2000 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
Not for the long run
By ampxs on 02/05/13 11:07 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car is 2010 with 160k miles on it. I bought it AS-IS and they gave me a new battery since the one it had was dead. I got a great deal on it considering the milage. I had no issues with it for about the first year, after that the ac went out I have replaced the radiator myself for $90. I have replaced 2 ignition coils which I did myself ($80 a piece). I found out from the volvo dealer I needed a new ETM which is 1200 installed. I run the car without it being replaced and it surges. I changed both the axels which was difficult. I do oil changes every 6k miles. It has 220k miles now and needs a timing belt but it is 800 to replace. Its a good car if you dont mind putting lots of $

Scrap at 75,000 miles
By r_brian on 12/06/12 13:03 PM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Front a arms replaced, timing belt, and now the fly wheel became toothless. Two thousand to fix this item and the value of these cars is gone.

Failed Transmission
By joesmith7 on 09/16/12 11:20 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new in 2000, owned it for 12 years and put 126k miles on it. Car was running fine with no problems until about 112k when a pipe fitting on the radiator cracked and ruined the radiator. At 126k the transmission ripped itself apart. Got 3 separate transmissions put in and all 3 of them broke immediately. Either scraping the car or buying a new trans to put in, either way I've put a lot of money into it. And the gas mileage sucked, 14-15 city is unacceptable.

Have Enjoyed this Car
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased my 2000 Volvo S80 less than two years ago with 97500 miles on it. I have been taking care of it, and it has been taking car of me. Disregarding preventative maintenance, the only parts I have had to change were the oxygen sensors (which were supposed to be changed at 100000 miles) and the battery. Many people complain that the repairs are expensive, which may be true for someone who for someone who feels bound to the dealer for all repairs. However if you are willing shop around for labor and parts, you can make the repair and maintenance experience comparable to other cars.

Terrible reliability
By Shelline Holmes on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I thought the Volvo was a reliable vehicle. But I should have done more research. The Volvo which I brought had 55000 miles. Today it has 69000. The transmission has to be replaced. The brakes have to be replaced again. The check engine light is on and off. The sensor system is bad. The control arms have to be replaced. The repair bill is just unbelievable!!!! I have to let the car go.

Not so Reliable after all
By Ian on 07/10/10 00:52 AM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I had always heard Volvo's were reliable Safe cars and I came across one and decided to buy it because it was a good value for that price. It's really the most luxurious vehicle you can get for the price. There were many issues from the start for me. First the interior started to fall apart and that wasn't any fun because the prices for parts are ridiculous. Eventually my entire motor blew because Volvo decided that A plastic radiator hose was appropriate for a $55,000 vehicle and it broke off and blew the entire engine. Basically It is a very nice, fun, comfortable car to drive, but it is not worth it for the horrible reliability and price of parts that comes with the ownership of this car.

200,000 mile car feels like new
By josh smith on 06/28/10 18:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I recently bought my 2000 Volvo s80 t6 it had crazy mileage so i paid 2k for it body was in great shape motor is so quiet you cannot even tell its running. handles great! with more power than my A4 or A6. interior design looks great has a small issue with the seat belt buckle catching and tearing the leather on the door skin easy fix with one of those v seat belt support things. it does lack in the turning radius but it still handles better than any American car. a slight mod to the air box and the car is fast. over all it has been the best 200k car i have seen ill re review this car at 400k I'm sure it will make it. as for costs with eBay and cl parts are no longer so expensive.

She is fast and fun! I love Volvo!
By Ju-Ju '50 on 05/25/10 17:59 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

The previous owner took excellent care of her. She hardly looked sat in, much less driven. I couldn't believe my luck, to total my Volvo sw and find a beaut waiting for me to buy her. It's amazing to put my foot on the accelerator and find out I'm going 93 and it feels like I'm going 35! She feels like an affordable luxury car. Leather seating, air conditioning ducts behind the rear seats, front seat warmers, wiper blades on the headlights, a button for wet weather control. The ride is quiet, cruise control makes the drive effortless, smooth. She was used after all; the locks needed replacing, and the transmission because I forgot to shift out of low while driving on the freeway.

Has the worst interior!
By msC on 05/16/10 18:26 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I agree with previous reviews about the maintenance, every time I took it for maintenance was $300 or more. The leather has cracked and the door and window panels has totally come apart. Had window tint done at dealership it literally shrunk, they guaranteed it but when went to dealer, states they don't used that company any more and I need to find someone to replace it.

2000 Volvo s80 Dr T-6
By Coolmo on 04/19/10 12:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car is the worst car I've ever own. I saw the mix reviews about this car and was hoping maybe I would get one that was reliable. It turns out I shouldn't make my life career gambling. I bought this car with 80k on it. First it was the motor mounts then it was th shocks and rattle noise. then the check engine light. The the SRS light. Then it would stall once in a while. usually when i try to merge unto the highway. Now i am told the cars computer is not working correctly. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER VOLVO. do yourself a favor and take heed to this review(unlike me) stay away from volvo do not buy. especially this model.