Used 2000 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

My Volvo's affair with my mechanic
By Vicki Laidlaw

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

After putting more than 275000 miles on my '92 Pontiac Bonneville (with no need for engine work - just liked to have brakes and tires), I decided it was time to retire the old workhorse and buy a little luxury. I bought my Volvo S80 at a used car dealership, where I noticed that the warning light for the airbag was on. The dealer said the Volvo mechanics could reset that sensor - apparently not! Turns out that Volvo put the airbag SENSOR under the driver's seat carpet. The used car dealer STEAMED that carpet, thus ruining a $1000 sensor. My car's now in the shop for the second time in three months. Volvo engineers ought to be taken out and shot for what they've done to this car!

Driving comfort and excellent range - I usually get over 500 miles per fill up. I commute 90 miles each day, so I appreciate that.

Reliable electronics, affordable service. If Volvo is going to build expensive cars that break THIS often, they should give the owners a break. The Volvo mechanics cringe when a 2000 S80 shows up - it's a lemon!

Smooth Ride/ Front End Electric Problems
By Dvoice

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Car Drives exceptional, only had car less than 30 days, purchased used, taken in for repair at least 5 times; for light bulb outage, faulty alarm, gas tank door; CV joints, bolts on front suspension, wind shield wipers; best advise, purchase extended warranty! Volvos are great safe cars but the 2000 S80 has many electric and front end problems, in addition to console and sun roof rattling, also Poor AM reception, but overall sound system is superb!I would purchase another Volvo but not without a warranty

Favorite Features; Comfortable seats! Like sitting in your living room! Smooth ride, Handles the Road, Much like BMW'S I previously owned,in comparison to BMW Suspension not as tight; Low Road noise, and EMACULATE SOund SYTEM!!! Very Sleek and Classy Vehicle!

Improvement on Electric devices, Front End Repairs, AM Radio Reception, annoying console rattles and blind spots, repairs and parts are costly; you may be without a car due to ordering and waiting on parts!So keep a rental car in mind during repair time

S80 T6 after four years: Still happy
By jarchdeacon

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Our 2000 S80 T6 has over 70,000 miles and still feels and drives like a new car. I'm very pleased with this car. Note that I did purchase the extended warranty (up to 100K miles) from Volvo which turned out to be a good idea (it has paid for itself). After the 50,000 mile warranty expired, I've had to replace some DSTC parts, NAV system parts, and so on) all of which were adequately covered by the Volvo VIP plan. I will consider another S80 purchase in the future.

1. Volvo leather seats - simply the best, especially for long drives. 2. Good strong turbocharged engine (T6); turbo lag is minimal and good acceleration when you need it.

1. NAV system display is too dim in direct sunlight. 2. Would like to see an integrated blue tooth phone system (voice controls, etc) so you never have to take your hands / eyes off driving to use your cell phone.

Fun in the Kansas sun!
By Mahlon McCaleb

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Aside from the fact that Volvo has created vehicles that can be serviced primarily only at the dealer (where nothing is inexpensive), this is an awesome car. Combination city/hwy economy is 24mpg. She handles excellent in wet or dry conditions and it is by far the most comfortable car I have ever driven! I'd stay away from the T-6, but the 2.9L is exceptional.

Very supportive and comfortable seat and very good visibility.

Make it so the keyless remote control is less than $50.00 bucks including programming. Right now they cost over $220.00 total for just one remote.

Would I do it again?
By Psycho

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Yes, if it were a newer model S80. The 1999 & to a lesser extent 2000 model were plagued with electrical problems. Since I bought mine, the steering rack, gas tank door stop, rt headlamp assy, computer software, various light bulbs, electronic throatle body assy, body rattles, & other stuff too numerous to remember have been diagnosed as defective. Volvo of Nashville declined to honor the factory warranty, & gave poor service. Volvo of Cinncinatti was great! You can't gas up w/o removing the key or the computer goes wacky. Too many quirks. Quality greatly improved after Ford took over and poured $$ into Volvo. S60 is bullet proof per several servie

Power. I punch it it goes- fast& powerful. A beautiful car to look at. Top of line stereo- awesom! Fuel econcmy 30 MPG- impressive. Seats- leather & power- great touring sedan.

Electronics & rattles. Was disappointed that the 2K Bonnevile I had gave far less trouble as does still my 1999 Ford F250 at 130K miles- factually no troubles ever. Volvo is a premiumn Euro car. It needs to act like it.