Used 1999 Volvo S80 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Never Again
By Jim

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I purchased what I thought would be a "safe" car and a few nights ago the car basically told me to flee for my life; the message light read "Brake Failure - pull to stop and seek service". Since I've owned it it has leaked fuel in puddles, lost its turn signals, airbag failure, headlight failure . . . everything that goes wrong with this car seems to threaten my safety. This is our 4th Volvo and we've witnessed the steady decline of what was once a safe, reliable car. Never again!

It's a great looking car that drives nice - but it may as well have a credit card swipe machine to pay as you go.

I would suggest that they go back to building quality cars.

I have a bad feeling...
By lynnetta

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for a year now and have been satisfied but recently small problems have been arising and I have a bad feeling about it. There is a warning about the emission system that is quite alarming and though the car was advertised as a gas saver I'm averaging about 21 mpg. I love the car but am thinking about getting rid of it because for the price I don't feel it is going to hold up like it should.

I love the heated seats and the extras like the 4 disc cd changer and stereo and cruise control on the steering wheel.

For the money, this car should hold up longer and I also dislike the cupholders.

Great Car
By Chris Furman

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

So Far I've put on over 10,000 miles on car without any troubles at all. Very comfortable, fast, reliable, and enjoyable. The European Technology in 1999 is beyond compare to Domestic cars today. Very affordable when looking for luxury and reliability. Great fuel economy as well. I'm averaging around 27 mixing the city and highway travel. Non-stop highway I'm averaging about 32mpg. I didn't think that was to bad for a 3600 pound car. I hope this helps if you're thinking about buying this model car.

Dashboard style convience. Manual/Auto shift. Higher Speed limiter (150mph in US). Great acceleration. Stability Traction Control. High Performance Brakes from factory. Very roomy. Lot's more, just get one and see

Would like to see some LED lighting on these cars from factory. No other improvements necessary.

Lemon Alert
By jennifer

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right after my Son was born because I wanted a safe, spacious and comfortable car. 2 days later it wouldn't start and its been in and out of the shop over 10 times since. I have poured thousands and thousands of dollars into it and it continues to have more and more things wrong with it. I just last week had a new transmission put in and it has about 6 new things that need to be repaired. There is constantly an emission light/ check engine/service required light on and no one can ever seem to fix it for more than a few days. It has been one heartache after another. I would not recommend this car for anyone who wants to remain sane.

spaciousness, appearance, comfort

I don't have enough time to list

It's getting traded in!!
By Happy days ahead...

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

What can I say this thing is like a boat...happy day when you get it and even happier when you sell it! Get this junker out of my life....I'm getting killed on the resale and I'm thrilled! I'm just so sick of the redundant issues and poor quality. Volvo, my Grandpa would be ashamed of you...he owned nothing but Volvos his whole life! Only two good things to say 1. Never left me stranded 2.Fun to drive when running right (so not too often)! I'M FREE...I'M FREE!!!!!

That it's gone tomorrow!