about, but I've had nothing but excellent reliability and pure driving pleasure. I've owned the car for almost two years and drive it everyday. I get 21 mpg city and 25 highway. Short or long distance driving experience is nothing short of superb. The turbo is awesome, but I also own a 2000 Volvo S80 nonturbo, which is just as great (owned for 6 years and NO bad experience, just routine maintenance). I love my 2000 S80s. I will purchase the 2007 S80, but I won't trade in my 2000 S80s. I'm keeping them.

Waste of money
By Jenn on 06/27/06 08:04 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used 4 months ago and have brought it back to the dealer 3 times for repairs including faulty locks, broken heater fan, shocks, constant stalling while driving, gloppy engine oil, throttle replacement. It's a total lemon. Don't buy one!

Stay away
By No More Volvos on 06/19/06 09:44 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car is terrible and I had chronic problems (sway bars, electrical system, power steering, ABS, electrical, etc. I have had practically all the same problems that everyone else who has rated this car has had. Repairs and routine maintenance are extremely expensive yet with this caliber of car you wouldn't mind paying once in a while if the reliability was better. I bought the car in 2000 with 5,000 miles on it and traded it this year with 47,000 miles. I traded on my first car other than a Volvo in 20 years.

good car, if you get one cheap
By connor on 03/25/06 19:05 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

well it is a good car, but the fuel economy could improve, i average 19, and 25 on a long trip. the build quality is okay, could improve.

Looks Good - Did't Last
By Gator104 on 03/10/06 04:15 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

We bought this used with 39,000 miles. It has low profile tires which was a mistake as the noise from them is almost unbearable. Had the front suspension replaced at 87,000 (ride still noisy even after that). Had the sunfoof guides replaced due to roof rattle. Also, light bulbs burned out on a routine basis - a big pain. Little trim items kept breaking that had to be replaced - also a pain. THe radio/CD was of poor quality with poor sound and reception. Don't know if the lack of quality was the fault of Volvo or Ford cheapening things once they took over. Resale value does not hold at all. Finally dumped this dog at 89,000 miles and bought a used Lexus RX300, which is wonderful.

What has happened to Volvo Quality
By MDB51 on 02/05/06 15:09 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

This was my second Volvo. My first was a 1994 that was great. I looked foreward to the 2000 S-80. Intially it was fine, I do put a lot of miles on my cars but I also religiously keep them serviced too. It seemed that after the warrently was up everthing seemed to go bad. My biggest problem was first my right front wheel assembly collapsed to the tune of about $3000. Then a year later the left side collapsed-the same amount. I heard there was a factory recall on U joints and I suspect that I was not the only one to have this problem. The front under trim kept falling off. I finally got rid of it for a Mercedes which still has quality in their cars.

Luxury at a bargain price
By Robert on 12/04/05 20:59 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I fell in love with the styling of this car the first year it was introduced--not the brick that Volvo enthusiasts admire. This is the most exciting automoabile I ever owned. But it's not just the looks that make it so great. It is a teriffic touring car, with a combination of smooth acceleration with power to get you into or out of the flow of traffic at will, and the comfort to drive for hours without fatigue. Navigation system is first rate. Backup radar has paid for itself several times, preventing rear end damage backing up in tight quarters. It's been a very reliable car, the only issues being cooling fan and battery replaced under warranty. Despite the power, highway mpg is 27.

Good Car to Drive
By Jose on 10/10/05 13:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I purchased my first Volvo 280 as a certified pre-owned in September 2003. I had a few small gliches at the beggining of my ownership which have been fixed by the dealer at no cost, namely problems had to do with rough idle, and system required maintenance. For the last year the car has performed excellently with just normal maintenance performed

Should be as reliable as Volvo used to be
By Jimmy on 09/28/05 23:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 54k on it, mostly for volvo reputation of durability and reliability (not any more). I have to change the power steering rack ($900) Cooling fan (before they make a recall). Every visit to volvo dealer is like going to HELL, they charge you for the aire you breath. Every thing typically cost you 10 times compared to the same issue in an american or Japanese car. I am already looking for either Honda or Toyota.