2000 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Not for the long run
By ampxs on 02/05/13 11:07 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car is 2010 with 160k miles on it. I bought it AS-IS and they gave me a new battery since the one it had was dead. I got a great deal on it considering the milage. I had no issues with it for about the first year, after that the ac went out I have replaced the radiator myself for $90. I have replaced 2 ignition coils which I did myself ($80 a piece). I found out from the volvo dealer I needed a new ETM which is 1200 installed. I run the car without it being replaced and it surges. I changed both the axels which was difficult. I do oil changes every 6k miles. It has 220k miles now and needs a timing belt but it is 800 to replace. Its a good car if you dont mind putting lots of $

Have Enjoyed this Car
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased my 2000 Volvo S80 less than two years ago with 97500 miles on it. I have been taking care of it, and it has been taking car of me. Disregarding preventative maintenance, the only parts I have had to change were the oxygen sensors (which were supposed to be changed at 100000 miles) and the battery. Many people complain that the repairs are expensive, which may be true for someone who for someone who feels bound to the dealer for all repairs. However if you are willing shop around for labor and parts, you can make the repair and maintenance experience comparable to other cars.

Terrible reliability
By Shelline Holmes on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I thought the Volvo was a reliable vehicle. But I should have done more research. The Volvo which I brought had 55000 miles. Today it has 69000. The transmission has to be replaced. The brakes have to be replaced again. The check engine light is on and off. The sensor system is bad. The control arms have to be replaced. The repair bill is just unbelievable!!!! I have to let the car go.

Has the worst interior!
By msC on 05/16/10 18:26 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I agree with previous reviews about the maintenance, every time I took it for maintenance was $300 or more. The leather has cracked and the door and window panels has totally come apart. Had window tint done at dealership it literally shrunk, they guaranteed it but when went to dealer, states they don't used that company any more and I need to find someone to replace it.

quality of plastic parts is very poor
By rosarockville on 03/24/10 10:39 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Agreed with other review that after 5 yrs the parts started falling apart. The repair labor charge is awfully high. Even one $50 plastic parts would need 6 to 8 hours labor to replace it. The dealer claimed that those parts are very difficult to reach. I like my volvo car but the repairing charges definitively will make me re-consider for having Volvo for my next car. Now, every time, I can not have my car back from the shop without paying $1300 - $2300. They just told me the oil trap needs to be replaced which got replaced 2 yrs ago, and it costs a little more than $1000.

i love my volvo... so far
By Ratna on 02/10/10 00:43 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I see all the negative reviews on the volvo. i recently just purchased my volvo with 136000 miles. my volvo is in great shape. my leather seats are in great condition, no tears, rips, my radio, heated memory seats, sunroof and all features still work. im not sure if the previous owner of this car just took really good care of it or what but so far i love this car. i have since i drove it the first time. i would never have even looked at a volvo in the past, but so far my experience has been wonderful. we will see in a year if i have any major issues.

Don't buy
By ACT on 05/20/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Worst car I've ever owned by far. Great ride when I'm not spending money on transmission, wheel bearings, rattling moon roof, rotors, etc . . . Stay away.

Best first car.
By BLKBLT1991 on 03/16/09 20:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought my s80 for $2000.00 and it's been a been a better car than the cars that my friends bought for over $8000. I love the car. It's a little bit expensive but it's soo durable. I don't know why people think it's so crappy. It can destroy audis and mercedes. My father a certified auto mechanic and car body specialist and helps me maintain the car. It's performance is amazing if you know how to drive.

Do not buy this car
By bruce on 03/04/09 09:05 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new. What a piece of junk. Interior fell apart had to be reupholstered. At 50000 miles the head gasket blew $3,000 fix.Other problems to numerous to list est. repair costs at 60000 miles - $10,000.Just trying to save someone else the same mistake.

Great interior/drive, spotty reliability
By Robert on 01/28/09 15:47 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in July of '08 with 74K miles on it and was given a 3 month warranty from the dealer. I noticed the transmission slipping noticeably almost immediately and took it in to the dealer, as I've read these cars have transmission problems. It was covered by the warranty and replaced for free. I've also had the front brake pads and rotors replaced and the cruise control works sporadically. The interior is stylish and extremely comfortable, and the drive is great. Plenty of power. I would tell anyone in the market for a 2000 and later S80 to be careful when looking. Make sure the car is in good shape. If it's been treated well, there shouldn't be too many problems.