Used 2000 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Not for the long run
By ampxs

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car is 2010 with 160k miles on it. I bought it AS-IS and they gave me a new battery since the one it had was dead. I got a great deal on it considering the milage. I had no issues with it for about the first year, after that the ac went out I have replaced the radiator myself for $90. I have replaced 2 ignition coils which I did myself ($80 a piece). I found out from the volvo dealer I needed a new ETM which is 1200 installed. I run the car without it being replaced and it surges. I changed both the axels which was difficult. I do oil changes every 6k miles. It has 220k miles now and needs a timing belt but it is 800 to replace. Its a good car if you dont mind putting lots of $

I enjoy the speed of the car, it is very fast. The sound system is great; no need for an aftermarket one. The seats a comfortable great for long trips, they are also heated. It handles well on the road. The trunk is nice and big.

They should extend the recall on the ETM. The timing belt should be replaced with a chain. The Volvo dealer is not good, the people there are very rude, don't return your phone calls and just want to suck all the money out of you.

Scrap at 75,000 miles
By r_brian

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Front a arms replaced, timing belt, and now the fly wheel became toothless. Two thousand to fix this item and the value of these cars is gone.

Failed Transmission
By joesmith7

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new in 2000, owned it for 12 years and put 126k miles on it. Car was running fine with no problems until about 112k when a pipe fitting on the radiator cracked and ruined the radiator. At 126k the transmission ripped itself apart. Got 3 separate transmissions put in and all 3 of them broke immediately. Either scraping the car or buying a new trans to put in, either way I've put a lot of money into it. And the gas mileage sucked, 14-15 city is unacceptable.

Good audio, solid car, easy to steer, good power, twin turbo is awesome, very luxurious for the low price

Gas mileage is terrible. 14 city is unacceptable. Brakes need to be bigger and needs more than a 4-speed transmission.

Have Enjoyed this Car
By Anonymous

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased my 2000 Volvo S80 less than two years ago with 97500 miles on it. I have been taking care of it, and it has been taking car of me. Disregarding preventative maintenance, the only parts I have had to change were the oxygen sensors (which were supposed to be changed at 100000 miles) and the battery. Many people complain that the repairs are expensive, which may be true for someone who for someone who feels bound to the dealer for all repairs. However if you are willing shop around for labor and parts, you can make the repair and maintenance experience comparable to other cars.

interior drive experience reliability

increase horsepower better gas mileage

Terrible reliability
By Shelline Holmes

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I thought the Volvo was a reliable vehicle. But I should have done more research. The Volvo which I brought had 55000 miles. Today it has 69000. The transmission has to be replaced. The brakes have to be replaced again. The check engine light is on and off. The sensor system is bad. The control arms have to be replaced. The repair bill is just unbelievable!!!! I have to let the car go.

I felt safe but always fearful something would happen. I never expected the transmission would go.

Volvo should build their cars like they did in the past.