Used 2000 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Should be as reliable as Volvo used to be
By Jimmy

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 54k on it, mostly for volvo reputation of durability and reliability (not any more). I have to change the power steering rack ($900) Cooling fan (before they make a recall). Every visit to volvo dealer is like going to HELL, they charge you for the aire you breath. Every thing typically cost you 10 times compared to the same issue in an american or Japanese car. I am already looking for either Honda or Toyota.

Interior design, comfort ride, CD changer and handling and stability on high ways.

Go back to volvo in 80's and 90's. Volvo dealers have to change their thinking of crushing and squeezing their customer and pushing them to the end.

Expensive Comfort
By JohnnyBo

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

This is a great ride. Smooth and comfortable. But the mechanical reliability is horrible. I have had all the same problems reported by others here; ABS controller; throttle, sunroof, universal joints. I rarely get in and out of service for under $300. Usually much much more. Ford reliability is showing through.

Much improved reliability for a "luxury" sedan.

Luv it and leave it !
By Mark

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Enjoy driving my S-80 but beginning at 55K miles repairs have been constant. Now have 100 and have to sell because it is costing me $1000 per quarter for repairs. The mechanic said that the items needing to be fixed are not common problems. Great. I can't wait until the common problems occur. I hate the idea of selling but my comfortable car is no longer dependable. If dependability could be improved, I would buy another one. i.e. wheel hub $700, throttle $1200 a/c next last 4 months in repair. Sorry Volvo.

interior comfort and style

Volvo must go
By KCKid

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Great car if you can afford to keep it in repairs. Dealership must live off of the income from service dept. Transmission replaced at 80,000. Various other expensive problems.

Great stereo.

Quality

Fabulous Car
By Sandra Flaherty

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've had my 2000 Volvo S80 T6 for almost five years now and love it (my 1999 was plagued with problems and at the dealer's most of the time). It's the most comfortable car I've owned, and drives and handles like a dream. I know there have been problems so I purchased the extended warranty as I plan to keep the car for at least seven years. My car has been relatively problem-free except for replacing the transmission while under the original warranty--also replacing the "chirping" glove box. The service department at Tacoma Volvo has provided me with outstanding service.

A new car warranty of 100,000 miles.