Used 2000 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Best first car.
By BLKBLT1991

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought my s80 for $2000.00 and it's been a been a better car than the cars that my friends bought for over $8000. I love the car. It's a little bit expensive but it's soo durable. I don't know why people think it's so crappy. It can destroy audis and mercedes. My father a certified auto mechanic and car body specialist and helps me maintain the car. It's performance is amazing if you know how to drive.

Favorite Features

Durability, luxury, and safety features.

Do not buy this car
By bruce

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new. What a piece of junk. Interior fell apart had to be reupholstered. At 50000 miles the head gasket blew $3,000 fix.Other problems to numerous to list est. repair costs at 60000 miles - $10,000.Just trying to save someone else the same mistake.

Great interior/drive, spotty reliability
By Robert

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in July of '08 with 74K miles on it and was given a 3 month warranty from the dealer. I noticed the transmission slipping noticeably almost immediately and took it in to the dealer, as I've read these cars have transmission problems. It was covered by the warranty and replaced for free. I've also had the front brake pads and rotors replaced and the cruise control works sporadically. The interior is stylish and extremely comfortable, and the drive is great. Plenty of power. I would tell anyone in the market for a 2000 and later S80 to be careful when looking. Make sure the car is in good shape. If it's been treated well, there shouldn't be too many problems.

Favorite Features

Exterior/interior design, Interior comfort, drive and performance

Suggested Improvements

Lackluster reliability, ride can be loud at times

Run!
By shade56

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car for our daughter. Volvo=safe and reliable ,right? Wrong! This car had it's 60k check up before we purchased. One owner, immaculate care, extended warranty so every squeak was addressed and car had 59k on it. Took it in for timing chain replacement (knew it would be considerable), but two days before, ABS, check engine, dipped beam messages popped up, and the passenger window refused to roll up the last inch. Well, the dealer that gave the car a clean bill of health 4 mo. ago, now says it is going to take $7,000 to fix. Are you kidding me? Says our best bet is to trade it in...they will give us $3,500 for it. Oh, Ford owns Volvo now.

Suggested Improvements

Don't bail them out!

Poor Engine Performance
By lbyers

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

My 2000 S-80 has 87,00 miles on it. I purchased it in Oct of 2000 with 18,000 miles on it. The computer was replaced about 2 years later and thats when the problems started. My car was never the same. Now I am having problems with the mass air flow sensor. Every 6 months it needs replaced. Yet when the remove the code from the computer, it runs fine for about 2 weeks. And now it is starting to have electrical issues, in addition to eating head and tail lights.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Fix all the elecrical issues