2000 Volvo S80 2.9 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Love my S80
By John Burke

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

At the risk of being premature in my evaluation, this is the best riding, quietest, most fun to drive car I have ever had. I knew Volvo was a quality automobile judging from my wife's 1991 940GLE. The dealer is great! I haven't had the need to have my car serviced yet, but judging from the superior service my wife has received, I feel I can look forward to a long and fruitful relationship with Don Beyer.

Favorite Features

Ride, looks and amenities.

Suggested Improvements

Better radio controls.

Volvo S80 2000
By S80volvo

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

When shopping for a new vehicle, the choose of models included BMW 5, 300E Mercedes, and the STS Cadillac. At 6'2" the Volvo was the most comfortable and provided front wheel drive. Along with a cheaper price tag.

Favorite Features

The two features I enjoy the most are the HVAC system and the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

My sun roof seal is not air tight.

Overall good ownership experience
By DaveF

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Generally a pleasure to own (lease) and drive. Dependable all-weather vehicle. Love the twin turbos, combined w/ an excellent manual gear selection mode. Exterior styling, as well as the quality of paint/trim, is excellent. Interior fit/finish is just o.k. Disappointed by fake wood molding & squeeky interior panels.

Favorite Features

Twin Turbo get-up-and-go, excellent reliability and attractive exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

Replace fake wood interior panels - beneath a car in this price range. Biggest draw-back - service department @local Volvo dealership. Lack of quality control requires returning vehicle 2-3 times to get even routine maintenance correctly performed.

Some flaws, and not again
By FirstS80T6

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have several complaints about this car. First of all, the 17-inch upgraded tires are not suitable for any winter driving in the Northeast. I learned this the hard way. Second, driving with the windows and sunroof open will cause the rear view mirror to shake very violently at 60mph. Third, maintenance and autobody works are extremely expensive. It costs me over $700 to replace a cracked headlight! Routine maintenance services were over $200 each visit. Fourth, the suspension and the steering are too soft for my liking. Last, the visibility is very poor. For the amount of money, it is not worth it, and I will definitely not buy the S80 again.

Favorite Features

Upgraded stereo system with Dolby surround sound sounds great. AC and Heat work very fast. Actually, the HVAC is probably the best feature of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Steering could be more accurate. Suspension could be firmer, like the Maxima for example. The brake feel could use some improvement as well. It is very hard to moderate.

99 Volvo S80
By mac99

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Cost $3000 @ 59,000 miles for a new transmission. Warning ligts on constantly, nusaince items breaking, and over all poor quality. I would recommend any other car but the S80

Favorite Features

stereo

Suggested Improvements

Fire the design engineers

2000 S80 Wont buy another
By RGrabber

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car is expensive to maintain which I anticipated upon purchase. what I didn't anticipate was the amount of maintinance. The electrical system is forever causing problems, I estiamte that I have had 6 bulbs replaced by the dealer and I have replace fuses at least 15 times. The stabilizer (at least that's what the dealer called them) seem to need replacement every 20,000 miles my next replacement (needed now) is outside the warranty. It may look better than previous Volvos but it isn't built better. I'll not replace this one with another Volvo.

Suggested Improvements

If something like the stabilizers have a problem in design than extend the warranty. Have the electrical system fixed, don't just change bulbs until the warranty runs out.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned!
By s80nightmare

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

How I wish I knew what I was getting into three years ago! I have had nothing but problems with my 2000 T-6 and the first one (a 99 T-6) was taken back by the dealer. Volvo tried to make a really awesome car but put it on the market to let the consumer find the bugs! Shame on them! Mechanically, it is by far the most unreliable car I have ever had. My advice: SAVE YOURSELF A HUGE AMOUNT OF TIME, MONEY, HEADACHE, AND HEARTACHE AND DON'T BUY THE S80!

Favorite Features

the power!, very efficient heat-A/C system and heated seats, quiet ride, and I agree . . . anytime it actually starts!

Suggested Improvements

Where do I start???? It's a very expensive piece of junk!

HAVE OWNED MANY VOLVOS - 10 since 1971
By RFG

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Good driving car on the long trips- reasonable gas milege 23+ mph( but 93 Octane). Big trouble with the right wheel assembly falling off in the driveway after a bad dealer required suspension fix! Only weakness has been the suspension noise and troubles. Not sure it was worth the $667/mo. lease rate.

Favorite Features

Comfort and safety reputation as well as a classic Vovlo styling which lasts for a while

Best Car In Its Class
By Mel

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Best car I've ever owned. Performance, safety, security, ergonomics, comfort are tops. Outstanding follow up support from Bob Penkhus service department. If there's a problem, they will fix it. No problems here.

Favorite Features

Beautiful car, comfort, size of trunk space, tripometer.

Suggested Improvements

For the price of the car, a compass should be on the rearview mirror.

Best Car In Its Class
By mel

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Favorite Features

Beautiful car, comfort, size of trunk space, tripometer.

Suggested Improvements

For the price of the car, a compass should be on the rearview mirror.