Used 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Not for the long run
By ampxs

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car is 2010 with 160k miles on it. I bought it AS-IS and they gave me a new battery since the one it had was dead. I got a great deal on it considering the milage. I had no issues with it for about the first year, after that the ac went out I have replaced the radiator myself for $90. I have replaced 2 ignition coils which I did myself ($80 a piece). I found out from the volvo dealer I needed a new ETM which is 1200 installed. I run the car without it being replaced and it surges. I changed both the axels which was difficult. I do oil changes every 6k miles. It has 220k miles now and needs a timing belt but it is 800 to replace. Its a good car if you dont mind putting lots of $

I enjoy the speed of the car, it is very fast. The sound system is great; no need for an aftermarket one. The seats a comfortable great for long trips, they are also heated. It handles well on the road. The trunk is nice and big.

They should extend the recall on the ETM. The timing belt should be replaced with a chain. The Volvo dealer is not good, the people there are very rude, don't return your phone calls and just want to suck all the money out of you.

Have Enjoyed this Car
By Anonymous

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased my 2000 Volvo S80 less than two years ago with 97500 miles on it. I have been taking care of it, and it has been taking car of me. Disregarding preventative maintenance, the only parts I have had to change were the oxygen sensors (which were supposed to be changed at 100000 miles) and the battery. Many people complain that the repairs are expensive, which may be true for someone who for someone who feels bound to the dealer for all repairs. However if you are willing shop around for labor and parts, you can make the repair and maintenance experience comparable to other cars.

interior drive experience reliability

increase horsepower better gas mileage

Terrible reliability
By Shelline Holmes

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I thought the Volvo was a reliable vehicle. But I should have done more research. The Volvo which I brought had 55000 miles. Today it has 69000. The transmission has to be replaced. The brakes have to be replaced again. The check engine light is on and off. The sensor system is bad. The control arms have to be replaced. The repair bill is just unbelievable!!!! I have to let the car go.

I felt safe but always fearful something would happen. I never expected the transmission would go.

Volvo should build their cars like they did in the past.

Has the worst interior!
By msC

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I agree with previous reviews about the maintenance, every time I took it for maintenance was $300 or more. The leather has cracked and the door and window panels has totally come apart. Had window tint done at dealership it literally shrunk, they guaranteed it but when went to dealer, states they don't used that company any more and I need to find someone to replace it.

Exterior, nice looking car.

Interior poor!

quality of plastic parts is very poor
By rosarockville

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Agreed with other review that after 5 yrs the parts started falling apart. The repair labor charge is awfully high. Even one $50 plastic parts would need 6 to 8 hours labor to replace it. The dealer claimed that those parts are very difficult to reach. I like my volvo car but the repairing charges definitively will make me re-consider for having Volvo for my next car. Now, every time, I can not have my car back from the shop without paying $1300 - $2300. They just told me the oil trap needs to be replaced which got replaced 2 yrs ago, and it costs a little more than $1000.

This car is quiet and suspension is good

Volvo should use much better quality of plastic parts